Sparkly obsidian?

canid

Has anyone seen this? I googled to no avail. No, I don't have a pic because I saw this at a rock show yesterday but I didn't have money to buy it. Durn. It was black, sorta dull glittery in its natural state, but where it was polished it looked like black goldstone. The proprietor said it was sparkly obsidian. It was stunning!

jcwirish

I looked for it too for you. Can't find it anywhere. Maybe he didn't have the correct name for it?

canid

He seemed pretty certain, but I don't know. It couldn't have been black goldstone because it was definitely not manmade. Sure was pretty, shiny as glass.

Apollonia

Might it have been specular hematite?

Fostha

Have you googled "snowflake obsidian"? Thats standard obsidian with little white flecky spots(that resemble snowflakes...hence the name) A lovely stone too.:) HTH

canid

Fostha said:
Have you googled "snowflake obsidian"? Thats standard obsidian with little white flecky spots(that resemble snowflakes...hence the name) A lovely stone too.:) HTH

Nope, it didn't look anything like snowflake obsidian. It was an obsidian I'd never seen or heard of. Teeny tiny flakes of 'glitter', similar to gold stone. But that's manmade.

Apollonia

Are you absolutely certain it was obsidian? I ask because the piece of specular hematite I purchased was mislabeled obsidian (and by an otherwise pretty knowledable dealer), but I found out later that it's a type of hematite.

Black and teeming with gorgeous shiny flecks,like the night sky. Dull and glittery on the unpolished side, kind of like fabric with a sheen.

I couldn't find a great image of it on short notice, but here's a representative photo:
http://www.bestcrystals.com/html/kids/images/KD-58b.jpg

canid

Apollonia said:
Are you absolutely certain it was obsidian? I ask because the piece of specular hematite I purchased was mislabeled obsidian (and by an otherwise pretty knowledable dealer), but I found out later that it's a type of hematite.

Black and teeming with gorgeous shiny flecks,like the night sky. Dull and glittery on the unpolished side, kind of like fabric with a sheen.

I couldn't find a great image of it on short notice, but here's a representative photo:
http://www.bestcrystals.com/html/kids/images/KD-58b.jpg

Ding ding ding! And the winner is...yup, that was it; he was wrong. Thank you! Isn't it just beautiful?!