A must read! Tarot customer behavior.

Amanda

So, I'm a business student. And naturally, I'm inclined to ask about tarot customer behavior. What is it that you think customers evaluate at the end of a tarot reading to determine how good it was?

I thought this would be a good post so we can put ourselves in check as professionals (or those wanting to be professionals) to also provide the best customer experience possible. And, I'd just like to hear others' thoughts so I can rethink my own process when giving a tarot reading.

So, what do you think customers need, and what do you think they look at and think about after the reading has concluded to evaluate it?

Amanda

Okay, I'll start, maybe I'm misrepresenting myself here...

Say, you have your own little shop where you read. Do you think that clients will judge your abilities and what you delivered to them based at all or in part on how your shop looks?

And, what about you, the reader, is important to make them want to come back and see you again?

Mellaenn

Hi, Amanda. I haven't read on the pro side very long, but I can certainly speak from the point of view as a customer. I judge my readings by how pertinent they are to my question and how useful the advice is.

I also get resentful at any attempts by the reader to boost sales of other items in the shop (no thank you, I do not need any hematite bracelets because your reading says I'm not very grounded nor do I need a protective amulet because I got a reading that shows challenges ahead).

celticnoodle

Amanda_04 said:
Okay, I'll start, maybe I'm misrepresenting myself here...

Say, you have your own little shop where you read. Do you think that clients will judge your abilities and what you delivered to them based at all or in part on how your shop looks?
personally, i think as long as the shop is clean, and in a neighborhood where they can feel safe-no. I've been to many places to have tarot card and psychic readings, some were dumpy, and frightening and I never went back after the first reading-I don't even recall how that reading went for me, because I was so nervous about not feeling safe there. :laugh: not really fair of me in judging the reader herself, but that is one thing I think would be important.

I've also been to places that have been quite ornate in detail-decorated with mostly candles and incense and all kinds of divination tools, statues and paintings. I've also been to tarot card and psychic readers homes-and they look as normal as any other home-inside & out. I've been read by these people at their dining room table, (like I read for some of my clients), on their porches, sitting in their yards, or in a separated bldg. that was turned into their 'reading' studio. (I'm contemplating this as well-a separate bldg on my property). quite honestly I prefer simple to ornate. it leaves me more at ease-and thus, more open, I believe.

And, what about you, the reader, is important to make them want to come back and see you again?
well, knowing how I feel most comfortable with the reader who does readings in a very normal appearing dwelling--not a lot of incense, (my allergies bothers me w/a lot of the incense and candles burning) or candles burning, and a nice comfortable and clean room to sit in, that is rather quiet--I seem to be most comfortable.

as for personal appearances--I don't really judge a person, or at least, I hope I do not-and don't think I do-by how they dress or look. I've been to readers who wear very odd clothing--and I've had great readings. I do recall one reader who was very good--the only problem with her is that she didn't look like she had a bath in a weeks time-and she also smelled like it. it wasn't too bad tho, as we sat outside. there were two of us who went for a reading that day-and it was a gorgeous July afternoon. but, I pulled my friend aside and told her to be sure to sit down wind of her--because it was quite awful. the reading though, was so fantastic, I even gave her a tip for the great read.

so, all in all--if you're in a place where your client will feel safe and secure and at ease--and you as the reader are clean, I think that goes A LONG WAY to making sure your client returns. of course, great readings help there too! :D

does this answer your questions?

edited to add: I agree with Mellaenn. I do not return to those readers who try to sell me other things--potions, amulets, etc. also, I don't like it if the reader tells me that someone put a curse on me, and blah, blah, blah. or if I return with $100.00 they can light a 'special' candle to help me with my problems. :rolleyes:

Amanda

Mellaenn said:
Hi, Amanda. I haven't read on the pro side very long, but I can certainly speak from the point of view as a customer. I judge my readings by how pertinent they are to my question and how useful the advice is.

