PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite scents?

greatdane
29-03-2010, 15:19
Not just for reading, but for just every day use and what situations you use for? Also can anyone tell me their favorite brand of patchouli or a patchouli blend oil? Patchouli oil can really vary in quality. I'm looking for an earthy fragrance with patchouli as the most prevalent scent, but maybe mixed with another oil to wear.

Many thanks,
GD

morticia monroe
29-03-2010, 16:58
The other girls here turned me on to this site,,,it's wonderful. I recommend the imps ears, you get to choose 6 and they send you one or two more little freebies to try. I found my favorite,,,I Died For Beauty. It's absolutely marvelous.

Enjoy looking!!

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html

emmsma
30-03-2010, 01:41
I'm not much for scents as far as wearing perfume, but when I do feel a need to annoint a deck I use Ylang Ylang oil. I find it delish.

(Personally, I can't handle Patchouli. Its ruined a deck or two received in trade. SO hard to remove the odor of patchouli)

And if we are talking incense - sandalwood, and I'll have to look for the name of this lovely Japanese incense I use alot.

greatdane
30-03-2010, 04:57
Gotta check out that link, Morticia! I'm looking for different scents to wear. When I find something I really like, I like to wear, put it on cotton balls and stuff in drawers and basically surround myself in it. I don't really have a "signature" fav now, so Morticia, can't wait to check out the site. And Emm's didn't think about ylang ylang but checking it out. Been awhile since I smelled that.

Blessings on your week,
GD

Sulis
30-03-2010, 06:35
If you want a lovely patchouli try Ava Luxe's Feuilles de Patchouli.
I love Ava Luxe perfumes; she used to have a website but now she sells on Etsy. Gorgeous, hand-blended perfumes that are strong and very long lasting.

Ava Luxe Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/AvaPerfumes)

Ava Luxe Feuilles de Patchouli perfume oil (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_1&listing_id=43247939&ga_search_query=patchouli&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_7640282).

For something cheaper but still very nice, I like The Body Shop's perfume oils. I word their Woody Sandalwood all through the 80s and I think I ended up just smelling of it even when I wasn't wearing it. They discontinued it but have brought it back and it's just as gorgeous as I remember: Body Shop perfume oils (http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/list.aspx?CategoryCode=C_Fragrance_PerfumeOils&ParentCatCode=C_Fragrance)

greatdane
30-03-2010, 06:39
Obviously you know not all patchouli scents are created equal, so thank you so much for sharing these links! I LOVE patchouli, unfortunately I have been disappointed in some brands in the past.

GD

canid
30-03-2010, 06:51
Bubble gum, banana & coconut! Then gardenia, passion flower & honeysuckle.

greatdane
30-03-2010, 06:54
You really have a bubble gum oil? I get the favorite scents things, I love the smell of bubble gum, but wondering if you actually have an oil or something that's bubble gum scent?!

GD

GadgetGirl
30-03-2010, 06:59
I love the following...

Ylang Ylang
Frankincense
Sandalwood
Frangipani

and to wear Chanel No. 5! :D

Sulis
30-03-2010, 07:22
I do like patchouli but it's often very powerful and a bit too hippyish for me. It reminds me of boys I used to know in the late 70s who smelled as if they bathed in the stuff.

I prefer amber as a perfume base and I particularly like Ava Luxe's Ambra Tibet, in fact this thread has just prompted me to go and order a bottle :).

greatdane
30-03-2010, 07:46
I can feel all our fingers clicking away as we order yummy scents and our bank accts get lighter! Scent is just so a part of life to me, and I love when you find that perfect fragrance or two or seven that suits you for different occasions and moods.

canid
30-03-2010, 08:29
You really have a bubble gum oil? I get the favorite scents things, I love the smell of bubble gum, but wondering if you actually have an oil or something that's bubble gum scent?!

GD

No, but after I posted I googled & I'm gonna get some! I usually wear White Shoulders. I like sweet smellies, obviously.

GadgetGirl
30-03-2010, 08:31
I prefer amber as a perfume base and I particularly like Ava Luxe's Ambra Tibet, in fact this thread has just prompted me to go and order a bottle :).

