Help!! Any tips you'd like to share??

queenxofxwands

Hi everyone, am starting to feel really really nervous, have been offered a place to do tarot readings at the same place i go to get advice, not only is this the first time i will be charging for them ( that was a big enough hurdle to overcome) but in order to get this place, i have an interview of sorts, where i have to do 2 readings, one for each owner, which includes the person i look to for guidance, so, am feeling a bit like i am going to read for GOD at the moment, and well, yeah, am doing it anyway lol, so i would love to hear of any experiences from anyone at all about the first time , how did you feel? What helped you? I'd really appreciate any input here :D

214red

this might get moved to the professional reaidng section.

I think the biggest question for yourself is do you feel ready to allow people to pay you for a reading, can you handle most situations people will throw your way.

My first paid reading i didnt realise it was going to be paid, so it helped, they paid me because the liked the reading. My first one charging up front was fairly relaxed because i had been reading for everyone and their dog (or cat, or flat) for awhile by that point and had handled pretty much most things. i felt nervous, but confident at the same time, and after a bump i relaxed into the reading and it went well.

The 2nd time, i got cocky and the reading was a bust, serves me right and learnt my lesson. The person liked it though, but i thought it was a lousy reading by my own standards

nisaba

You are worried mostly about stage-fright reading for authority-figures
(to you)?

If so: pretend they are total strangers who look uncannily like the two people you know. Read for strangers. Read the cards in front of you, not the people you know and respect.

If you do that, you'll be absolutely fine. As a professional, anyway, you need to be able to read for anyone. Who knows when your next-door neighbour, your most hated high-school teacher, or your accountant will walk in? You should be able to read for all of them - and I really recommend regarding all clients as just that, clients. Nothing more, not as friends or even known people.

The Guided Hermit

Like Nisaba said.

Focus on the cards. Not the fear.

Alta

Moderator note:

This is borderline thread between here and Professional. As long as the replies focus on the issues around doing a reading as a 'test' or 'interview' I guess it can stay here.

Issues directly around reading professionally though have to go into that forum.

Alta
co-Moderator, Talking Tarot

Evermore

Best Advice!

nisaba said:
Read for strangers. Read the cards in front of you, not the people you know and respect.

That's the best advice you'll get right there. :) Heck, that's something I need to remember and stick to when I Read for friends.

Another thing I want to add is that you can always draw a few cards for each owner before going in. Make it basic like things you need to know about them or what's going on in their lives. This way you'll be in your element at home and won't be nervous. Figure out what the few cards mean and remember it. If you get stuck in the Reading in-person, think back to those cards and see if that fits or makes sense in the Reading.

If all else fails, trick yourself into thinking you have never Read Tarot before. You'll come up with the best interpretations! My friends that don't Read always look at my cards, say something, and immediately it sticks to me because I never thought of it that way!

Good luck! You'll do fine. :)

Beautiful Blessings,
Natasha <3

Teheuti

Do a meditation and relaxation/grounding/centering practice beforehand and ask for guidance. Open yourself up in service of Divine Grace (or whatever works for you) asking that you be a channel for what these people need to hear and for you to experience. Give yourself over to that and trust. Use your breath and/or an inner symbol or healing stone to help center you and to keep that focus. If possible, give yourself plenty of time to find your inner center and peace before you go in for the session.

shadowdancer

well, I just want to say good luck with it. I am sure if they know you, they already know your abilities and how you come across so this could just be a formality in a way. Still a ruddy great daunting one though I know :) :)

The only thing I can think of is, if you look at the cards and focus on them instead of the person sitting in front of you, it might help take your mind off (albeit a little) of who they are and what they represent etc.

I remember having to do a 10 minute lecture to a panel of middle managers at college to get a new role. I had to pretend they were students and boy that was hard, particularly as one of them had been my line manager for the 3 years up to that point. (He seemed to get into role a little tooo much as I recall....lol - a frustrated actor for sure).

Let us know how it goes.

Davina

queenxofxwands

Hey thanks everyone, you all brought out a lot of good points and it really helped to shift my focus. Am very grateful to all who replied :)

Debra

One more thing...if you're not sure what something means, don't be afraid to say so--ask if they have an idea either way, or draw a clarifying card. It's not a test where you have to get 100% or they take away your driving license--it's the overall experience they'll be concerned about. Good luck, good luck!