How do you feel about reading for family?

greatdane

Are there any of you adamant about NOT reading for really close family members? Or really close friends? I don't mean those just starting out reading, but those of you experienced readers who feel comfortable with their skill, but maybe not so comfortable knowing certain things the cards tell you about those close to you, but even less in TELLING these people what you see? I remember once, years ago, grabbing a palmistry book, and memorized what a few of the lines in the palm were supposed to mean because I was going to a party and thought of more as a fun parlor game (which I TOLD everyone!). But it's AMAZING how many still wanted their palms read even though I told them I had just memorized certain palm lines from a book! Even stranger was how people thought I got some things so dead on. I realized people take what a lot of people say to them seriously, even when you're telling them NOT to. For those of you who ARE experienced in reading and your family and friends know that, how difficult is it for you to read for them? Or do you?

GD

ruchikari

Am usually not that comfortable ...it's for a simple reason that i don't want to know so much about their personal lives. I know some people might argue here that you are not helping them for selfish reasons ...but its like a onslaught of information for which am not ready ...especially for my aunts or uncles.. i usually avoid doing for them .. am still ok doing it for my cousins...

alice_addams

There are a few variables involved there...for me, I just can't read for family, period. Certain members of my family have used pendulums, have had prophetic dreams, etc, but tarot has a stigma for them. (Much like a Ouija board, I guess.)

However, I wouldn't mind reading for them, but only on very specific subjects. I can see how some readings could get into the realm of TMI. Only family reading I've done was to determine the sex of my brother's baby. It was accurate, and I had no problems with that. Unfortunately, all I could say to the family was, "I bet it'll be a boy." No background on how I came to that conclusion...anyway, even if they were open to tarot, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable reading on touchy interpersonal subjects, for one example.

Sulis

I won't read for close friends or for family. I just don't want to delve into their heads and what may be private.

tarotlaura

When I was first starting out I would read for them. But not anymore. I agree with what Sulis said. What's going on in their heads is much to private.

214red

i read for friends if they ask me, but i do reluctantly , if they need me to. Family i dont because i dont need to we are already connected, i already know what is going on emotionally etc bcause i feel them

greatdane

OK Then, that lead to this question....

CAN you "tune" certain areas of a loved one's life so you don't get more info on subjects you DON'T want to know about, and just focus on a specific area for them...or not? Can you pick a bit like a radio station tuning into a specific station or do you get bits and pieces all the time? I find this realllly interesting and hadn't thought about til I saw your responses to this thread.

GD

woodsyowl

i don't think you can, "tune," any area of their life out. when you lay the cards out, you get what you get. the info will be there, through basic card meanings and intuition. its there; the truth. i don't have a problem reading for family. under one condition; that they are present and i have their full consent to do a reading. and i have told them what will come up in the cards is what it is. the good, bad and indifferent. if they want to go ahead with the reading in full understanding of what i told them, no problem. i never had a problem personally reading for family or friends. and, most of the time the feedback i have gotten was that the readings were quite accurate. if they are comfortable with the warts and all coming out, so to speak, i see no problem.its what works for you personally, and of course the people you are reading for.

greatdane

Woodsy, but did you ever get any info....

YOU may have not wanted to know about them? In other words, info that may have shaded your feelings about them or just thought...tmi?

celticnoodle

greatdane said:
Are there any of you adamant about NOT reading for really close family members? Or really close friends? For those of you who ARE experienced in reading and your family and friends know that, how difficult is it for you to read for them? Or do you?

GD
my mother, her siblings, their mother and HER siblings, all stopped reading for family members when my mothers aunt saw in her crystal ball a young girl rollerskating down a hill, losing control and falling into the street, and being struck by a truck. this aunt thought the child was my mother-who lived on her roller skates. it was not. it was her cousin--the aunts other niece, who rarely skated, but did that day.

since that day-they stopped reading for family and close friends.

I do read for most family members. i draw the line at anyone in the family under age 18-unless their parent(s) were present at the reading.

I have stopped reading for one family member, as she gets so emotional over the readings, and hysterical. she is now 18, and I will still NOT read for her. she is young, and impressionable, and as I mentioned highly emotional. if the reading goes as she does not like--she begins to cry. so, I told her - no more readings until such time I feel she can handle them, because I cannot lie to her, and I do not like upsetting her. other then that, I read regularly for family members, but I make sure they know that I am going to read bluntly and honestly to how the cards seem to present themselves. if they cannot agree to that, then i don't read for them. if they do agree, i will read for them. so far the only problem i have had was with this one person. luckily.