How do you pronounce Etteilla?

April

I've been searching the web for a half hour and I'm kind of surprised I can't find anything. Maybe cuz it's a made up name... But can anybody hazard a guess as to how Allietta might have pronounced his pseudonym? I'm giving a talk about Tarot tomorrow, and I just know that if I pronounce it wrong the one person in Chicago who knows the answer will be in the audience to call me out.

While we're at it, how do you pronounce Allietta? I should take a French class...

Thanks everyone!
April

Golden Moon

April said:
I've been searching the web for a half hour and I'm kind of surprised I can't find anything. Maybe cuz it's a made up name... But can anybody hazard a guess as to how Allietta might have pronounced his pseudonym? I'm giving a talk about Tarot tomorrow, and I just know that if I pronounce it wrong the one person in Chicago who knows the answer will be in the audience to call me out.

While we're at it, how do you pronounce Allietta? I should take a French class...

Thanks everyone!
April

Alliette = Ahli-et

Good luck tomorrow.

Le Fanu

Etteilla? I say something a bit like "a tailor" (but with the "a" as more of an "eh"), but on reflection I find that I don't think I have ever pronounced this word to anyone. I just say it in my head so I don't think it matters. However, if you were doing a tarot history class or something I suppose you'd need to know...

MareSaturni

You pronounce it like this:

E-teii-ah.

The "E" is pronounced like in "Emily".

The "TEI", like Le Fanu said, sounds like like the first syllable of "TAIlor".

The double "L"in french sounds like an elongated "I".

And the last "A" is open.

Hope this helps.

Umbrae

Marina said:
The "E" is pronounced like in "Emily".

Then Tea like the drink, end it with a 'ya' like in 'Ya gonna drink that or are we done?"

e-TEA-ya

(psssst - nobody gonna laugh. I promise.)

Grizabella

Hey, I was right! I guessed it would be like Marina said it would be. LOL

Actually, till you asked the question, I hadn't thought much about it.

Lillie

Et - Elly - Ah

He's dead. I can say it how I like, he isn't going to come and get me.

MareSaturni

Umbrae said:
Then Tea like the drink, end it with a 'ya' like in 'Ya gonna drink that or are we done?"

e-TEA-ya

(psssst - nobody gonna laugh. I promise.)

Hahahahahahahahaha :joke:

Oh boy, i just love that! Yes, more or less, we can have an e-TEA-ya!

The problem for me is explaining sounds in english when it's not my native language :/. I suck at the this. Because the name has no accent marks, it's hard for me to tell if the middle "E" is more open or not. So I'm assuming that it's like the sound in "TEA", but it could be a more open sound, like the letter "e" in the word "HELL".

Maybe one of the french ATers can help us before I embarrass myself any further? Lol!

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
Etteilla? I say something a bit like "a tailor" (but with the "a" as more of an "eh"), but on reflection I find that I don't think I have ever pronounced this word to anyone. I just say it in my head so I don't think it matters. However, if you were doing a tarot history class or something I suppose you'd need to know...
I have my own unique mispronunciation.

Ett- ELLE-ya.

See? I *told* you I was an idiot! <grinning insanely> Nothing else works as well, for me.