Poll - best deck to take to a party?

callistoluna

Hi all,
I'm taking a tarot deck to a party with me. I may or may not end up using it but I'm torn between my Hanson-Roberts and Universal Waite. The reason I'm chosing these ones is because they look "traditional" and are not too scary or harsh looking (I love my Deviant Moon for reading but I think some of the creatures may disturb some of the more uninitiated)

Help me choose!

Grizabella

Well, take all three and offer a choice. How about that for an idea? It's a party, so why not? Usually if I'm reading for the public, I just take along the one I'm more comfortable with at the time but for a party for friends, I'd take more than one if I couldn't decide. Sometimes that's a good way to break in a new deck. Just tell people you're doing that and turn it into a fun experience for everyone.

nisaba

I don't see the poll - normally it's at the top of the thread ...

callistoluna

Sorry - Hanson-Roberts or Universal Waite...

Great idea Grizabella!

BeyondtheVeil

I LOVE the Hanson-Roberts deck! :love: I love how 'sweet" it looks.
If they both feel the same to you then just take both and decide when/if you want to give any readings.

Good luck and have fun! :)
BeyondtheVeil

Grigori

UW, its more generic and stereotypical. If I went to a reader and they pulled out the Hanson-Roberts I would be put off as its too sweet for me. But I'd also vote for take them both/all, and just pick a deck at the time. Different strokes for different folks and all that :)

Elven

I like the idea that you take them all to the party. You could put them each in a bag and lay them out before the reading and ask people to chose a bag, and do the reading with the deck they chose that way - a bit of fun :D

Have a good party!

Cheers
Elven

choirqueer

I agree with what others have said -- I'll usually take several decks and let the querents choose.

callistoluna

Thanks all who gave their input. I took all three decks because of what Grizabella originally said and then some of you also expressed similar thoughts. In the end I did one 3-card reading for a friend of a friend and she chose the Hanson-Roberts. It was her first tarot reading and she really enjoyed it:)

Taamar

too late, but...

I always take three decks. One traditional (RWS, Hanson-Roberts, Sharman-Caselli), One playful (Ferret, Gummi Bear, Halloween) and whatever my primary deck has been lately.