I also get resentful at any attempts by the reader to boost sales of other items in the shop (no thank you, I do not need any hematite bracelets because your reading says I'm not very grounded nor do I need a protective amulet because I got a reading that shows challenges ahead).

Good response! I'm in agreement about the boosting sales thing. That's a turn-off to me too.

I know that one of the best readings I ever had, I felt like I was completely taken care of. I wasn't required to say very much, and she recorded the entire thing on tape to send home with me. I really liked that and was glad to be able to relisten to what she had to say (because I was sitting with her for an hour, and I know I probably wouldn't have remembered all of it).

Amanda

celticnoodle said:
personally, i think as long as the shop is clean, and in a neighborhood where they can feel safe-no. I've been to many places to have tarot card and psychic readings, some were dumpy, and frightening and I never went back after the first reading-I don't even recall how that reading went for me, because I was so nervous about not feeling safe there. :laugh: not really fair of me in judging the reader herself, but that is one thing I think would be important.

Agreed for sure!

I've also been to places that have been quite ornate in detail-decorated with mostly candles and incense and all kinds of divination tools, statues and paintings. I've also been to tarot card and psychic readers homes-and they look as normal as any other home-inside & out. I've been read by these people at their dining room table, (like I read for some of my clients), on their porches, sitting in their yards, or in a separated bldg. that was turned into their 'reading' studio. (I'm contemplating this as well-a separate bldg on my property). quite honestly I prefer simple to ornate. it leaves me more at ease-and thus, more open, I believe.

A lot of that sounds nice! I like candles, myself. Incense if they're not too strong...

well, knowing how I feel most comfortable with the reader who does readings in a very normal appearing dwelling--not a lot of incense, (my allergies bothers me w/a lot of the incense and candles burning) or candles burning, and a nice comfortable and clean room to sit in, that is rather quiet--I seem to be most comfortable.

Quiet is good, comfortable is good... what about lighting?

as for personal appearances--I don't really judge a person, or at least, I hope I do not-and don't think I do-by how they dress or look. I've been to readers who wear very odd clothing--and I've had great readings. I do recall one reader who was very good--the only problem with her is that she didn't look like she had a bath in a weeks time-and she also smelled like it. it wasn't too bad tho, as we sat outside. there were two of us who went for a reading that day-and it was a gorgeous July afternoon. but, I pulled my friend aside and told her to be sure to sit down wind of her--because it was quite awful. the reading though, was so fantastic, I even gave her a tip for the great read.

Oh no! :) Glad you got a good reading out of it though... I'm open to seeing how other readers operate. It's always interesting to see their personality come through in various ways... I think that's why I'm interested in seeing what others have to say here.

Forgive me for not knowing you well enough, but do you ever give any little 'extra touches' when giving readings?

shelikes2read

There is one subset of people who are going to evaluate their experience based on whether the reader tells them what they want to hear. It saddens me sometimes when those people end the call shortly after hearing, for example, that their ex is unlikely to resume contact. Usually, the cards have some additional, constructive things to say, but if the caller ends the call prematurely, I don't get the chance to tell them the other things I have in front of me.

That behavior only applies to a minority of the client base, fortunately. In most cases, people do wait to hear the rest of what I have to say, even if I'm unable to give them the answer they want to hear. But I do read four nights a week, and there'll be at least one or two such calls in the course of a given week. I don't take it personally. I do feel sorry for the callers in question... the topic must be a painful one for them if they can't bear any answer other than the one they were looking for.

On a more positive note, there also are a few people who became repeat callers for me because I was able to give them readings that included upbeat, empowering or proactive content.

So I would like to put forth that one of the things that some customers base their evaluation on is the reading content itself. Not everyone wants to shoot the messenger when there's bad news, but some people are more inclined to offer a favorable review when the reading contains good news.

Shimure

I do not own a shop. I normally conduct the readings at cafes, new age shops (which work with me) or at my home or for events. However, a setting is quite important and i normally bring along a black table cloth which i can lay my cards on.

