Morion; heard of it?

Le Fanu

I have been gathering some black stones in a small pouch I have; I have tourmaline, Tektite (meteorite) and onyx. I went to my local rock shop today - hoping maybe to find tumbled jet or obsidian - and found a beautiful black tumblestone called Morion. I've never heard of this, and it isn't in the first volume of the Crystal Bible. It must be a type of black quartz, right?

I know absolutely nothing about it and it is very, very beautiful.

Presumably, like all black stones, it is for grounding... Anyone have any interesting information about Morion?

cardlady22

If I'm remembering correctly, it's a super dark smoky quartz.

ETA: Yes, and it's sometimes called cairngorm.

page 116
Gemstones of the World Revised and Expanded Edition
by Walter Schumann
ISBN: 0-8069-9461-4
Sterling Publishing Co

Le Fanu

quick replies! I have to add that the one in the link is not the exact stone I have! This one is more transparent than mine. Mine has flecks of white in, but it is a beautiful stone. I have Vol II of the Crystal Bible on the way, so maybe it is in that!

I love the idea of having four black stones laid out in a square as a tiny, impromptu, instant card-reading altar!

Thank you for that info. Cairngorm, that's an odd name, but reading bodhran's link, I see it has a connection with the Cairngorms in Scotland. Seems to me that it is a very densely, opaque smoky quartz...