Recharging Deck Confusion....

margi

I don't even know if I am posting in the right place, but I have a question.
My first exposure to the Tarot was when I was 17 and it was through my husbands Grandmother. I never really even tried to read cards until I was alot older. But I did watch her, and learn from what she said about certain cards. She always used the Thoth deck, even though she owned alot of other decks. I also never saw her doing any of the cleansing rituals or other things I have read about. But she always got extremely accurate readings....

So here's my question, I have been working with my cards for a little over 2 years now, and now with my favorite deck, I have been getting, like nonsense readings. They don't resonate with me at all. I have read about recharching your deck, reordering and other cleansing methods. I get accurate readings from other decks, so I am confused.

Is it the deck that needs recharging when this happens, or is it the reader? I get the feeling that the results of a reading depend alot on the person holding the cards, so if they're out of sync then the reading will reflect that, won't it? But then I am fine with other decks....can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks
Margi

Nytebugg

I put my decks back in order every so often. more for the sole purpose that I tend to read in different locations in the house and I don't want any missing cards. Nothing worse than reading a few cards short of a complete deck. Okay, lame joke.
sometimes when I get nonsense I just put everything back in order and put the deck away for a bit. I think I get bored with the same imagery all the time.
I have no ritual or cleansing thing. I just separate the suits and majors out and make sure everyone is there and uprighted.

Umbrae

I've never 'recharged' a deck. Nor have I ever re-ordered a deck.

I began in 1972.

That's my path. Yours shall be different.

margi

Nytebugg said:
I put my decks back in order every so often. more for the sole purpose that I tend to read in different locations in the house and I don't want any missing cards. Nothing worse than reading a few cards short of a complete deck. Okay, lame joke.
sometimes when I get nonsense I just put everything back in order and put the deck away for a bit. I think I get bored with the same imagery all the time.
I have no ritual or cleansing thing. I just separate the suits and majors out and make sure everyone is there and uprighted.

Hey Nytebugg,
I will try that. I also drag them around with me sometimes, and thought i was missing something about the cleansing thing....thought maybe they were picking up the chaotic energy in the living room and kitchen...5 kids are nearly always chaotic. I'm just learning about this whole cleansing thing, and don't know if I'm missing some crucial part of deck care...I didn't know there was any such thing until recently...

Thanks,
M

Sinduction

There are no rules. I would really caution anyone to get too caught up in rituals or beliefs to the point that it limits their reading ability.

I, too, have never cleansed a deck. I have no rituals and I read just fine.

If you think something will help, then it will but it doesn't have to. Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

margi

Sinduction said:
There are no rules. I would really caution anyone to get too caught up in rituals or beliefs to the point that it limits their reading ability.

I, too, have never cleansed a deck. I have no rituals and I read just fine.

If you think something will help, then it will but it doesn't have to. Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm kind of inclined to believe this line of thinking.....I can pretty much see Boni laughing at me or even asking the question.

Not to get all philosophical about it, but i was always led to believe that the Tarot are a kind of pathway showing us what we already know.... a way to tap into the subconcious mind, to put it simply. I don't just leave my decks lying around, I take care of them like I take care of my other possessions....but I have read so much about some of the ritualistic things that others do, I thought I may be missing something. Now, I'm just more inclined to believe that maybe I am supposed to learn to use my other decks. The Thoth scares me, but i do ave a deck, so maybe i need to learn something from that deck....

I think I will just do what feels right....if I get all caught up in the ritual, I could lose the actual experience in that whole process. Yes, like a self fulfilling prophecy....

Thank You for all of your insight!
M

irisa

I did once (just once)..... very long ago..... bury a deck in the garden for a week, only wrapped in cloth, because one of the many silly books, I read suggested it.

It didn't do me or the deck any harm but.. if it had rained... :D

irisa :)

Sulis

I've never consciously charged or cleansed a deck because I just don't see the need, I really do believe that the 'magic' comes from the reader.
I have wafted my reading decks through incense smoke but that's because I like it when they smell all smoky and of incense; it wasn't specifically to charge or cleanse them.

Go with what you feel comfortable with.

SunChariot

margi said:
I don't even know if I am posting in the right place, but I have a question.
My first exposure to the Tarot was when I was 17 and it was through my husbands Grandmother. I never really even tried to read cards until I was alot older. But I did watch her, and learn from what she said about certain cards. She always used the Thoth deck, even though she owned alot of other decks. I also never saw her doing any of the cleansing rituals or other things I have read about. But she always got extremely accurate readings....

So here's my question, I have been working with my cards for a little over 2 years now, and now with my favorite deck, I have been getting, like nonsense readings. They don't resonate with me at all. I have read about recharching your deck, reordering and other cleansing methods. I get accurate readings from other decks, so I am confused.

Is it the deck that needs recharging when this happens, or is it the reader? I get the feeling that the results of a reading depend alot on the person holding the cards, so if they're out of sync then the reading will reflect that, won't it? But then I am fine with other decks....can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks
Margi

My opinion is it's in the reader. Or in the connection between the reader and the powers that send the reader the answers. Or put another way it could likely mean that the universe is telling you that for some reason you are not meant to read with that deck right now. Sometimes we are meant to take a break from things and Divine Timing is involved. It's not us, it's just the universe guiding us down a different path. There might be somethign you are meant to learn now that you can only learn from your others decks so your answers are not working with the first deck to guide you to use the others more.

My best idea is that if you said that your other decks are working fine for you now, take out one of your other decks and ask it why you are having trouble reading with the first deck now...and/or what you need to do about it. That ought to get to the root of the problem. As I think we are all individuals and the reason this might be happening for one person might be different from the reason it is happening for another.

I've never charged a deck either. When this happens that a deck will not work for me I consider it simply a sign that I am not meant to work with it now and there is something more important that I need to work on with other decks. I just put the one that is not working away and move on to another. That has happened to me twice and a while later I felt the call to pick up the deck that had not worked again and it worked like gangbusters then and ever since. Sometimes it is just that we are not meant to be working with that deck as the time. It is not always our decision. Sometimes the universe makes that decision for us. And it won't talk to us through that deck if we are not meant to use it.

Babs

margi

Read the tarot myths, and as I live in a very "christian" area, I've heard most of them....and I am apparently going to hell, along with the evil spirits I invited into my life when I picked up that first deck...

I think I was just thrown that day, and have since realized that maybe my question was ridiculous....Grizzabella pointed that out with her explanation of the tupperware burial ritual in the myths thread....

Thank you all for humoring me, I'll just sit on a stupid question for a few days next time....or bury the offending deck in the garden......

M