PDA

View Full Version : Different Views in Different Browsers

yirabeth
01-03-2010, 10:02
On the recommendation of my boyfriend, I'm trying a new web browser - Google Chrome. Ordinarily I use Firefox.

When I load AT on GC, my links in the blue bar at the top (ie, user cp, faq, upgrade, etc) change -- at the end, next to log out, the link I'm used to, "Quick Links" is displayed as "Open Buddy List". I reloaded the page in Firefox to see if a forum update had changed this, but it's the same. So I opened AT in IE -- same thing, the link there is "Quick Links".

I don't use the buddy list, but I sure do my quick links..this may be a deal breaker for me!

Is anyone in the know about why this would appear like this, what I may be able to do to fix it, or if there's some really ODD quirk about Google Chrome that I'm just not gonna like?

Thanks!

~Yira

ETA - Google Chrome also displays a search box on the bottom, and a "rate this" as well, which don't appear on Firefox. Didn't notice this until I posted....

gregory
03-03-2010, 21:42
!!

So does mine (I don't usually use Chrome for here.) I never noticed. That really WOULD put me off using it !

The rate thread thing is available in strange places in various browsers - and quite often doesn't work anyway, as many threads cannot be rated.

ETA and instead (?) I see a "mark forums read" button.... What FOR ? (Is it any use to anyone ? I never get that one !)

yirabeth
03-03-2010, 21:56
The next morning I went to do some homework online (forum/online software for the class called moodle) and it totally whacked out the site, couldn't reply to a posting or post in the student wiki (and I receive points for my grade for that!) so although I liked the look/feel/features of Google Chrome, it'll need some updating under the hood to be usable for me :) (I will feedback/bug report though because I do like it...)

If I just arbitrarily marked forums read here, I'd never find anything!! hehe the unread icons/colors helps me find new stuff :)

~Yira

gregory
03-03-2010, 21:59
I just have an automatic link to my subscriptions.

Opera isn't bad, if your bf is determined to move you.... And I just looked - and it lookes like in Firefox. I keep meaning to try safari, too, but....

I am a browser geek...

I like Chrome as a rule - but this IS weird....

yirabeth
04-03-2010, 00:41
Naww, I'll stick with Firefox for now :) I did like Chrome too, but until they fix the forum type issues I'll stick with what I'm using -- like the BF said, I could use two browsers, but I like to keep things simple. So I'll just use my Firefox - and leave the Chrome on my system for when he has to use it.

Thanks for looking into it on your Chrome though, so I could see it wasn't me hehe!

~Yira

gregory
04-03-2010, 00:48
I use four......

It helps with the dragons website !!!!! :D

JSNYC
04-03-2010, 01:31
ETA and instead (?) I see a "mark forums read" button.... What FOR ? (Is it any use to anyone ? I never get that one !)
Mark Forums Read is for people who use the New Posts search (also at the top). If you only want to see new posts, hit Mark Forums Read and then the only posts that will come up in the New Posts search is posts that were created after you marked everything read.

Eh, I have used it a couple times... Not particularly useful but not useless either.

gregory
04-03-2010, 02:08
Thanks ! I have never DARED click it in case something was Lost For Ever in my annals !

Is there a way to undo it ???? If so - I MIGHT try....

JSNYC
04-03-2010, 02:21
Thanks ! I have never DARED click it in case something was Lost For Ever in my annals !

Is there a way to undo it ???? If so - I MIGHT try....
The first time I hit that button I did have a little eek! :eek: what did I do feeling?!? And I looked for a way to undo it, and I didn't see one. But when I realized what I had done (and that it wasn't permanent), I stopped looking...

yirabeth
04-03-2010, 02:58
See, when I'm bored and nothing to do (granted that happens almost never...) I start paging through a random forum and reading old posts. I've learned a lot this way...if I marked it all read, I'd never know what I'd already hit before :)

~Yira