Natural Home Cleaners

greatdane

OK a bit different from home remedies so started a new thread.

Anyone try Trader Joe's Cedarwood and Sage multi-purpose cleaner? I like the smell. Makes my bathroom smell clean, but not medicinal.

Lavender spray room freshener.

Baking soda, white vinegar for cleaning almost anything. I pour a bit of baking soda in sink, then about a cup of white vinegar, drains smell great! Just don't overdo the baking soda, a little goes a long way.

Cut up lemons for disposal. My young niece would love it when I would cut up lemons, run water, let sit and then turn on. She said it smelled sooo good in the kitchen!

Rubbing alcohol, ok maybe not considered that natural, but use it to disinfect toilet seat and lid and around sink. Particularly handy if you have someone ill in the house. There's a reason doctors rub a bit on you before giving you a shot! It disinfects.

Hydrogen Peroxide Use it to disinfect toothbrush and it has a myriad of uses. Google sometime!

celticnoodle

greatdane said:
OK a bit different from home remedies so started a new thread.

Baking soda, white vinegar for cleaning almost anything. I pour a bit of baking soda in sink, then about a cup of white vinegar, drains smell great! Just don't overdo the baking soda, a little goes a long way.
white vinegar is a great all purpose cleaner for many things!!! i have a self cleaning oven, but as soon as it is done, I go over it with diluted white vinegar and a sponge to get any build up that may have accumulated.

also, take lemon water in a bowl and put it in your microwave and microwave it a few minutes then, wipe clean easily with a wet sponge. it will get any dried on foods that may have been left there. again, wipe clean again with the diluted vinegar water on a sponge too--but it is not really necessary to do so.

Cut up lemons for disposal. My young niece would love it when I would cut up lemons, run water, let sit and then turn on. She said it smelled sooo good in the kitchen!
egg shells are also very good for this, but do not smell as nice as the lemon, I'll admit!

to clean your kitchen floors: (no-wax floors)
1 cup vinegar
2 gallons of hot water
1 tbls. liquid soap

combine all ingredients in a bucket and use the mop to go over it.

for your laundry-

2 cups baking soda
2 cups white vinegar
4 cups water

mix ingredients and use 1/4 cup per load in the final rinse, and it comes out smelling very fresh and clean! it is esp. good for people who have delicate skin.

Rubbing alcohol, ok maybe not considered that natural, but use it to disinfect toilet seat and lid and around sink. Particularly handy if you have someone ill in the house. There's a reason doctors rub a bit on you before giving you a shot! It disinfects.

Hydrogen Peroxide Use it to disinfect toothbrush and it has a myriad of uses. Google sometime!
not only is it good for disinfecting your toothbrush, BUT! if you put a bit of it on your toothbrush and then add the toothpaste to it, the peroxide will work with the toothpaste, (AND in some cases better then the toothpaste) to rid your mouth of any germs, as well as help to whiten your teeth. do this at each brushing for maximum benefits.

now, back to white vinegar. this is a staple in our house. you can use pure vinegar in your toilet bowl and it will get rid of rings as well as any germs. pour some in and let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes. then, using your toilet bowl brush, swish it around well and then flush it. it also will help with hard water stains if you have hard water.

diluted vinegar in a spray bottle of water, equal portions of each, is good for cleaning countertops, appliances and is great as a fabric softener as well as teh final rinse in your dishwasher! don't go and buy that blue stuff for the final rinse in your dishwasher. fill it up with white vinegar instead and you will see it does an even better job then the blue junk.

white vinegar is also a good leather cleaner. pour some on a cloth and wipe it onto the leather until it becomes shiny again.

and, everyone knows to use it as a window cleaner, I think--1 cup vinegar to 2 gallons of hot water and put it in a spray bottle when cooled. use to clean both windows and mirrors.

1 cup vinegar to 1 cup warm water sprayed on your carpet will help to rid the odor of animal urine in a carpet.

when cooking pasta or potatoes or rice--take some vegetable oil and rub it around the top of the pot. viola! no boil overs! :D

lemon juice is another fantastic household commodity. :D lemon juice diluted in water and put into a spray bottle is wonderful for your wood furniture! tho, just to be sure--try it first on a spot that is not so noticeable. Now, I will admit, I don't use real lemons, but instead buy Mr Clean Lemon scented cleaner and will pour a few Tablespoons into the bottle and then fill it with water. I also do not spray it directly on my wood, but onto a soft cloth and then use the cloth on the wood.