Oh this sounds lovely! May I ask where we find this? :D

greatdane
30-03-2010, 08:57
I've already exhausted my tarot budget for the month and have stuff on my wish list for next month. Now thanks to Morticia and Sulis and links they provided, I MUST check those out as well. I see where any extra money is going next month. If I wind up with NO money, living in a cave, with a candle, but smellllling sooo good, it'll be all your fault and you know who you are!!! ahahahahah

GD

Sulis
30-03-2010, 20:08
Oh this sounds lovely! May I ask where we find this? :D

Hi GadgetGirl,

I posted a link to Ava Luxe's Etsy shop further up in the thread.
Here it is again: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AvaPerfumes

And here's a direct link to the Ambra Tibet perfume: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41112485
Ambre Antique is a more floral amber based scent: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=43499683

ana luisa
30-03-2010, 20:58
Everything that contains Lilac, Honeysuckle, Neroli or Vanilla :)

BlueMoon3151
30-03-2010, 22:23
I absolutely loooooooooooove vanilla <3

zephyr_heart
30-03-2010, 22:51
Rose and lavender. I also use sage and sandalwood, sometimes.

Emily
31-03-2010, 02:20
I love rose and lavender too - Boots sell a lavender water, rose water too, I have a bottle of it still. When I was younger, I used to spritz it onto my hair or if my bedroom smelled stuffy, I'd spritz it around on the curtains and bedclothes. It was never overpowering.

I think my love of lavender and rose comes from when we were kids and we'd have the solid blocks of lavender or rose cologne that you would rub on your wrists to cool down - not even sure if you can get those now.

Edit

:) Just checked, Yardley still do the cologne sticks - not seen them for years :)

greatdane
31-03-2010, 02:33
For just a refreshing, peaceful, yet energizing (don't know how that works, but it does) for just around the house, I love Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Room Freshener - Lavender (I also add a few drops of essential lavender oil to jazz it up even more). It's even a mood lightener if it's been a stressful day. Just got three bottles on Amazon for a smokin deal. But that's for just the house, you don't spray on yourself. For me personally, I'm in love with all the new scents I'm reading about here and thanks to Sulis and Morticia, I know where a CHUNK of my spending money for next month is going! EXCELLENT sites, THANK YOU for sharing, Sulis and Morticia! You ladies, Rock!

The Crone in Black (who smells oooh so nice!!)

MCsea
31-03-2010, 15:24
lilac.... just love it

jcwirish
31-03-2010, 15:28
My favorite scent is Plumeria oil. I absolutely love it. It reminds me of the beach and spring time. It just smells heavenly to me.

I got mine from a company in Capitola called, Panache. Another company called, Made in Santa Cruz, has Plumeria oil as well. Actually, these companies may now be one in the same. You could probably find it online.

greatdane
31-03-2010, 15:57
and where might one obtain these wonderful scents? Do you order from special places? I've learned not all oils or brands are equal.

GD

Ethereal_Phoenix
01-04-2010, 07:20
I go towards Water Scents. A Rainy Day, Fresh Morning Dew, The Misty Beach Air...All those scents attract me most. :)
I also love light scents like Gardenia, Lavender and Rose.
When I'm feeling in the need for a Strong Scent (Those help me tap into my inner Psyche) I usually choose Bay, Sage or Sandalwood. :D
Patchouli is too much to handle for me though. :(

greatdane
01-04-2010, 07:24
The only way I can wear patchouli oil straight, is by putting a little on my hands and when fresh out of shower, using it before I dry off, letting it mix a bit with water. It kind of "sets" and tones down the scent and mellows it a bit.

jcwirish
01-04-2010, 07:43
and where might one obtain these wonderful scents? Do you order from special places? I've learned not all oils or brands are equal.

GD

See my post above.

Briar Rose
01-04-2010, 14:51
I just got Lauder's, Sensuous. Notes are; amber, honey, blackpepper, orange, woods, lily, magnolia ,ylang ylang and jasmine.

I've been wanting to get a bottle of Mackie and Chloe, and an old favorite, Raffinee.

