why is tarot answering 'all' type of questions?

cherryberry

ok, this might be an odd question - but I just wondered, why are the cards actually answering all questions one asks.

I can maybe understand the 'mundane' or fun like 'should I watch movie A or B?'
as they are for practice, to get more used to the cards and so on.

But how about these - 'what did he do this morning?' or so, which is in a way spying on the person.

Does the 'spirit/higher self' (or whatever one thinks 'answers' with the cards) think there are no secrects, anything can be shared, does the 'spirit' have no concept of boundaries of people.

Maybe not...why else would it provide insight..

i am reall curious what peoples opinions are on this...I am still thinking :)

AmethystEyes

I think that if we were really not meant to know then it wouldn't tell us. Or maybe there could be times when the cards ARE saying 'none of your beeswax' and we aren't seeing it. But even asking what someone did or was doing, I don't think they would give us cards explaining when they are scratching their behind unless that person wouldn't care :laugh: But you do have a point. This could get philosophical in a way. Kind of there are no 'secrets' in life, there is just the things that we aren't seeing. Cause hey, if we were dead, (depending on one's beliefs of course) we could watch anyone we want to :laugh: There is alot of 'logical' mystery surrounding tarot in general. Maybe we should ask :laugh:

Maskelyne

The cards are just a prop; it's the reader who answers the questions. I think most of us see far more than we're consciously aware of. Some people can access this enhanced awareness directly; others need something to focus their intuition. The cards can play a variety of roles:
- I met a reader who just uses the cards to focus the querent's attention, while she reads the querent directly. She can also just look you in the eye and answer your questions, but the tea, cards, or handholding is a way to put you at ease.
- When I read the cards, I use them to focus my attention and intuition. The cards depict a variety of feelings, situations, memes, energies, or what you will, which apply broadly to human behavior. By thinking about all the things the cards could mean, I can sense which interpretations fit the current situation. In simpler terms, I use the cards to focus my intuition. Not that I'm any good at it, but when it works, that's how I see it.

This is just my own rather rationalist perspective; others may see it differently.

On a more mundane level, some readers wouldn't think it was ethical for them to answer questions about third parties who aren't present.

David

The crowned one

The cards actually have no limits you could say, rather only potential. They are useless without you and useless with someone who does not understand how to use them. Limitation is based partially on your level of knowledge, understanding and imagination and use of the cards. I generally ignore my intuition on a surface level when I read, and trust everything else.

Surface Intuition is not a tool I use with cards, they are a poor fit for me. I tried.

I find that the cards showing me the hidden and my gut often conflict with each other when I read for others. After all why pull a card for something you instinctively know already? If your intuition is that strong, you do not need cards.

Tarot answers all questions in spite of intuition, not because of it, if you take the time to learn.Tarot answers all questions because the cards are very general in their imagery and our imaginations/ wisdom/ knowledge/understanding/ likes and dislikes etc draws the colours and bits of art that appeal to us greatest within the cards artwork based on a emotional response to a set of words that we call "the question" and the art presented after the shuffle.

EDIT: I should add I strongly beleive in the use of the subconscious mind, I think some might say that this involves intuition, but its comes down to personal definition. "I already know it but I am not conscious of it or all the pieces are there in different brain boxes and need to bubble up to the conscious level" for me is a loose definition of subconscious in action.

That's my take...tonight.

214red

to be honest if your not meant to know the information i dont think you will find it out, like everything we only get information we should have...and tarot cant overwrite that.

ethics come into it ofcourse, but i dont see a problem for reading for a third party , i think it become a bit more dubious when its a a friend of a third party. I dont see why you would inquire about an ex-g/f or b/fs current squeeze , i think when you start casting the net that wide i think you should start questioning your motives for wanting to know.

also be aware that spirit is not above playing with you a bit, so sometimes if your asking the same q etc over and over they might just give you an answer thats at odds with your gut to see what you will do.

i think people make the mistake of thinking tarot can see everything, it only can see what its shown, and sometimes we shouldnt know certain things, and thats the same with every type of readings...

