Reading for others. How to prepare?

ShekinahLearner

So after some thought, consultation, and affirmation, I've decided to take my cards with me to a bachelorette party. I am going early with just a few other people, and a few of us are staying in a hotel room together. I won't be bringing the cards out for everyone, but might offer to read if the tone seems right during the pre-party.

I'm nervous, because I've only read for one other person my whole life.

I am curious to know what other people do to prepare themselves when they read for others vs. when they read for themselves?

Before I read for myself, I will usually light incense and take a moment to open myself up. I will meditate for a minute or two before and after to make sure that my mind and spirit are calm. I find that if I'm not at peace I have a more difficult time reading the cards and discerning what they are saying.

For those more experienced in reading for others, I'm curious to know what you do that makes it a positive experience?

SunChariot

I don't read for others in person. But for what it's worth, what I do is to take the focus off myself. I remind myself that my purpose is to focus on and help the other person. They have an issue or a problem that needs my help and I am there to give them that help. It's not about how I feel, it's about how they feel and how I can help them feel better.

Then I tend to ask for help (in my mind)...I tend to say something like this person needs my help, please send me the right cards to help them and the wisdom to to see what I am meant to see in them and to deliver the message in the best way.

But the best advice I think is to focus on what they are feeling and how you can help them with that instead of on what you are feeling. If you're not focused on your own feelings, things should run smoothly. Also when I ask for help, I can then let go and have faith that the result will be a good reading because I have faith in the source of that help.

Anyway, that is what works for me.:grin:

Babs

Umbrae

Baba Ram Das said in one of his later books on mediation, something like 'with practice, one can mediate on a bus'.

That's kinda it. You just get used to dropping down into that space at the drop of a card. You pull out your cards, drop down, and go.

Everything gets left behind. No worry about cards, no worry about meanings, no worry about being right...

Just you, the cards, and the sitter.

And a smile...always always always a smile. From the eyes.

Sinduction

I have no rituals, I just read. I do lots of spiritual work throughout the day, meditation, chakra, and energy work, so I am pretty much in that zone all day long.

I used to have rituals but I found that they held me back. If something didn't go quite right it stressed me out and my readings suffered.

Once I realized the magic wasn't anywhere but in me I didn't need anything else. Well, maybe a spread cloth if the table is dirty! :D

All I need is me and a deck.

Sometimes when the mood hits me, I will dim the lits and light some candles and put on some soft music. But this is strictly for my own personal readings and only if I feel like adding it. It is no longer a need or a ritual.

It's really all up to you! :D

greatdane

Sun, Umbrae and Sin, Great Tips!

I look for ways to just focus (I'm into meditation and some other things, but always like new perspectives and how others "get in the mood"). Really enjoyed reading what you do. Oh, just an fyi, does scent seem to help any of you? I've noticed that scent (right now, it's a lavender-citrus blend, Meyer's Clean Day with a few extra drops of lavender essential oil) helps me kind of clear my head and focus. Any others use incense or other scents?

The Guided Hermit

I plant my feet on the ground, mix the cards up and make certain that I tell the Guides this reading is for (name here). Then off we go!

The Guided Hermit

greatdane said:
(SNIP)Any others use incense or other scents?

When the e-cave is open for business, it's cedar for me.

greatdane

Thanks, Hermit!

I enjoy hearing any different rituals or things they use that help them get intune.

GD

SunChariot

greatdane said:
I look for ways to just focus (I'm into meditation and some other things, but always like new perspectives and how others "get in the mood"). Really enjoyed reading what you do. Oh, just an fyi, does scent seem to help any of you? I've noticed that scent (right now, it's a lavender-citrus blend, Meyer's Clean Day with a few extra drops of lavender essential oil) helps me kind of clear my head and focus. Any others use incense or other scents?

Yes, I always light a scented candle when I do a reading (either a reading for myself or for anyone else). As you said, the odour helps relax me and there's something about a candle that feels spiritual to me. Something about the smoke rising.... My current candle smells like chocolate.:grin:

Babs

greatdane

OK, Sun

LOVE the candle idea, I, myself, am a big believer in candles, but CHOCOLATE. Sorry, that wouldn't relax, it would make me want to whip up a batch of brownies or something :)))