I love Joy. VanillaFields.

But I really love fresh, leafy scents.

LeaRoseQuartz
01-04-2010, 15:58
My favorite scents are aura cacia's lavender, neroli, vanilla and frankincense oils. I also have patchouli, which is strong, but is nice. Their oils really smell wonderful, are natural and are top grade. I've been buying them for years. There are alot of scents to choose from. I have many of them. Some of them can irritate your skin and need to be mixed with a carrier oil. I like jojoba oil for that, which they sell, also. You can buy some of them already pre-mixed. I use lavender and patchouli, straight from the bottle, as they don't bother me. You can buy them from auracacia.com, vitacost.com or amazon.com. and health food stores sell them, also.

Ashtaroot
01-04-2010, 16:05
Lavender
Rose

greatdane
02-04-2010, 02:56
with the scents you chose! Lea, thanks for your tips. I find using right out of shower is the best way for me to use patchouli oil, just rubbing a few drops on hands and letting it mingle with the bit of water before drying off. Just seems to soften it. I do love patchouli, well, the decent kinds of oils, there are so that cut it too much. If you haven't checked out Morticia's link on this thread re scents and Nisaba's, ooooh you don't know what you're missing! LOVE reading about the scents on those sites!

GD and oh my it just smells delicious on this thread! :-)

OmSeaweed
04-04-2010, 15:44
Hi Great Dane!!! :)

I adore the co-mingled scents of Fig and Neroli, but those can be hard to find. Otherwise, I'm *besotted* by the smell of Sweetgrass (the actual grass, much more so than the incense variety--Sprouts sells the incense, Whole Foods, I think, sells the essential oil and the grass braids, at last I looked, could be found at Changing Hands Bookstore or at many of the Pow Wows.)

(Yeah! LeaRoseQuartz! I didn't know there was anyone else out there who loved Neroli, too! :) )

greatdane
11-04-2010, 04:45
Just noticed something had been added to this thread! Oh, so many great threads to watch, so little time :-)). I'll have to check that out. It sounds very lovely.

Briar Rose
11-04-2010, 14:43
One time I put pure Bergamont oil in my bathwater, and it gave me a severe rash that looked like chicken pocks, every inch of me was like that. I gave up on oils after that.

Ana's Song
11-04-2010, 16:21
One time I put pure Bergamont oil in my bathwater, and it gave me a severe rash that looked like chicken pocks, every inch of me was like that. I gave up on oils after that.

Hi hun, I think this is because you probably used cold-pressed bergamot essential oil. Bergamot oil has a chemical component to it called furocoumarin or bergaptine which is a very well-known skin sensitiser. In fact you should not even use bergamot oil when you go outside as the UV in the sun's rays can react badly with the bergamot and cause photosensitasation! Most icky.

If you want to use bergamot on your skin (including in the bath) make SURE you get bergamot essential oil that is marked "FCF-free" or on the label states clearly that it has been treated to remove the furocoumarin/bergaptine. This renders it safe for skincare and also for use when you go out in the sun or in UV situations like a tanning bed.

FCF-free bergamot doesn't always smell as yum as the untreated stuff though but look around and you should be able to get some good stuff out there eventually. As for what's left of the bergamot that made you break out, if you still have it then I'm sure it would be yum in an aromalamp used to scent your room :)

Ana's Song
11-04-2010, 16:26
As for me, I can't stand neroli or jasmine. I don't know why! They sound so delicious when people speak about them but when I got some of each oil (really good quality stuff too), I just couldn't handle smelling them. I'm really sad about that and I know I'll get lynched for saying that the neroli hydrosol I have in my fridge now even reminds me of used gym socks...

LOL

My favourite scent is actually the old-school Shalimar by Guerlain. It has a really exotic mix of scents, very dark and mysterious, and I think it's because it has opoponax (sweet myrrh) in it and it really transforms the vanilla base (vanilla is a smell that I usually find more cloying than scrummy).

