Feeling like a ping-pong ball - deck frenzy!

Enchanted Luna

Just musing to myself really....do you ever get so many decks, and you want to focus on one, but then you get all distracted by the others, or acquire a new one(s) and before you know it, you're bouncing around like a half-mad pong ball. I'm experiencing this now, and my brain is falling out of my head haha. I have loads of beautiful decks that I want and need to spend time with, but I end up going all over the place between oracles and tarot etc.

I feel like a dope sometimes lol. I guess I just get so excited about it all, but I just wondered if anyone else has this problem? What do you do about it?

I was hoping you guys would understand - this isn't something I can ask just anyone you know (ie. someone who isn't into cards) ;)

Sinduction

All the time! :D

Here's what I've done this year. I picked one that I really wanted to study. Vargo's Gothic and I began the 78 Week Study on it. So, once a week I study a new card. Sometimes I do 2 cads a week, depending on how well I think I'm doing.

The rest of the time I use whatever deck I want. So I can look through my new ones, use whichever one catches my eye to do readings with and I know I'm studying one I really want to study.

I'm also continuing my PDR (um... personal deck reflection?) with the Transparent, which I use for soul searching readings for myself.

I also do the Intuitive Reading circle once a month and I just started the TdM reading circle, which is also once a month.

So, I've got a system going that works for me! :D Maybe you can come up with something similar that works for you.

MareSaturni

I think this happens to everyone who jumps on the Tarot collecting frenzy wagon. At one point we have so many new and apparently wonderful decks to try that we don't know even where to start.

There's no cure for it except a conscious effort or dedicating yourself for some time to one deck only. An IDS may help. Or you can make a rule - not buying a new deck until you have tried all the new ones you've got, or using each new deck at least for one week to see how it goes... and so on.

To better achieve any goal, you better stay away from forums such "Tarot Decks" and from sites such as TarotGarden... these tend to be quite enabling...

And remember: the deck will stay there, no matter what. You can take your time trying each of them calmly. They can wait :)

Enchanted Luna

Sinduction said:
All the time! :D

Here's what I've done this year. I picked one that I really wanted to study. Vargo's Gothic and I began the 78 Week Study on it. So, once a week I study a new card. Sometimes I do 2 cads a week, depending on how well I think I'm doing.

The rest of the time I use whatever deck I want. So I can look through my new ones, use whichever one catches my eye to do readings with and I know I'm studying one I really want to study.

I'm also continuing my PDR (um... personal deck reflection?) with the Transparent, which I use for soul searching readings for myself.

I also do the Intuitive Reading circle once a month and I just started the TdM reading circle, which is also once a month.

So, I've got a system going that works for me! :D Maybe you can come up with something similar that works for you.

Whew! Good to know I'm not alone haha. Ok sounds like an excellent method you've got going for you Sinduction. I like that, and I've been trolling the different study groups wondering if that would do the trick to get me focused.

I especially like the once a week focus on one deck and play time with the others :) I think that would be something I should do. I guess it's silly, but I kinda feel bad about not spending time with my decks? And yet, I see more shiny shiny ones and off I go to buy more haha!!

Thank you for the sound advice!!

Enchanted Luna

Marina said:
I think this happens to everyone who jumps on the Tarot collecting frenzy wagon. At one point we have so many new and apparently wonderful decks to try that we don't know even where to start.

There's no cure for it except a conscious effort or dedicating yourself for some time to one deck only. An IDS may help. Or you can make a rule - not buying a new deck until you have tried all the new ones you've got, or using each new deck at least for one week to see how it goes... and so on.

To better achieve any goal, you better stay away from forums such "Tarot Decks" and from sites such as TarotGarden... these tend to be quite enabling...

Another voice of reason!!!! Thank you thank you!! :) You're totally right! I love reading Tarot Decks forum and trolling Amazon, TarotGarden etc. Enabled I am. Easily. I should spend more time on the deenabling thread haha. I agree that really making a conscious effort to study would be beneficial. I guess because each day I feel differently, so I tend to grab a different deck that "speaks" to me that day. Does that make sense?

Marina said:
And remember: the deck will stay there, no matter what. You can take your time trying each of them calmly. They can wait :)

That makes perfect, rational sense. Sometimes I feel so frenzied (not only with tarot but my life in general) that I'm zipping around trying to see and do everything. Almost like this is my last week on earth and Ive got to get everything done before I kick the bucket lol. Thanks for the grounding, clearly I needed it :) I guess my decks won't hate me too much if I let them sit and spend time with other decks haha.

SunChariot

For me personally, no. I get lots of decks, but I never "learn" decks. So i just sense which one is right for me at the moment and go with it at any given time. I use all my decks, and I have over 90, just I read with the same technique for each deck and it works the same with each. I can read with any deck I get even if i just had it two minutes,

Babs