I think everyone knows to put an open box of baking soda into the refridgerator to absorb the odors. but, then, when it is time to change it, don't throw it away! wash it down your kitchen sink and it will still get rid of any odors in the drain.

btw--the lemon water is also a great deterent against spiders! wipe it around windows and doors inside and out and you may not have any more problems with the spiders. they taste with their legs, and do not like the 'taste' of lemons or any citrus for that matter.

to get rid of ants. take a piece of chalk and draw a fine line around any opening--door or window. ants don't like the feel of chalk and won't cross it.

have a very difficult dish with coated on food and grime? (such as a lasagna pan or scalloped potato pan?) pre-soak it in dishwashing detergent and hot water. it only needs to soak about 10 min. then, take a brush to it and brush it all out.

vinegar, lemon and baking soda and cooking oil are fantastic household cleaners!

greatdane

OOOH, good ones, Celtic!

I also use the lemon in microwave, forgot that one! Thanks for adding so many cool things. That's a keeper.... I love to use natural when possible. For one thing, smells better and I hate toxic fumes.

GD

greatdane

Fresher Carpeting

Didn't list baking soda particularly for this, but wonderful rug freshener! An upstairs bedroom was getting quite stuffy, sprinkled a whole box of baking soda all over carpeting, let it sit about a day, vacuumed and sooo much fresher! Plus it doesn't leave a sickly sweet or chemical smell like some do, just freshens. Now even my vacuum smells nicer!

celticnoodle

oh yes! one i forgot as well. my mom always did this. she use to buy one that had a fragrance to it, but my husband would sneeze up a storm when we came to visit, if she had just done this. :laugh: so, she changed to just using plain ol' baking soda, and it's a lot cheaper as well! :D

greatdane

The Pet Fresh one, Celtic?

If so, yep, I used that one. Could sometimes give me a headache, and just switched to the plain, cheap stuff. Sometimes less is indeed more, and better!

celticnoodle

btw, cleaning house today, and i wasn't sure if i posted this earlier, but....

take your baking soda, and mix it with a bit of salt - about 1 cup of each, and also a cup of vinegar and pour it down your drain. leave it for about 15 or 20 minutes, and then pour very hot water down the drain and let the hot water run for a few mintues, it will take care of any clogs you may have. I generally do this when I am pulling out the old box of baking soda from the fridge.

baking soda is another miracle cleanser. :) it's also good to use when you brush your teeth--as it helps to clean your mouth very well, and gets rid of any bad smells in your mouth.

and, it's a great little item to have on hand for medicinal purposes--

make a paste of baking soda and water and apply to bee stings or spider bites, or any type of sting--such as jelly fish stings. it will help to take the sting out of it right away!

also, great to use in the bath, if you have an outbreak of poison ivy or chicken pox, or some other hives or rash outbreak.

also, don't forget the oatmeal! sprinkle some of that in your bathwater too, if you suffer from any type of hives or rash, or even chicken pox. it really helps to dry it out and clear it up quickly.

and, if you have your own septic tank, and you want to keep it clean, buy a gallon of milk and let it go sour, and then pour that soured milk down the toilet and flush. there is something in the milk that will break down the junk in your septic tank. this is something that a septic tank cleaning company mentioned to my daughter when she had to have them out to clean out their septic. he said to do this about once a month or so.

and, while we are at it, did i mention how wonderful fresh lemons are??? drink lemon water a few times through out the day and it'll help to ward off any viruses and infections within the body. it also helps to clean out your mouth after eating anything, if you can't get to the sink to brush. so, remember to ask for lemon water at teh restaurant next time you're out eating-and finish your meal off by drinking that! :D also, soaking your toothbrush in that for awhile before brushing can help too.

just a few more I happened to think of. :)

can you tell i use natural remedies often in my cleaning routine? :p

greatdane

ooooh, good ones, Celtic...!

I use the baking soda and vinegar thing on drains, love it. It works better than anything else I've tried to freshen drains. It's amazing, but with just four or five simple, inexpensive items, one can do sooo many things around the house. Cheaper, healthier and better, how do you beat that?

Did not know about the milk thing and septic tank, but I've never had a septic tank to worry about. Will remember that one though.

celticnoodle

greatdane, why is it we seem to be the only ones on this thread? :p

and, yeah, i had never heard the milk thing either, but use it now, since that guy told the kids who shared it with us. we've lived in this house for 4yrs. now, and never had the septic cleaned. the previous owners lived here for oh, about 20 or 30 years, and my neighbors, who lived here longer told me that they don't recall seeing them ever having it cleaned either. so, i figure, the milk idea can't hurt anything, and so when I do remember, I do it! lol! and, btw, yes, we live in a very small town, where EVERYONE knows EVERYTHING about the neighbors! lol! :laugh:

greatdane

Hey, the threads getting viewed! lol

We may be the only ones posting, but I can tell others are reading. Maybe we've just covered all the bases re natural cleaners lol.

GD