How should I make friends with tarot cards?

amaranta_s

Some times when I'm asking a quite serious question from Tarot it doesn't response at all.It makes me upset and hopeless.eg I'm asking about a love matter and really sth special is going on between involved people and all I get is irrelevent cards.Can u help me?

omnislashed

How long have you been using Tarot cards? Do you often switch decks or methods? Additionally, do you execute any minor rituals before you do a reading? This can "center" you significantly, making you more receptive, creating a seamless channel between yourself in the cards. Develop a routine before each reading, engaging in whatever feels most comfortable for you. You can be serious about the question, but make sure you're also relaxed, as if you were hanging out with a buddy of yours -- yet a buddy that knows something you don't. ;)

Advice on how to establish a deep connection: Sort through the deck, selecting out any particular cards that resonate with you personally -- ones that you believe could represent you as a person. Whether it's the imagery that tantalizes you, the guidance it lends you, the personal characteristics and correspondences of the cards ... anything that feels personally intense for you. Then, select any cards that harbor positive attributes that you want to possess, cards that give you something meaningful to strive for, present and future.

Meditate on these images, gradually feeling a bond strengthening between yourself and them. Communicate with them, either verbally or internally, as if they were a close friend of yours -- somebody who you could share your most intimate perspectives with. If you want, you can even carry the deck with you for a few days, or carry specific cards (although this is much easier to do with runestones, rather than cards. Maybe somebody can give advice on this matter.)

Something I do: Whenever I'm asking a question of an intensely emotional nature, I hover my hand over the cards, silently communicating with them as though they were a confidante, with a sibling-like energy. They're still formless and spiritual, yet also personified, in a way. I envision the deck conversing with me, rather than me simply asking something from them. Then, I draw the cards that harbor a "spark" of energy over them -- sometimes I feel temperature fluctuations, sometimes I feel a powerful, indescribable emotion, sometimes tingling in my fingers, sometimes magnetic pressure or slight pain. This exercise has been really helpful, for me.

(You might also want to post a confusing relationship reading in the "Your Readings" forum. There's a possibility that, however irrelevent the cards might seem in context of your situation, other people might have unique insights that you hadn't considered before. Just a suggestion for the future. :))

Sinduction

I don't do any of those things. :D

I don't think "making friends" is what's needed and I'm a bit puzzled by that expression anyway.

All you need to do is look at the cards, really look at them. What catches your eye? What feelings come to you? Every card has limitless meanings. It's all about what it means to you that matters.

If you are very new to tarot, try drawing a card every day and see how it relates to your day.

How is it that a card is irrelevant to what you are reading about? The cards can be read in any context, I think you are just having trouble figuring out what they are trying to tell you. A great exercise for this is to draw a single card, think about how it would define a situation. Then how it would define an action. Then a solution. Each card can be read countless ways, experiment!

queenxofxwands

In my experience with the cards, if i ask a question and the response i get seems to be irrelevant, it usually means one of 2 things.
A) The tarot is literally telling me to shift my focus onto something completely different, or,
B) I am refusing to see the relevance

irisa

Also think about the question ... often if the question is not specific or confused so is the answer.

irisa :)

pasara

Try pulling just one card. It may be that you are trying to interpret too many at once and the message is getting muddled. No matter what that card is work to make the connection. At the least it will be framing your inner exploration of the relationship and making you stretch your perspective.

The other thing I would suggest is to imagine you are not doing the reading for yourself, but for a complete stranger about a situation you know nothing about. It is likely that your subjectivity is clouding things.

As a final thought, you might want to ask the cards, "What am I not seeing or understanding about this relationship?" You may think you know what is going on, but there could be something else there entirely of which you are not aware, whether it be feelings of another, past influences, or your own restricted thought patterns.

amaranta_s

Thanks every body. I should try again.

Nytebugg

they pick up energy. like the other night I was asking a question and usually I ask and then sort of go blank with my thoughts. I kept thinking of the question and then thinking about waffles, and needing to do laundry. needless to say what I got was tarot salad. There's some marzipan in your pie plate bingo. little Buffy reference for those who watched the show.
I just picked the cards up took a few deeps breathes and redid it.
watch that you don't keep doing it over and over looking for an answer. sometimes I will even say explain to me in a way i can understand the outcome to blah blah blah. my tarot teacher says you can ask as many times as you like but she says if you don't get it the first 3 times you try; you wont get it on try 7 or whatever. write it down and come back another time.

Peccavimus

I wonder how you phrased your question. Often, a reading fails not because of the cards or the reader, but because of the question. Try asking something like "what do I need to know about my relationship with so-and-so." Tarot does best with fairly open questions, unlike other systems of divination that function best with specificity.

Another thing that might help: limit the size of the reading and while interpreting ask "what do all these cards have in common?" That might help you see the relevance. For example, the Devil, the Hanged Man, and the eight of swords all have in common the idea of stasis or standstill.

tarotguidance

In my experience, irrelevant readings occur often when reading for self. On most occasions, I am stressed over a situation and need answers. This doesn't mean that you are not relating to the cards.

I believe that sometimes the cards can not give you the answers because the situation is so jumbled with feelings and are at a point where anything could happen, or the answer would be more stressful than you could handle at that point, therefore it gives you random cards to let you know this is not the time to do a reading.

If you believe that the cards are sending messages from spirit guides, then it should be easy for you to understand that in a way they may be protecting you by not giving a result during a reading.

If you believe that life is full of twists and turns, then you should be able to see that sometimes the answers are not always in the cards.

I hope this helps.