Collecting VS. Reading

greatdane

I've noticed that collecting seems such a big part of tarot to so many people here. So "Open Mike Night" - Since obviously one doesn't NEED to have a lot of decks to participate and read and get into tarot, does it come down to being more of a collector or more of a reader? Or are most readers collectors? I'm not talking about a reader having 5-10 decks, I'm talking about people with more than, say 20-30. Does it become more about the collecting than tarot? I have to say, I can see the addictive nature, I already have so many calling my name, and I just started weeks ago :)))

GD

shadowdancer

Started weeks ago? Heck give it another 3 months and you will be scratching your head wondering how the heck you have so many, and did the tarot fairy come in the night when you were asleep or something :D :D (The clue the tarot fairy did come in the night is when you realise they had snuck out your credit card and used it when you weren't looking).

I went through a phase which lasted 3 years or so of wanting to have any deck that caught my eye. At my peak I had 104 decks. I then had a bit of a wake up call last year where I reminded myself I am a tarot READER and since then have been strict in trading / selling decks that were a good idea at the time but will not ever be used. I do have a few which are great image wise I couldn't part with even if they are not reading decks (If you want an example, look up the Fractal Firebird).

How would I describe myself now?? A reformed collector who is working so hard to be an owner of reading decks only. It is hard, and I know I am still in the early days of recovery :D

Not to say I disagree with those who collect. I think it is a great hobby to have and lets face it, has to be healthier than drinking or smoking :) and a darned sight more interesting than collecting tops off milk botles or stamps.

Davina

gregory

It WAS more about the collecting.

Now, although I still collect, I'd say they are close to neck and neck.

greatdane

Davina...THANK you for my big laugh of the day!!

Ah, Davina, I was laughing out loud at parts of your post! You also gave me exactly what I was looking for, if people consider themselves primarily a reader or primarily a collector and where that line kind of forms. I think so much of the artwork is just so beautiful and stunning, even looking at decks I don't feel drawn to try to read from. I can see that whether or not one may chose to read from maybe five or ten decks, it could be sooooo easy to fall into collecting those that you just love for the art work's sake.

Again, thanks for that laugh, Davina!

GD

Manda

One of my great tarot lessons has been, collecting cards is not reading cards. To wit, one can have every single deck EVER printed (*slants her eyes toward gregory*) but not be a reader (*does not slant her eyes at gregory anymore, as gregory is a snazzy reader*).

I went through a period where I was more worried about getting decks than using decks, but in my defense, that was after 15 years of the same deck, every single day. :bugeyed: I now feel at a happy medium, where I get the decks that appeal to me as budget allows, but I am reading daily, too, and feel I am growing, sometimes by leaps and bounds, and sometimes at a caterpillar crawl.

It's all good though. :)

gregory

Manda said:
One of my great tarot lessons has been, collecting cards is not reading cards. To wit, one can have every single deck EVER printed (*slants her eyes toward gregory*)
DO NOT.... :mad:

I WISH !!!

but not be a reader (*does not slant her eyes at gregory anymore, as gregory is a snazzy reader*).
Ummmmm... thanks, but.....

emmsma

For awhile I worried about the decks I had but did not read with. Then I found some decks that were simply a joy to hold and look through. I don't mind that some of my decks are for reading, and some are for enjoying for purely the art.

I've also discovered that some of my beautiful decks of days before, can become the reading decks of the future.

Its the only thing i spend on - and though I do spend often - if hubby doesn't mind, I guess its ok. :) It makes me happy, and if my family is well fed and taken care of, all is well.

greatdane

Absolutely, Emm!

I was just trying to figure out where reading and collecting kind of met or merged for people. I think it's lovely that some people even just purely collect as the art is so diverse, beautiful and stunning. After reading so many posts, I was just wondering who feels more like collectors, and those of you who feel the reading is the primary thing. I know there are readers on tarotcollectors.com and collectors here. It's all good!

I have to admit that I was a bit jealous seeking some of the great decks (and the quantity, oh my, impressive!) so many people have. I guess I thought coming here would be about people have several decks and just talking mostly about reading. I didn't realize it would be such a great fount of info that I could use about finding out about specific decks.

Whether collectors, readers or both, you all rock!

GD

Metafizzypop

I think that there's people who could be described as something like "accidental collectors." I bet a lot of people here already know what I mean ..........

For example ....... A person starts off interested in reading tarot, and they buy a deck. Later they see other decks that are available and they think, oh gee that's pretty, and they buy a second deck. Then they see another deck they like and they buy that, too. And this trend continues until they own 4938753957 decks. And then they say, How did this happen?

They didn't mean to be a collector. But they ended up with a big collection because they kept buying decks that they found appealing.

I don't think that this is the same as being a true collector. A real collector buys things in a more deliberate way. For example, they may own several copies of the same deck because it's gone through several editions and each one has a different back.

Lots of us probably can't honestly be called "collectors" as much as "accumulators." And I think that I'm falling into the accumulator group myself........

emmsma

Ow! *injures neck through vigorous nodding*

Metafizzypop is so right. I never planned to collect and I am not what I think of as a "true" collector. My decks are not kept pristine in shrinkwrap. (I think that is sad, actually.) But to each his own.

I started by getting several decks - to see which one I liked. Liked a few and worked with them - reading with one or three for over a dozen years. Then I got a few more, and a few more.

Then I discovered the purple pages and it was all over for me.

I thought I could find 10 or 12 decks that I could work well with. Then 25, 35, 45. I just kept finding beautiful decks that I felt drawn to.

I said, no more after 50. Maybe 78 is a poetic number to end on.

There have been many that didnt' work for me, or I felt our time together was done and those have moved on. I don't have a limit - except maybe for how many I can fit into my home.

I love this collecting thing. And its wonderful to get a new deck and find it speaks to me. I've no regrets. :)

(Chatty? Aren't I?)