Told you guys I've got a bit of a weird nose. I love resiny myrrh as well but can't handle frankincense (smells like halitosis to me) and also adore helichrysum or immortelle/everlasting, which I think smells like delectably dark honey but others think smell like gym socks... LOL

Milfoil
11-04-2010, 18:13
Even in a burner, some essential oils like Bergamot (which is my absolute favourite) can cause skin rashes on exposed skin (guess how I found that out) so its good to do some research and learning around them first to see which you can safely use.

As a society we have been lulled into thinking that anything on the shop shelves must be safe yet only a fool would pick an unknown plant, rub it on their skin then wonder why they had a nasty rash. Just because things are bottled for us to buy doesn't make them automatically safe and what is safe on one, may be an allergen to someone else.

I also love Geranium.

A nice mix is orange oil, Geranium and Patchouli.

Dusk Till Dawn
11-04-2010, 18:18
I can't use any oils, my Bird would probably die, so I cuse incense sticks, most of the time Sandalwood and Jasmin. But I know a good way of getting rid of awful Homeowners, by burning a mixture with Tonka Beans.. It took a while , but it worked.

amethyst57
12-04-2010, 08:29
I use incense,not oils...favorites are patchouli, rose, lilac, lavender, sandalwood, cinnamon, and
there's a powder form called 'Seance' (moon magick?) I got as a freebie from Isis Books & Gifts...don't know what's in the powder one, smells wonderful as is or when it's burning....

Ambrosia
12-04-2010, 11:50
I am a HUGE perfume and EO lover. Huge!
As far as Patchouli oil goes, I buy mine here in NZ so cannot recommend a dealer online but... Patchouli oil gets better with age. When it is newly distilled is can be very harsh and off-putting but after a few months, or even better, years, it develops a wonderful mellow sweet tenacity. ALWAYS let your patchouli age! On the contrary, citrus oils don't last very long at all and should be bought and used in small amounts.
Patchouli mixed in equal amounts with orange and/or Ylang Ylang is divine!

My favourite oils are ~

Ylang Ylang
Cedarwood Atlas
Jasmine Grandiflorum
Lavender True
Patchouli
Carnation
Sandalwood
Vetiver
Boronia
Fir Balsam Absolute
Cocoa Absolute
Black Current Absolute

Also, EOs and Absolutes are extremely concentrated and often need to be diluted to about 3% before their real beauty is evident.

I am also a fan of the "classics" such as the older Guerlains (L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Shalimar), Chanel No 5, Arpege, Diorissimo, L'Air du Temps, Miss Dior, the list goes on.

I LOVE Lush and their solid perfumes too, and pretty much have them all. If you like Patchouli you should try their Tramp shower gel (pure patchouli), or the Karma line.

I also dabble in natural perfumery so I LOVE to blend oils to make new perfumes. Blissful indeed!

caridwen
13-04-2010, 02:30
I'm making my own shea butter body balm and am using coconut, sweet almond and jojoba oil. As a scent I am going to use black pepper and sandalwood!:D

greatdane
13-04-2010, 04:48
I'm not terribly handy, so look for places to buy from. I love patchouli soap, even though the scent disappears very quickly. If I just then rub a few drops of a good patchouli oil on my hands and rubs along arms right out of shower, seems to stay a bit bitter. Hard to get that inbetween....where you can still smell it, but it's not overwhelming particularly to those around one!

greatdane
20-06-2014, 07:03
THIS sounded great...in theory....these "library" scents, but some said expensive and can barely smell it. It's not that I want to be overwhelmed by scent, but if you can't get a light whiff unless you're on top of it....

http://www.amazon.com/Paddywax-Collection-Cardamom-Sandalwood-Fragrance/dp/B00415495W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403211584&sr=8-2&keywords=paddywax+library+poe

A lot liked it, but I think maybe buying my own diffuser sticks and hitting Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs might work better for me.

Anyone else use diffuser sticks and have any favorites oil combos, or single oils, they like to use?

Sometimes incense or candles are not a good option. I don't leave anything burning if I'm not right in the room. Diffuser sticks would really be a great solution.

I wanted something you don't have to plug in or have a candle under.

greatdane
20-06-2014, 07:23
Haven't looked in ages and went in today and saw they did scents based on one of my fav vampire movies :-).

