Herbs for liver detox

caridwen

I have been looking for various liver detox supplements and herbs.

So far it seems as though milk thistle and dandelion are a good combination. I was hoping to get some kind of tea. Do you guys know of a reputable tea or brand I could buy and what I should be looking for?

I found one with:
Dandelion root (10%), burdock root (10%), corn silk, milk thistle, bearberry leaves, liquorice root, peppermint (10%), spearmint (10%), ginger root, sage, galangal root, artichoke leaves.

Does that look ok?

Also, what about Epsom salts?

pepperedmoth

That tea looks like a fine combination to me, although not what I would pick. I always prefer to make my own blends- I really don't like how licorice tends to overpower all other flavors. I also like to stick with no more than four ingredients in a tea- I feel like I can't be getting much of anything if I have so many.

It also depends on why you want a liver cleanse. If there's an underlying medical condition, you should see a medical herbalist and there's no way I can give you advice. If it's just a cleanse for the sake of a cleanse, what you've got there would be fine, or if it was me I'd make my own of milk thistle, burdock, dandelion, and nettle (there's a great local herb shop here that I can buy ingredients from- don't know about where you are).

What about Epsom salts? I certainly would not recommend them for internal use!

TomTom

I do agree with pepperedmoth.

My liver is often stressed from the medications I have to take, and milk thistle helps a lot. Dandelions in general are just so nutritious, and for a tea I buy the dried roots in a herb store.
I should dry them myself since my yard is drowning in them; but I'm a lazy bummer :D
You cannot expect immediate results, though. It takes a while.

The crowned one

Red clover and milk thistle would be a good start for a base of a tea.

TomTom

The crowned one said:
Red clover and milk thistle would be a good start for a base of a tea.

Red Clover currently is being studied for possible benefits in sufferers of heart disease, diabetes, menopausal symptoms, and the prostate.
Red Clover has side effects and contraindications with other medications.
I haven't found anything that indicates Red Clover to be helpful with liver detoxification.

The top important herbs for liver health are:
Milk Thistle
Dandelion Root
Artichoke Leaves
Boldo Leaf
Astragalus.

see: http://www.vitaminstuff.com/herbs
http://www.energiseforlife.com