What Not To Wear...To An Event

Chronata

I know we have had many threads here about how we dress, and how our appearance can determine how much money we can make, and who is drawn to us.

I have a gig on Friday...and usually I know what sort of impression I want to make.
I dress a bit dramatically in my everyday life,(India clothing, or gypsyish) so it's easy for me to determine when to kick it up a notch, or when to tone it down.

But for this one...I need some help.

First of all...it's for a Bridal Show. Usually I think Bridal show...and I think, Ok...what would I wear to an afternoon wedding of someone I don't really know.

But now I have discovered...it's a bachelorette party for TV's The Bachelorette...and I am trying to figure out if that changes anything.

Should I wear a nice pink conservative dress?...a flowered cocktail hat? Something more in my usual style?

Any suggestions?

I have clothes for all occasions...and a closet full of costumes. :D

greatdane

This is a professional reading right?

If they are hiring you to do readings, I would dress like you normally would. I would think they would expect you to look like someone who might do readings, or their perception of what someone who reads looks like, so I say go for it! You could always lay out different outfits and we could pick! :)))

GD

Baroli

Seriously,....this is for TV? I know this is going to sound like a diplomatic answer, but something showy, but not too showy. Crap!!! That is so noncommittal. :p

You don't want to look drab, but on the same side, you don't want to convey that you're the crazy gypsy-lady that reads cards. Chronata, I know you can com up with something that will convey what you do and that you aren't some loony-tune.

Kimberlee

Just a thought, since it is for TV, they might choose an outfit for you prior to your going on the show. So I would start with something simple (and easy to change out of) along with neutral makeup and a relaxed hairstyle.

Good luck! And how exciting! :D

~Kimberlee

greatdane

Do we get to vote?

You could post what you're thinking of wearing, if not pix, and we could comment. I love the kind of Indian-Gypsy, a little showy, like a tasteful gypsy (and I know you are ALWAYS tasteful, Chronata!). Somewhere between what everyone would THINK someone TRYING to be a reader would dress like and what an actual reader with your fun personality would dress like. I bet your stuff for everyday is really cool!

Chronata

I am honestly not sure there are going to be TV cameras there or not...this is not the most recent Bachelorette...but I do think she is still on some sort of reality show circuit, so it will probably be filmed...for something later.

Yeah...I think a white gauzy blouse and a pretty springy sort of dress over it...might do.

as you say...not too dramatic...but also what a reader might be expected to look like!
I can't believe I am second guessing myself here!

Thanks for the ideas!

Now I gotta figure out what deck to bring! (definitely not the All Hallows)

satinangel

I know you will come up with something GREAT, but if it were me, I think I would contact the person that hired you and let them know the options you have. I am sure they would love to have some input.

shelikes2read

You could ask them if they have a particular preference, regarding your dress code, and let them give you some hints. I'm sure they'll be glad to know that you're willing and able to be on the same page as they are, provided they tell you the page number.

Have a great time doing the party! :)

Amanda

Okay, well this is difficult without knowing what you look like or anything, but here is what I would wear:

dark wash (it's a little dressier the darker they are) skinny jeans with some type of boot going partially up the leg.
a flowy peasant-like top
a big bulky necklace that falls just below the collar bone but not on to the shirt
one big piece of jewelry as a ring on one of my middle fingers
I would take some oil/shine spray and go to town curling my hair with a 1 - 1 1/2" curling iron to get some big curls, and when I was done would mess it up a bit, then pull the top half of my hair back with a barette (again almost peasant like) and maybe leave some front pieces flowing free in front of my face. (So you can see some matching earrings for that bulky necklace)
Pluck/wax the eyebrows, light make-up that has more of a natural theme.

This should give you a not too dressy, tarot-chic, "normal" person image but still be "ooh" and "ahh" enough for those out there who expect a wart-faced gypsy with a crystal ball.

Hope that helps! :)

214red

to be honest i dress as i normally would.
if people were picking readers from a selection of them based on clothing, i am likely to get the nottoointothisspiritualmalarky type of women, and men.

i dont feel that i need to sell an image,i am me, and if someone wants someone more spiritual looking, there are tons of others to go for, there is space in this world for everyone.