Behind Your Back - Querents

greatdane

OK, I know you that read a lot for others may think this an odd question, but when you're doing a reading, the cards are facing you (because, well, YOU'RE doing the reading), do querents ever try to come behind you to see cards as you're seeing them or kind of want to read over your shoulder rather than see cards upside down facing them? I know many of you are laaaugghing as you're reading this, because it's funny to me too, but really wanted to know. And if so, do you let them or make them go back to their chair! :)

The Crone With Questions
GD

Apollonia

I've never had this happen. Once, a querent asked to sit next to me, instead of across from me, so that she could see the cards upright, and I honored her request. Maybe twice, the querent has asked to look more closely at a particular card, so I picked it up and handed it to them.

Baroli

First off, no question is silly, funny, odd, etc. I like this question because a lot of new reader's will ask how do you place the cards.

For the most part, I will draw 3 and place them so that I can read them. Now if i am going to do an very interactive reading, I will turn the cards so they face the querent and ask them what do they see, what does the card remind them of. I will bring the querent right into the interpretation of the reading and it can get very interesting.

It just depends on what the querent wants in a reading how I pull the cards and how I place them. There is no penalty if you place them always so you can read them and as you are reading them, you turn them so your client can see them as you see them. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I think the main thing to reading cards in any situation is that there are no set standard of rules. Whatever you feel like doing at the time is what you can go with,.......or not. :)

greatdane

Thanks Bar and App!

I just had never seen this come up or seen in a search. Just didn't know if there was some sort of etiquette reader and querent followed, so thought I'd ask. I've never worried about appearing stupid, I even thought the question sounded a bit silly, but I am a very self confident :) crone, so doesn't bother me at all. When I was younger in Catholic school, in a RELIGION class taught by this one mean, strict nun, she asked if there were any questions. I raised my hand and said, Do nuns wear bras? So, as you can see, even at a young age, I asked what I wanted to ask! :))) I do think the nun was glad that there were only female students in this class though.

GD

Debra

With the person sitting across from me, I lay the cards sideways so we both, by turning ourselves slightly, see the spread right-side up.

Like this.

I turn reversed cards right-side up and lay them at a 45 degree angle so we can see the image and remember to read it reversed.

Attachments

• post.JPG
    post.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 126

Grizabella

Since I'm the reader, I face them toward me. And since I'm the reader and since the same card doesn't always mean the same thing to me, I don't feel any need to say, "this card means this----and this card means this". So why show the sitter every time? I also don't feel the need to say, "well, usually this card means this and that card means that but since they're in combination they mean this together----"

I'm the reader, they're the sitter. They want to know what the cards are saying to me----for them.

Now, I don't care if they ask me questions or turn the cards their way or give me their ideas sit next to me or whatever. That's okay, too, because it's their reading. But basically I just keep the cards turned toward me and I read what they say to me. Like Baroli, if something moves me to do it I might as them what a particular card says to them. Just depends.

greatdane

Thanks, Grizabella!

I know it will not come up much for me, altho I'm sure family and friends will want to stand behind me or ask me to turn cards toward them after I read them, just never saw this brought up before. If I were having someone read for me, I would feel awkward getting up and standing behind them for a birds eye view, but then I'm not a back seat driver either!:))

rachelcat

greatdane said:
I raised my hand and said, Do nuns wear bras?
Hmmm, good question!

I always try to get the querant to sit beside me so they can see the cards upright. I have a little square table where I read, and we sit on two contiguous sides instead of across, and the cards are a bit tilted to us both.

I seem to do a lot of pointing at the cards when I read, so it only makes sense.

One time I was setting up to do readings at a party at a little tray table. Someone kept "helpfully" moving the querant chair to the other side of the table. Until I explained that I wanted people to sit next to me. Plus, it's more private for a party setting.

Maybe sitting across a table is one of those tarot myths that should go the same way as "cross my palm with silver"!

Sinduction

I prefer to sit with my sitter across from me, unless it's my sis. I place the cards face up towards me and read. You might be surprised that sitters rarely even glance at the cards, their eyes are on me. Awaiting my interpretation.

If my sitter happens to remark on a card or seems interested in the artwork I will turn them towards them as I read that card. This also helps me keep my place in the reading.

But most of them have no interest in the cards.

Sulis

I sit with my sitter adjacent to me so if I'm using a square table I sit at one side and they sit at right angles. That way we can both see the cards.
Better still, if the table is big enough we sit side by side.
If they do have to sit opposite me, I turn the card I'm talking about around so they can see it.