Anger being instilled into a deck?

mikemike33

Hi. I'm a new member and I have a question. Today my long awaited tarot deck came in the mail. I haven't even opened it yet, because yesterday my wife of 15 years announced she was leaving me. I harbor a lot of anger at the moment. As much as I want to handle the deck.....I think it wise not too. I think it wise not to even handle my old deck, for fear of instilling my anger and grief into the deck. Any opinions would be appreciated.

queenxofxwands

Hi Mike, ouch:( sorry to hear of your situation, to answer your question, i dont think its a good idea to use tarot in any state of high emotion, anger or otherwise, but there are also a lot of threads on this subject too, so i'd encourage you to have a look around the boards

The Guided Hermit

Sorry to hear of your situation Mike.

Yes, you are wise to hold off on working with the deck at the moment. Wait until you feel grounded before that all important first contact.

I would say though that it's arrival and the timing of the events has import. Once you are ready to handle the deck, take a look at the New Deck Interview spread. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=44573&highlight=deck

It may be very comforting for you....

Best,

Paul

Orenda

I'm sorry that you're facing such strife at this time :(

I would answer: listen to your instincts, as they have already answered you.

firecatpickles

I don't believe decks can soak up emotions like a sponge.

Even if you believe they did, your deck is still sealed so it should be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I think decks can pick up lon energirs from the reader and the sitter. But this may not be a good time in general for you to start anything new much less learning to read tarot.

The crowned one

Compare the value of the new deck of cards to 15 years of marriage, and put your efforts towards resolution on the one that seems more important to you.

Timing may wrong for a new "Deck" but if you think you might get some pleasure from going through the deck, and it would even temporarily diminish your hurt/pain. I would do it as it will not harm the cards, but keep in mind it might wreck the deck for you due to future association with this time in your life.

Sorry for your pain, I hope it works out for the best in the end.

AJ

((sorry))

for me it is associations. We had a tower day on our 40th anniversary. I just realized this morning I can't bear the thought of going to the beach, my most favorite first choice place to go...too associated with that tower moment.

The beach didn't soak up and become angry, just my association with it.
Open the deck later so you don't associate it with something unhappy.

Alta

I agree, it is a matter of associations. Do you want your new deck to be linked in your mind to this harsh period in your life? I suggest that you put the new deck aside. And best wishes, been there. :(

Umbrae

OTOH – if you’re up to your belly in mud, and you’re not a clam, perhaps a good objective companion to help you find your way out of the mud before the tide comes in and buries you would be a good thing.

I mean, don’t anthropomorphize your deck, it hates that…

The Tarot is a tool, and just now a handy metric left-handed monkey wrench may be just the ticket.

pasara

I don't think your deck will soak up your anger. But I do think that it is hard to work with Tarot effectively when emotions are running high or you are preoccupied by difficult thoughts and/or feelings. They are likely to color your readings and it is easy to start obsessing over the cards. Hey we're only human. (But remember your deck is only paper.)