I want them all.
http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/product-category/only-lovers-left-alive/

Briar Rose
23-06-2014, 08:12
What Vampire series do you love?

I have changed a little about scents. I still love Rose and Lavender. But I can't stand the synthetic fragrances any more. I think I'd have to try reacquire wearing them if I found one I liked. I do love still love the fragrance line, Calypso by Christiane Celle. It's only sold in boutiques and cruise ship shops. I think they must use natural oils mostly.

I do still like the leafy greens.

I have essential lavender oil that I would like to mix with pure almond oil, but I don't know how many drops to use (in those little brown bottles). Any suggestions?

greatdane
23-06-2014, 11:30
Only Lovers Left Alive with Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston from Thor.

It's all over the home page of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab with scents to match.

Briar Rose
24-06-2014, 01:11
oh nice, thank you.

celticnoodle
24-06-2014, 08:18
I don't use scents on my cards, or while meditating. I hve to be careful with scents as we have so many allergies. That said, I do have my faves however.

Lemon. I LOVE the smell of lemons. I use lemony scents to clean with--mostly Mr. Clean. I dilute it with water to dust with too--its okay to use on wood even, as long as you also wipe it afterwards with a dry cloth. I wash my floors with it too. Adore the smell of it. :D

I also like the smell of apples and cinnamon. I do find candles of this scent and its okay for us.

lilacs, though I cannot bring in the real deal and put them in vases. I am highly allergic to the lilacs we have in our yard. I have stood too close to our lilac "tree" (about 20 feet plus tall and very large around) and break out in hives. :( But, lilac candles are also okay).

its all I can think of right at this posting, but there are probably more too. But, I do not use air fresheners and I don't put anything fragrant on my cards or stones, or anything like that.

Darkmage
24-06-2014, 08:52
I love sandalwood, aloeswood, frankincense, dragon's blood, and a lot of the other woody sorts of scents.

Every year I put in a big order at Nippon Kodo (http://www.nipponkodostore.com/). They always have a huge Cyber Monday sale where everything is usually 30% or more off, and since my birthday is December 1st, it's my present to myself. Their Hinoki is wonderful, as is their Eiju Sandalwood and Kayuragi Aloeswood. I actually don't care much for their higher-end aloeswoods because they're not as strong. Gozan-Koh is another favourite by them. It smells just like the reading room at the Library of Congress. I kid you not.

Shoyeido also makes some good basic incenses. I find these over at Whole Foods, usually. They tend to be heavier on the sandalwood and cinnamon than NK's lines.

Kohshi (http://www.japanincense.com/index.html) out of San Francisco sells all of this stuff and more. One of these days I need to get up there and check out their shop.

I just have to be careful with the stuff I burn on charcoal. A lot of it generates a lot of smoke and I'm asthmatic. :( I like the Japanese (and to a lesser extent Chinese and Korean) incense styles because there's also no bamboo core so they don't generate a lot of smoke. I get a nice scent that lasts for some time.

I'm not a big fan of florals. They usually smell synthetic and cheap. They also tend to be really strong, at least at first, and override everything else. Cheap cones from India are really good at hiding things like cooking and cat box odours, though, so YMMV.

Calcifer
24-06-2014, 22:03
I get the majority of my incenses from Scents of Earth, and I use them to concoct a "divination incense".... Typically I mix Labdanum, Black Copal, and Monastery Rose. A truly heavenly smell :-). I've also been known to throw some Royal Green Hojary into the mix - just to jazz it up (if I have the $$, that is).

Also, as I tend to credit my divination efforts to the Moon, I also make an anointing oil from Rose Absolute, Clary Sage, and White Camphor. This can also be heated on an oil diffuser with a tea light candle. I've had LOTS of compliments on the scent during readings. Both of these scents do a great job of supplying a wonderful ambience to my reading space... in a pinch though, I always have some quality sandalwood on hand :-).

