PDA

View Full Version : Google and Firefox

firecatpickles
10-03-2010, 09:46
What is the deal with Google search when using Firefox? here is sometimes up to a 10 second delay (no it's not my cable connection) waiting till the Page loads.

Anyone else have this problem?

thorhammer
10-03-2010, 09:49
Dunno . . . I use Ecosia.org . . . saves trees.

\m/ Kat

Stormdancer
10-03-2010, 10:46
What is the deal with Google search when using Firefox? here is sometimes up to a 10 second delay (no it's not my cable connection) waiting till the Page loads.

Anyone else have this problem?

I've been using Firefox for quite awhile, and never had a problem....but now I'm having HUGE issues. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I'm infected...:bugeyed: NOT ME, I meant my COMPUTER!! :D

There may be something else going on. Have you installed any odd stuff from google? I vaguely remember installing something called Google Chrome...but I'm not sure if that's related to the problem or not.

firecatpickles
10-03-2010, 10:50
It might. I used Google Chrome and tried to update, only to get an error code. I uninstalled Chrome but now can't reinstall it.

I think I will try and uninstall my Google search bar. I wonder if that might be it.

Stormdancer
10-03-2010, 11:00
It might. I used Google Chrome and tried to update, only to get an error code. I uninstalled Chrome but now can't reinstall it.

I think I will try and uninstall my Google search bar. I wonder if that might be it.

I honestly don't remember exactly when I started having problems, and It's probably not the Google chrome, although I think that was around the same time, maybe a wee bit earlier? I think mine started when I actually bought an internet security program from zone alarm ( as opposed to the freebies, which were working fine ). I think I had something "hidden" and it WOKE up with that install. Dunno, planning on wiping it in the near future *shrugs*

gregory
10-03-2010, 11:08
Mine's fine - Firefox, Opera, Safari, iE and Chrome (just tested the lot !)

But I NEVER add search bars. I don't see the point.

In case it helps - I use AVG with AdAware as backup, and everything seems happy and clean :)

yirabeth
10-03-2010, 12:50
I also have installed Google Chrome - no issues. But, like Gregory, I never install the toolbars/search bars...

Perhaps therein lies the problem?

~Yira

cardlady22
10-03-2010, 13:25
I use Firefox, but my home page is set to dogpile (bundles Google, Yahoo, bing and Ask)
Another resounding encouragement to leave toolbars off!

Abrac
10-03-2010, 16:25
I'm using Firefox and haven't noticed Google being very slow lately. Occasionally it gets slow but it doesn't last very long. It's hard to say, it could be any number of things. If you're using a very old version of Firefox that might be part of it. 3.6 is the newest. :)

thorhammer
10-03-2010, 16:52
I'm using Firefox and haven't noticed Google being very slow lately. Occasionally it gets slow but it doesn't last very long. It's hard to say, it could be any number of things. If you're using a very old version of Firefox that might be part of it. 3.6 is the newest. :)
This is a good point. But I've always found FF to be good at prompting me to update the latest versions. My prompt for 3.6 was only a few days to a week ago - did you get that, Fire Cat?

\m/ Kat

gregory
10-03-2010, 19:42
I just allowed my ashampoo toolbar, and noticed a slight slowdown (so I closed it again...) Knowing the extreme nosiness of google - and there is that DREADFUL new google thing that invades your privacy (googlebuzz) - if that has got into their toolbar now, I bet it WILL slow things down. Disable it. That is the most EVIL thing google has done in ages.

Here's (http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10452164-12.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheDownloadBlog&tag=nl.e415) an article about it. It isn't even easy to disable...

I'm still on FF 3.5.8 - I did get a prompt but haven't done it yet...

firecatpickles
10-03-2010, 20:16
My computer wouldn't let me uninstall the search bar but I have disabled it. I updated FF about a week ago to 3.6

Thanks for all your help.

gregory
10-03-2010, 20:40
My computer wouldn't let me uninstall the search bar but I have disabled it. I updated FF about a week ago to 3.6

Thanks for all your help.
Wouldn't LET you ?????

I'd nick over to the firefox forums and ask about that..... :mad: (In fact, I will !)

I note that it is in my extensions (disabled) but there is no uninstall button. :( BUT - it seems if your version of google desktop is out of date there is a conflict issue - that might help.

Or read this one ? (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions_Uninstall)

and this (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_toolbars).

Where it says:
Many toolbars can also be uninstalled using the settings available within the toolbar itself, for example:

Google Toolbar: The Google Toolbar for Firefox can be uninstalled by clicking the "Settings" button in the Google toolbar or, in older versions, by clicking the "Google" logo. You can then choose "Help" and then "Uninstall."

In fact - I just went to look and I do seem to have uninstalled it -must have worked it out when I got mad !! Yay me !

firecatpickles
10-03-2010, 21:02
No, it is my POS computer. It said uninstallation failed due to unknown error or something like that. It happens a lot to me with this thing. I need a mac.

gregory
10-03-2010, 21:31
On the forums (Mozilla) there is stuff about an unknown error and firefox updates - I would search, but I think it would be better done by the one wiht the error, for when it says stuff like "And did the number 491674892563 come up at this point"...

I'm betting it's fixable. The Firefox forums rock !

Abrac
11-03-2010, 05:05
If you have an operating system that uses User Account Control (UAC), very often it has to be turned off before it will allow you to uninstall.

In Firefox, a lot of the extensions don't have an Uninstall button unless you turn off UAC, but if you turn it off then you can uninstall them. But I still haven't figured out to uninstall Plugins. :(

firecatpickles
13-03-2010, 23:29
Thank you all for your input.

Firefox can kiss it and I am on Opera. I love it!!!

gregory
13-03-2010, 23:32
To each his own - I HATE Opera. I thought you were a chrome fan ?

firecatpickles
13-03-2010, 23:51
I am but, as I explained above, I get an error message whenever I try to install it :confused:

gregory
14-03-2010, 00:06
Oh - sorry.... Have you tried manually digging up the old Chrome files that may be hiding.... or cleaning out your registry ?

ETA you might like safari. Very FLASHY and apple-y.

firecatpickles
14-03-2010, 00:08
I was seriously considering throwing my PC in the retention pond out back, driving to Town Center and buying a mac and an I-phone. Today, Saturday.

I was so fed up.

gregory
14-03-2010, 00:14
You can get safari for Windows. (I kind of collect browsers. On account of this on line sort of game I play which... let's don't... but I suddenly needed another the other day and safari was the only one I could think of that I would trust !)

But seriously - you could try CClean and see if cleaning things out with that helps (it has a restore facility !) I'm betting Chrome dropped something on the way out !