queenxofxwands

The tarot will answer any question you ask it, if you draw the cards. If you dont draw the cards or touch the pack, the tarot wont answer you. It answers, because you make it answer, regardless of whether or not the answers you get actually reveal to you what you are wanting to see. There are some cards i think that will clearly tell you, that , well, they wont tell you,lol. Its up to the person interpreting them to recognise it. Its an interactive tool. Yes, i agree with the comment about the cards being a prop for some. The interpreter or reader doesnt always really need to use the cards, but, the cards, ALWAYS need an interpreter. The beauty of the tarot is, it literally does cover all aspects of life, all levels, its an amazing tool, but without the reader, its just a pack of cards. I also believe that asking about another person is fine, you will only ever get information thats relevent to you anyway. And how many of you have done just a general reading, where there was no specific question, and all of a sudden you are telling the sitter about all these other people in their life anyway and how its affecting them? I dont think i have ever done a general reading for 1 person, that didnt involve the people around them. Because, we are affected by other people, they are gonna show up in our readings whether we ask about them or not. If we werent sposed to know the relevent info about the people in our lives, then i suspect there wouldnt be any people cards, but more probably, there wouldnt be any tarot.

cherryberry

DevilishAngel said:
This could get philosophical in a way. Kind of there are no 'secrets' in life, there is just the things that we aren't seeing. Cause hey, if we were dead, (depending on one's beliefs of course) we could watch anyone we want to :laugh: There is alot of 'logical' mystery surrounding tarot in general. Maybe we should ask :laugh:

that was indeed one of the reasons, why I asked indeed. I always feel awkward reading about third parties (sometimes they sneak in - ok, one listens) but a reading purely on someone not present, who hasnt given consent?
But then I thought - where is the info coming from, I am only interpreting/reading what I got from somewhere else...
As that is the case - it must be ok, as you said - once one is dead...well....other rules apply ;)

cherryberry

Maskelyne said:
The cards are just a prop; it's the reader who answers the questions.

yes, that is exactly the point - the reader answers, but he/she draws on intuition. If I am reading and answering questions it is not that I am all-knowing and just 'know' what the answer is to each question, I 'read' and present what I 'read' to the sitter. So - one is drawing on ones intuition, the intangible world, where things seem to follow different 'laws'.

Now whether I use cards, or a crystal ball or tea leaves - one either draws on intuition or interprets the learned meanings of the cards - in both case, in my personal opinion - it is not me knowing the answers, it is me 'reading' from somewhere, where the answers are known. AND most likely where there is no concept of ' this is about person X, you are person A, so shouldnt really ask'

hummm :)

cherryberry

The crowned one said:
I find that the cards showing me the hidden and my gut often conflict with each other when I read for others. After all why pull a card for something you instinctively know already? If your intuition is that strong, you do not need cards.
Good point, that may very well apply of one reads for oneself or good friends or family, but if one doesnt know the person - I agree with some who say the cards are a vehicle to get to ones intuition

The crowned one said:
Tarot answers all questions in spite of intuition, not because of it, if you take the time to learn.Tarot answers all questions because the cards are very general in their imagery and our imaginations/ wisdom/ knowledge/understanding/ likes and dislikes etc draws the colours and bits of art that appeal to us greatest within the cards artwork based on a emotional response to a set of words that we call "the question" and the art presented after the shuffle.
yes, from observation I think it is not an either - or.
Some read intuitively, not really worrying about the learned card meanings, some (like yourself, I understand, read the cards as they maybe have been intended to, specific meanings for specific cards) in both cases, if one does an email reading, ie picks teh cards for someone else - usually we see the back of the cards so are not consicously deciding - say for Justice or 10 of pentacles. So, if cards get chooses 'unknowingly' to the reader and they still make sense and are applicable to the siutaion of the 3rd party...it might be ok.

I am still not really comfortable with that thought, I think - I wouldnt like that everyone knows my feelings and fears, wouldnt like that others can read on me and get answers - so I shouldnt do it as well. BUT maybe that is am immature thing of me to say...maybe the 'soul' or 'spirit' isnt bothered about that at all. In the end - feelings are human, one doesnt need to keep them secret...maybe..

:)

cherryberry

214red said:
to be honest if your not meant to know the information i dont think you will find it out, like everything we only get information we should have...and tarot cant overwrite that.

ii actually think that is a very good point, sometimes readings are 'off' where one answer can be that - 'yeah things change, so whatever I said last week will happen but didnt was because people change their mind' OR it might be like you said, one asks, one gets an answer, but it is actually not the right one - because it wasnt any of your business ;) :D makes sense - never considered it that way!

Good point!!