Outline Infomative Speech on Tarot

Dizzybliss

Hello all.
I have to present an informative speech in my Oral Comm class and I chose Tarot because I am sure no one else would choose it and I feel I have enough knowledge that I can speak about it for 5 minutes

Now I am just going to present the basics like what the tarot is ie 78 cards
22 belonging to the major arcana, 56 belonging to the minor etc
a little about the history
what a reading is

I need a need statement: a reason why basic knowledge about tarot is important

I was thinking that I could say that it expands a person's cultural knowledge but I want something to encompass all the class including those who see tarot as "evil" and "not real"

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Namaste

Cerulean

My suggestion is make it personal and creative

Bring visuals.
I would suggest talking about tarot as creatively appealing--perhaps if you could mention different artists have find it appealing to interpret 22 majors.
Or if you only have one deck to show, but need different sources of information, google search on creative writing and the tarot and see if you could write a fast one line summary for each major. Just suggest generally what the suits represent and mention its ace-ten and the courts of each suit.
If you had time for a one card draw with a major, you might just suggest it works for you as a creative metaphor and tarot could be of value to creative thinkers.
Hope this is brief enough for 5 minutes.

Best wishes

Cerulean

Grizabella

I'd also include something about the Golden Dawn as well as the collaboration of the creator and the artist for the deck. I suggest you have a cruise through the History forum here to glean information about those two topics. I'm not a big history buff about Rider Waite, but as I understand it, the Rider Waite is a departure from the Marseilles tradition, so if you're doing a talk on the Rider Waite tarot deck, that would certainly apply to your topic.

At least, in my limited, fairy uneducated opinion. :)

Dizzybliss

Thank you both for you suggestions
Getting everything down to 5 minutes is overwhelming describing just the Marseille deck would take 5 minutes and still it just wouldn't do it justice.

nisaba

Dizzybliss said:

I was thinking that I could say that it expands a person's cultural knowledge but I want something to encompass all the class including those who see tarot as "evil" and "not real"
* It enables a person to tap into their secret hidden issues, just as dream interpretation does;
* A collection of Tarot decks is the easiest, cheapest and most portable way to collect and extensive art collection from all cultures;
* Tarot does NOT make anything bad happen, but it can provide warnings, allowing you to make choices to lessen the negative impacts on your life or avoid them altogether.
* Tarot grew out of church history, and there are very many specifically Christian decks.
* Tarot provides a range of images with all kinds of associations, so it strengthens neural connections in the physical brain and helps clarify your thinking.

nicky

Dizzybliss said:

It is a helpful tool to connect with issues that everyone experiences by working with universal symbols.

frelkins

Dizzybliss said:

Because at a time when people have to come to experience themselves and other people primarily as digital objects or digital representations, the tarot reconnects people to each other - and by encouraging you to turn off your electronic intermediaries, which divorce your consciousness from your actual self, gives you a chance to physically spend time thinking about who you actually are, working to develop your intuition and empathy in real life, not just with Notes on [insert social network of the moment]. :D

Dizzybliss

Wow thank you for your need statements I was still clueless as to why a skeptic might care about tarot.

I definitely hope that it is okay with everyone if reword a couple of them to use for my speech.

Thank you a billion and I will tell you how my speech goes, I have to present tomorrow.

Dizzybliss

So I presented my speech which content wise was super condensed. I couldn't go into the history as much as I wanted or should have 5 minutes is just to short for a good Tarot Speech. But over all I am happy with how it went. Thank you all for your suggestions and I send you much love and happy giddy vibes.

Blessed be
~ Erika

P.S. I hope that inspired some of my classmates into getting into Tarot.