I get a lot of varied responses from clients. i need to see the reason why they request for readings.

Some are for fun, some are really serious require counseling in certain form...

If i am at an event, i normally try not to touch strongly on the negative aspects of the cards and the clients are mostly just for a fun time or not really very serious about readings. However, once i had an encounter that the client kept insisting that i was a bad tarot reader and tarot was a lie..... for that client i did a 3 card reading for him based on what would happen to his business and the following cards appeared, 7 of swords, tower and the high priestess. i told him to take an additional card as an affirmation to the high priestess and the hierophant appeared..... I told him to buy more fire insurance as his shop may have fire.
He threw more insults on me and took my card..... 5 days later, i received a call for him with an apology and a request for a full 3 hour session at his house as his business did catch fire..... arson.....
So actually it depends..... on what you do when you read... for me.... telling what the cards tell is the most important regardless of the customer's reaction.....
On another occassion, a client refused to pay me for a reading which i told him of a failed business venture.... however his wife came to me and paid me in the end as what i said was the truth....
End of the day.... be true to your cards.

Amanda

shelikes2read said:
On a more positive note, there also are a few people who became repeat callers for me because I was able to give them readings that included upbeat, empowering or proactive content.

Those are my favorite ones. :)

So I would like to put forth that one of the things that some customers base their evaluation on is the reading content itself. Not everyone wants to shoot the messenger when there's bad news, but some people are more inclined to offer a favorable review when the reading contains good news.

Absolutely. I do think I have experienced that as well, as a reader. That they may become a little more favorable to the reader/reading if it's got some good news in it.

How do you feel about 'manipulating' (and I use that word lightly) the cards to be able to give a client something favorable? For instance, you pull some bad news... do you think it's okay to pull an additional 'advice' type of card to end the reading on a good note? Or maybe just ask in general for something positive the client can look forward to in addition to the rough patch coming up?

Amanda

Shimure said:
I do not own a shop. I normally conduct the readings at cafes, new age shops (which work with me) or at my home or for events. However, a setting is quite important and i normally bring along a black table cloth which i can lay my cards on.

I get a lot of varied responses from clients. i need to see the reason why they request for readings.

Some are for fun, some are really serious require counseling in certain form...

Good topic! Actually, I've wondered this myself... how do you tell what the client is looking for? Any cues that you go by to tell if they are looking for something fun, versus something a little more serious (if they don't directly tell you and aren't making it easily apparent)?

If i am at an event, i normally try not to touch strongly on the negative aspects of the cards and the clients are mostly just for a fun time or not really very serious about readings. However, once i had an encounter that the client kept insisting that i was a bad tarot reader and tarot was a lie..... for that client i did a 3 card reading for him based on what would happen to his business and the following cards appeared, 7 of swords, tower and the high priestess. i told him to take an additional card as an affirmation to the high priestess and the hierophant appeared..... I told him to buy more fire insurance as his shop may have fire.

Oh your method sounds interesting! I like the idea of pulling an additional card to the High Priestess.

He threw more insults on me and took my card..... 5 days later, i received a call for him with an apology and a request for a full 3 hour session at his house as his business did catch fire..... arson.....

Wow, 3 hours! That's a long time... what all do you talk about within that time? Do you go deeper into all aspects of their life while they sit and listen, or do you let them ask questions, or maybe both?

So actually it depends..... on what you do when you read... for me.... telling what the cards tell is the most important regardless of the customer's reaction.....
On another occassion, a client refused to pay me for a reading which i told him of a failed business venture.... however his wife came to me and paid me in the end as what i said was the truth....
End of the day.... be true to your cards.

Very good point. Stick to the cards! :) I have another question for you. As a professional reader, does client feedback help or hinder you more? Do you feel it is easier to stick to the cards if you don't know someone? Or do you find it limiting to get feedback from clients who become repeat customers because the next time you do a reading for them, you remember the previous feedback you received from them?