What do you believe?

Silver Crow

After a recent thread and reading back through the forums posts I have a question. PLEASE - no negative posts saying things are silly or whatever, not the intention of this thread, it's just a thread to give a feel of where people on the board right now are at.. Just share what you believe as far as tarot goes.

1. Are they just cards or are they a catalyst for something more than that?

2. Do you have specific thoughts or beliefs that you include with your tarot rituals or readings, if yes, what are they and why?

Also, anything else you want to add. I'm really curious!

I will go first.

1. I believe that cards are a catalyst, for what I don't know, but it's something I can feel even though I don't always connect with it the way I want to. I do think readings can be done by anyone, even those that don't believe as I do, but I think that they are different types of readings when done by someone who feels there is something else guiding them. For me, the readings come from within somehow, the meaning of a card this minute may change for the next reading for me, it's like a movie in my mind when I work with the cards.

2. I have certain things I believe - most of you probably know I believe in salt and sage smudges prior to each reading to cleans the cards and myself from any negativity they may hold from the last reading. I believe that the cards speak through me, I don't read them but I've always had some sort of physic thing going on with me since I was a child, that I know things before they happen and feel what others have gone through in the past, this isn't always but with a lot of people I can make that connection. I know not everyone has this, but it's just the way I am.

That's pretty much it for me. I don't do any other things like runes, or astrology but my oldest son does astrology, numerology and palm reading. He doesn't connect with the cards like I do so he stuck with more tangible means of helping others.

I look forward to hearing about your tarot journeys.

seeker1969

Hi, I think this is a great topic!
I am just really getting started so I can only share how I feel now. When I am "getting" a reading or really understanding something with my cards, I will get goose bumps...so far that is how I am able to tell that I am going in the right direction. So, for me, I have to say that I think this is more than just looking up the meanings of a card. Catalyst is a great way to describe reading the cards...I don't know where it comes from but, I can tell when there is something important to be learned. I hope that rambling mess has made some sense! LOL I actually decided to work with tarot because I too have always been a little "different" and to know things about people that I shouldn't know. I feel like this gives me direction and guidance. I haven't developed any rituals yet but I am very open to that idea too.
Thanks for the great post!
mar

Lillie

I believe in nothing.

I have no rituals, no beliefs, no higher power or guides or angels.
Nothing.

Sometimes I just know stuff and the cards help me just know stuff.

Other than that there is nothing, no meaning behind it, no purpose to it.
Just pieces of cardboard with pictures on.

Mostly it's something I do to pass the time.
The fact that I am pretty good with them sometimes is a fact that never ceases to baffle me.
But I stopped questioning it years ago.

rabidwolfie

First I have to ask what is a smudge? Is it rubbing the salt/sage across the cards or something? Afraid I'm not familiar with that practice.

1. This is difficult for me to answer. I know they are nothing but cards, ink printed on paper with symbolic imagery, rationally I get that, but I also think there's more to a tarot deck than that.
Until the deck is "owned" it seems dormant, not really alive but not completely inanimate. The first moment I tear off that plastic & finger through them, or in the case of a used deck, look through & put them in order, the cards feel like they "wake up" or "Come alive" for me, & we begin the process of getting to know each other.
Regardless of their parts (ink & paper) all of my decks have always had personalities, favored subjects, & ways of speaking to me. Some decks open up to me immediately while others are a bit slower, seeming to check me out first before sharing thier secrets with me.

2. I have a habit of lighting a candle before I'll begin a reading. Not because it attracts good fortune or spirits or anything, but just because I like candles & it helps me focus & organize my thoughts.
When reading for another person, I found I get the best results if I shuffle, let them cut the deck, & then I pick the cards. I have had clients bend my cards, drop them & step on them, try looking through them to pick the cards they want, get food on my cards, etc. And often they don't know how to shuffle, or they pick cards at random & then look at them before handing them to me & then I have no idea if it was upright or reversed. If they only cut the deck, it's much safer. I handle the rest from there.

I personally can not do vague readings. If someone says "Well, just do anything. Whatever you want." Then I won't even bother to try. Unless you have something YOU want to know, there's no reason to talk to me. I am not a psychic that can look into a crystal ball & go "Ahah! I see what's going on with your life!" If you want a reading just for the sake of getting a reading, they offer them free online.

TheWorldXXI

Great Topic!!

1) Personally, I think the cards let you reflect on things in more depth than you could if you just sat down and thought about it. I'm not sure though, the cards always seem to give such valid answers for me that it's daunting at times. Maybe there is some greater influence.

2) As for rituals, I don't really have any but when I get new cards, I usually cleanse them with sage or the like. I also like to break them in, like sleeping with them under my pillow lol, maybe a bit strange but aaahhhh well.

Excellent question by the way :)

Antonio

Silver Crow

Great answers so far!

RabidWolf - Smudging is a Native American practice. I burn a little bit of sage then let the smoke carry away the negative energies from the cards. When not in use my cards are stored in a box that has a large satchel of salt. Salt is also known to have purifying properties and some use it to "cleanse" the cards so to speak between readings.

I also smudge my home once a week going room to room and keep a bowl of salt in the main areas of the house.

Here is a great blog post on smudging: http://www.pharrah13.com/smudging.html (not my blog)

TheWorldXXI

I forgot to mention before, I always keep my cards in silk and sometimes I leave them in sunlight or moonlight to remove/absorb negative energy.

Antonio

Nytebugg

I feel they are cards. The imagery or the card itself kind of kicks off an inner knowing of some sort. It's just a tool for me. My sister can do it with runes. I look at runes and they are just rocks with weird symbols. I don't question where it comes from. Other people in my family; my mom and my great grandmothers all had or have talents that involved knowing beyond what you could see and feel.
I do not do rituals. I'm one of the ones one here that is lucky i don't get maple syrup on my cards from reading in the kitchen. I am a bit more careful than that. I read anywhere and everywhere. By everywhere I mean everywhere. I have been known to read at Starbucks for fun. I don't light scented things as a general rule because I have allergies and incense can bother me and give me a migraine. I do burn some scented candles but not as part of reading...they're all food type scents like coffee toffee and lemon tart.
well, I might do one thing that may be considered a ritual, i shuffle a few times before asking my question. Not really to clear energy. I think it's more to sort of center...like a deep breath or two.

AJ

rabidwolfie said:
First
I personally can not do vague readings. If someone says "Well, just do anything. Whatever you want." Then I won't even bother to try. Unless you have something YOU want to know, there's no reason to talk to me. I am not a psychic that can look into a crystal ball & go "Ahah! I see what's going on with your life!" If you want a reading just for the sake of getting a reading, they offer them free online.

slight deviation sideways from topic, this should be at the top of most readings offers threads.

My opinion on the thread subject is probably prejudged as silly so I'll keep that to myself.

Silver Crow

AJ - There are no silly, prejudged, or wrong answers. The idea is to get a feel for how people on the board feel in general, not to judge. Please share.