How/Where to learn Astrology

leelee

Astrology is something that has always fascinated me. I have borrowed books from the library at different times and I think that they were beyond beginners level as I couldn't understand any of them .

Can someone explain the what nots about it and what the different symbols mean or perhaps put me onto a beginners site. I have downloaded my picture of the wheel (told you I was a beginner <grin>) and I have NO understanding of what the different symbols mean.

Thanks in advance

le.jour.obscurcit

leelee said:
Astrology is something that has always fascinated me. I have borrowed books from the library at different times and I think that they were beyond beginners level as I couldn't understand any of them .

Can someone explain the what nots about it and what the different symbols mean or perhaps put me onto a beginners site. I have downloaded my picture of the wheel (told you I was a beginner <grin>) and I have NO understanding of what the different symbols mean.

Thanks in advance

You mean the symbols of the zodiac signs, planets, and aspects?

Google is your friend. All you had to do was simply type "astrology symbols" into Google, and voilĂ :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_symbols

Now that was easy wasn't it?

leelee

Ouch!

Ouch!

No what I ment was how do I read a chart?

Perhaps this site is not the site to ask as a beginner! :(

le.jour.obscurcit

leelee said:
Ouch!

No what I ment was how do I read a chart?

Perhaps this site is not the site to ask as a beginner! :(

Meant**

And it wasn't clear to me that you were asking that.

Well, I'd refer to the "Traditional Approaches to Astrology" Thread; it is very helpful.

dadsnook2000

The basics behind the basics for learning Astrology

The basics behind the basics for learning Astrology.

Before you read several books and familiarize yourself with the symbols and read your newspaper horoscope column, you need to first assess your own nature and skill-learning capabilities. Consider these issues:

** MYTHOLOGY. When in school, did you read about Greek, Roman, Egyptian mythology? Does it interest you? So much of Astrology's context is based on stories of ancient times and the practices that have been developed over time and handed down to us that knowledge of these subjects is very helpful.

** ASTRONOMY. Do you wonder about the stars, the changing phases of the Moon, why the seasons behave as they do? Do you understand that the stars appear to stay still relative to each other but may appear in different areas of the sky depending upon the season of the year? Do you know the planet's names, can you spot Venus in the morning or evening sky? Being comfortable when reading and learning about these topics is important to the learning process of Astrology.

** HIGH SCHOOL MATH & GEOGRAPHY. Are you capable of working with high school math? Although computers do much of the work for us, knowing how to add, subtract, do proportions, being able to convert hours-minutes-seconds or degree-minutes-seconds into a decimal format or back again is essential. Do you feel comfortable with geography in general. Do you know how to identify time zones on a globe or world map? Do you understand latitude and longitude? Geography and math go together for the Astrologer.

** READING and FOCUS. Do you like to read and study? Learning astrology requires that you do some reading, lots of reading. And, you need to be able to absorb and understand what you read --- either because you are mentally flexible and imaginative, or because you take up a pencil and paper and make notes and sketch out ideas, or because you have people you can and will discuss this with in length ---- all of this to take in and absorb what you read through the step-by-step process of applying every detail in some way.

Along with reading, do you or will you buy astrology magazines, search the Internet for astrology sites, find sharing lists such as this one and follow along and ask questions ---- and more importantly, use that gained knowledge and participate such that you show your progress. Astrologers as a whole will help anyone at anytime, but they lose patience with those who ask but do not work at the learning process.

ALL OF THE ABOVE is what you need in terms of your personality, attitude and interests before you start the process of learning. If this is not in one's makeup, then they should be willing to recognize that they are curious but not dedicated to learning. Astrology will require a lot of time and effort to learn ---- I encourage anyone to learn Astrology, I know it will be highly rewarding, but it does require effort, patience, curiosity, interest and a child-like joy in discovering yourself within the mysteries of the world and the stars. Dave

Minderwiz

Dave makes some good points - learning Astrology well can be quite demanding and that requires a really strong desire to learn in some depth. It took me three goes in my learning process over about 35 years before I got the real urge to persevere and see it through.

However most people are quite satisfied with a general knowledge and that too brings some problems, as there are hundreds (to put it conservatively) websites out there trying to explain Astrology. Which is best is much down to personal feeling rather than objective fact. The same is true about books.

Two beginners books that I liked when I learned are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chart-Inter...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270820293&sr=8-2

by Stephen Arroyo. The link allows you to 'look inside' to see if you like it before you buy.

The other one was Alan Oken's 'Complete Astrology' but unless you can find a second hand copy to buy new requires silly money.

No beginners book will answer all or most of your questions, they are designed to give you a basis for progress, should you decide to press on.

Good luck and please post again if you have further issues

Libra8ca

I mostly learned from books. A few books that I found useful as a beginner were:
Heaven Knows What and Astrology for the Millions- Grant Lewi
Instant Horoscope Predictor -Julia Lupton Skalka
Secrets From a Stargazer's Notebook -Debbi Kempton Smith

I found all of these books easy to read and straightforward.

lilangel09

I admit I can't interpret my own chart without the aid of a book yet, but I know bits and pieces of it. It's a lot of information to synthesize.

It's very easy to start astrology, and I feel it's like learning in layers. Putting it together is more difficult.

The basics are:
-the ascendant, luminaries, and planets: what they mean and what they rule.
-the aspects or shape the planets form (how the planets interact)
-the houses the planets are in (where the planets influence)
-the signs the planets are in (how/in what manner the planets act)

www.elsaelsa.com has a nice beginners' series.

These are the first astrology books I read:
-The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need by Joanna Martine Woolfolk
-Secrets From a Stargazer's Notebook -Debbi Kempton Smith

They are both very fun books.

wind

Really great two books to get into astrology are from Clare Martin: Mapping the Psyche volume 1 and 2.

For more in depth exploration: all the books from Liz Greene and Howard Sasportas. I also recommend Tracy Marks and of course, Stephen Arroyo.