Michael

freyaisunavailable
06-07-2014, 05:15
I love Nag Champa, but I don't really burn incense because I think it would bother my birds. Luckily there are Nag Champa perfumes and oils!
I love the smell of cards and bookstores, but the couple of book perfumes I have tried have disappointed. Demeter's Paperback really smells like some pulp paperback from the 70s or 80s, with porous, yellowed pages that have started to smell all musky.

My favorite perfume is Black Tourmaline. http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/fragrance/26129349

Briar Rose
06-07-2014, 12:08
There is also a Nag Champa soap. I had it my dresser drawer for a while, then I used it in the bath, and now it's back in another dresser drawer. Huge bar. smells great!

ana luisa
06-07-2014, 13:04
Bubble gum, banana & coconut! Then gardenia, passion flower & honeysuckle.

Oh, my God, another sweet scent lover!!! :) All of the above BUT the banana. I would add vanilla, lilac and frangipani:
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=jasmim+manga&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=T7y4U7DmKqq3sASjsYHIBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1240&bih=635#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=RxT7E7CtCfgEUM%253A%3B3qOn2HNbBLAPkM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fwww.jardineiro.net%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F05%252Fplumeria_r ubra.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.jardineiro.net%2 52Fplantas%252Fjasmim-manga-plumeria-rubra.html%3B267%3B200

danieljuk
07-07-2014, 09:50
I really love lavender, citrus scents and orange one's but my fave of all is vetiver!

greatdane
07-07-2014, 10:10
vetiver....I must check that one out. OH NAG CHAMPA SOAP! A friend got me a bar at a Renaissance Faire. OMG I put it in my drawer. Smells so good.

katieb
07-07-2014, 10:13
I LOVE vanilla, anything sweet smelling gets me going

danieljuk
07-07-2014, 10:27
vetiver is quite woody GD! they use it in Men's products quite a lot. I noticed recently it's started to become a premium scent in more expensive products! bad for my budget! I really love it because it's a very low down scent and very woody. Quite subtle. It's from a boring Indian grass :) but it has an amazing property as a plant, it stops soil erosion!

about it as a fragrance on wikipedia....

Vetiver is mainly cultivated for the fragrant essential oil distilled from its roots. In perfumery, the older French spelling, vetyver, is often used. Worldwide production is estimated at about 250 tons per annum.
Due to its excellent fixative properties, vetiver is used widely in perfumes. It is contained in 90% of all western perfumes. Vetiver is a more common ingredient in fragrances for men; some notable examples include Dior's Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Vetiver, Zizan by Ormonde Jayne and Vetiver by L'Occitane.

I want to see if I can find it as incense or something to burn now :)

Darkmage
07-07-2014, 10:59
You can find the raw herb at herbalists or metaphysical supply shops. I know from experience it doesn't smolder well, though, so if you love vetivert (and it smells soooo good), try the oil in a fragrance diffuser. That is, unless you *like* having to sift out the ash in your incense burner every time you try to burn it because it leaves long carbonized strings behind, even with it placed directly on charcoal. :/

Sandalwood, patchouli, and vetivert are heavy oils, though, and while they work in a diffuser they probably won't be very strong. That may or may not be what you want.

It's also used in prosperity magic. The oil isn't very expensive and you should be able to find it fairly easily.

danieljuk
07-07-2014, 19:02
thank you for that great advice Darkmage :)

Marirowana
14-07-2014, 19:03
I use a lot of essential oils! These are the ones I love and use the most in aromatherapy:

-Fennel. Love the soft and pure scent, I use it to purify my aura.
-Lavender. It blends well with almost any other scent, it is calming and makes the effects of other oils stronger as well. Use it on mosquitobites or other itchy bites!
-Pinetree. I love all the pine-like smells, but especially cedar. I use cedar in my homemade deodorant, because it smells warm and fresh at the same time (I love to smell like a walk in the forest :D) and it also cleanses the lymph nodes, which is important in that area.
I blend it with gardenia, lemongrass and geranium.
-Vanilla
-Chamomille

If you want to make a subtle perfume with essential oils, just mix some beeswax with another oil (I use either coconut-, almond- or hempoil) and some drops of your favourite scents. It will be a solid perfume, in a cute tiny tin. Love it!