Wow. Ouch. That was one sad phone call :-(

shelikes2read

There's nothing unusual about people calling the psychic/tarot reading service because they're unhappy about something in their lives or are seeking some guidance.

But I just got a caller that was well past that stage. She said "I'm so blue" and could barely get the words out without shedding tears.

Instinct took over. "Before I even pull any cards, let me just mention that depression is treatable. I know this from firsthand experience. Even if it makes a person feel like there's no way out from the dark back into the light, that's not true. I know that from firsthand experience, too. The doctor pointed me in the right direction.

"But I can pull a few cards so we can get some ideas for proactive things to do, to feel better. Because taking concrete action is a good way to feel better, too."

Poor lady, even though I drew cards, I hardly had time to interpret any of them for her needing to vent. Maybe she needed a willing ear more than a reading. :( I tried, the best I could, to point her in the right direction both as one person to another and as a reader to a caller. I just hope that it registered. Particularly the part where depression is treatable and a doctor can help. I wouldn't wish an untreated bout of depression on anyone (or even a treated bout with depression... it's just bad to go through that, period).

I really do hate to see people suffering like that. Please send thoughts/prayers in that caller's general direction so that she'll take whatever steps work best for her to get out of that terrible frame of mind. If she's got enough desire to improve things that she's calling a reader and venting, I hope it leads to her staying proactive and seeking help until she finds what works for her.

SunChariot

I will send my hopes and prayers for her. I know that was a hard call for you and you could not have handled it better. I hope she takes your advice. It was just what was needed. There was nothing better that you could have done:heart:

Babs

Grizabella

This is exactly the kind of person I was referring to in your thread, SunChariot. Imagine what the unscrupulous "psychic" could have done with her!

Good going, shelikes2read!

shelikes2read

Thanks!

And I sincerely pray this caller doesn't run into some unscrupulous parasite of a "reader" who would take advantage of her depressed state. That would be obscenely wrong on an infinite number of levels. May she only encounter people who steer her in the right direction till she hits on the right solution(s) for her.

And ditto for anyone else who's in a similar frame of mind.

alli cat

It sounded like you dealt with it really well but I can imagine those calls are so sad. My friend is a psychotherapist and she believes that a great % of how someone feels is just the act of being listened to, so even though you couldn't say too much, allowing her to vent was a really good thing and probably very cathartic for her.

Hugs to you, hope you're feeling ok about it. Allicat xx

thorhammer

shelikes2read, your compassion is a beautiful thing. It's a credit to you :heart:

That kind of sincerity cannot help but have some positive effect.

\m/ Kat

DarkElectric

((((((((((((((((Shelikes2read)))))))))))))

It's so hard when people are so sad, and come to us for comfort and advice. I'll be thinking of this poor lady. May the light illuminate her path to find the solution, and a truly caring doctor who'll be able to help.
Just by listening to her you probably helped her a lot more than you know.

Umbrae

Welcome to the real world of real reading.

Now do that F2F. They are easier to touch than over the phone...

callistoluna

She made the first positive step to healing by talking to you - and she is fortunate to have had a good person to listen. Sometimes that's all one needs.
Now hopefully, she will take the next step and listen to your wise words of advice and see the doctor - you have done the right and compassionate thing.