Collector's thoughts

nisaba

Stray thought:

I have 73 decks.

There are 78 cards in a usual Tarot deck, so I think that in accordance with my sense of humour, a 78-deck collection would be just-about perfect.

Any bets how long someone like me would last before exceeding this target?

(I'm betting on my succumbing to -er- urges within a month of landing a new job, myself! I don't have a lot of faith in me.)

jackdaw*

Uh oh ... you sound like ME.

Way back in the day I figured that 16 decks - one for each court card - was perfect. And of course I exceeded that.

So I said 22: one for each trump. Well, that didn't last either.

Okay, how about ... 41? One for each Minchiate trump!

No?

Okay, 78, then. And that'll be it. Honest.

At every turn I resolved that come the 23rd deck, or the 79th, or the gazillion-and-oneth, I would sell or give away one for every new one I bought. That didn't happen. Then I gave up. At 200 decks I realized this was an issue. And I did a massive culling.

So now I don't put a limit on my decks, and it works much better ... my only rule now is that I can only buy decks I will USE. If I find myself not using it, out it goes. And so far that works well.

nisaba

jackdaw* said:
Uh oh ... you sound like ME.
You are a bird of a very respectable feather, then!

jackdaw* said:
... my only rule now is that I can only buy decks I will USE. If I find myself not using it, out it goes. And so far that works well.
<wince>

I felt a flash of actual pain at the thought of parting with decks I love but don't use for one reason or another!

jackdaw*

Yeah, but it forces me to try out decks that I previously would have just stroked and admired!

Lillie

Right now I am thinking 'If I don't sell them, I'll burn them instead'

So I might be selling some stuff...

Mostly it's to do with the frame of mind I am in.
Right now I am in a burning sort of mood.

And my bet is that you will have more then 78 by the summer solstice.

GadgetGirl

Lillie said:
Right now I am thinking 'If I don't sell them, I'll burn them instead'

Mostly it's to do with the frame of mind I am in.
Right now I am in a burning sort of mood.

GASP!

Alta

Maybe I could gently point you in the direction of some other threads about being sorry you got rid of decks? I know that I have only gotten rid of a handful over the years and to greater or lesser degree regret them all. I figure as long as I have room to store them and spare money, I'll let whoever handle it when I check out.

Do you have the job? If not, three to five months afterwards would be my guess.

214red

am sure you will reach this target...i have also just seen a flying pig, and hell has just frozen over...

Glitterbird

Maybe if you didn't count them and attach a number to it, you could never have too many. You would always have just enough. Thats my plan (I'm an addict you see)

Le Fanu

Oh not that old rites de passage... })

I bet there isn't a tarot collector out there who hasn't had the idea that they'll stop at 78. I think I had it once for 10 minutes when I noticed I had 76 or 77...

Now I'm on the 365 target. Much more practical. Then I'll need to buy "just one more" deck ready for leap years...