How much to charge

Chronata

Need some advice on what seems like a reasonable amount to charge for readings.

It's been a while since I had a reading gig where I charge per reading...for years I have done events where it is for tips, or paid for by the host.

When I do street festivals, I have charged $10 to $15 for as long as it takes...which is pretty damn cheap, I know.

In a week I will be sitting in an amazing gypsy tent I put together, and doing readings at a Renaissance festival in upper Wisconsin that is a pretty new venue.

I am trying to figure out how to price this...I always think a dollar a minute is a good deal, but I am paying quite a bit to rent the space, so need to make more than what I pay(my rent is $125 a weekend)

I was hoping to have two different slots ...15 minute and half hour readings.

I am offering stone readings (lithopmancy, crowstone and/ or dreamstones...haven't decide yet!) as well as tarot.

My thought...$18 for 15 minutes...and $25 dollars for 30 minutes.

I don't want to go to $30 because I think it scares off people.

My spouse thinks that 18 is a weird number, and I will need a hell of a lot of singles for change.

Suggestions?

Baroli

How 'bout 20 for 20 minutes, 30 for 30 minutes etc. Hubby is right 18 is a weird number ;)

Alta

I like Baroli's suggestion. You don't want to keep having to make change all day.

Little Hare

If you are having to make at least 125 just for the rent then your going to have to a) make sure you "time" your readings. And b) charge a decent amount ;) which of course is open to interpretation. I like baroli's suggestion. Also festivals I've been to have always upped the charge of readings. You don't want to sell yourself short.
Let us know how it goes

Mellaenn

Although this is about what to charge for the readings in your new venue, and my experience is one of buying some of the lovely things you have created, I want to let you know you should charge whatever the market will bear. You, my dear, are worth it!

Ever since I was lucky enough to buy a set of crowstones from you, and my lovely Chrona Tarot set, etc. - I have had the impulse to tell you that you could charge more for these things than you do. I think maybe you are such a nice lady that you feel to charge more would be somehow not a nice thing to do! (Easy to say now that I already bought mine!) :)

PS - I'm with the "Keep it an even number" school of thought for what to charge, too. They'll be lined up, I'm sure, and you won't have time to deal with petty cash.

Shade

I would suggest something in the $2 a minute range, maybe have a price break for the longer reading so $30 for 15 minutes and $50 for 30 minutes. You might want to call them something other than their time slots. The people putting on the Ren faire itself will have an idea as to what people charge.

At that pricing you will need to perform 4ish of the short readings before you start to make any money (about an hour). At $25 per 30 minute reading you have to work two and a half hours before you start to make any money.

Annabelle

Don't the lines get kind of long at those things sometimes? I know at the Texas Ren Fest I've wanted to get a reading a few times, but was put off by just how many people were waiting in front me. I didn't want to have to schedule something for later or have to spend an hour waiting around.

In other words -- are 30 minute readings even worth it in that kind of venue? Especially given that most people are there with their families or their drunk buddies who won't necessarily want to wait around for long.

I'd do $20 for a 15 minute reading.

But what do I know about any of this -- I've never done a professional gig. Just tossing out my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Little Hare

Mellaenn said:
I want to let you know you should charge whatever the market will bear. You, my dear, are worth it!

Ever since I was lucky enough to buy a set of crowstones from you, and my lovely Chrona Tarot set, etc. - I have had the impulse to tell you that you could charge more for these things than you do. I think maybe you are such a nice lady that you feel to charge more would be somehow not a nice thing to do! (Easy to say now that I already bought mine!) :)

I'm with you here! I think chronata sells her self short... If i came to visit you i'd expect to pay at least $40 for a reading from you? Why? because i know your damn good!

Aulruna

I have done ren faires, and I think Annabelle is pretty much spot on ... not only may people be scared off by a long waiting time, they also don't want to miss big chunks of the program. I've always kept it to 15 minutes, and $20 is a good price for that.

And as you are the professional dreamer ... think up some cool names for spreads! People like to stay in the mood at ren faires.

franniee

Chronata said:
My thought...$18 for 15 minutes...and $25 dollars for 30 minutes.

I don't want to go to $30 because I think it scares off people.

My spouse thinks that 18 is a weird number, and I will need a hell of a lot of singles for change.

Suggestions?

I think 18 is an odd number too.... How about $20 for 15 minutes and leave it like that.