My Cat Likes to Lick Tarot Cards...

WanderingPersona

Is it okay or unhealthy? I figure that the lamination might have some chemicals that are bad for him but I don't know for sure. I just try to keep them away so he can't lick them for now. Please give me some advice! Should he keep trying to bless my cards or should I keep them out of reach?

firewatertiger86

hahaha my cat does the same sort of thing and she's as healthy as ever she hasnt fallen ill from it or anything. Honestly I wouldnt worry too much but if your cat does get sick take it to the vet.

Chronata

That's gotta be one of the strangest tarot related questions I have ever seen!

I have known dogs and toddlers who between them chewed an entire deck, and they were fine after, so I wouldn't worry too much!

Tarot Orat

My parents have a cat who likes to like the coating off of photographs and she's still doing fine at the grand old age of 17! Considering how many chemicals are used in photo processing, I think that if a cat can handle licking those then the cards won't be a problem.

It might be taking the lamination off the decks, though, and the cards might start sticking together or be more easily damaged. My parents' cat will hunt down photo envelopes and deliberately dump them on the floor - if your cat starts doing that w/ decks, it's time to store them in a closed cabinet :)

WanderingPersona

Haha. I always ask weird questions. I was wondering because I didn't know if any of the preparation processes were different. My cat likes to lick photos and glitter fiber pouches too. He's a sturdy guy but you can never be too careful. I work with lots of art mediums and varnishes are very carcinogenic so I was wondering if there was anything to worry about.

Thanks everyone! Of course, if there are any fun stories about our little kitties being devious with our cards hopefully they'll find their way here. ~<3

The other day my little one laid on top of my reading so I figured maybe it wasn't one I should take seriously...Or at least not as seriously as him. :p

Briar Rose

my cats doesn't lick the cards, but he likes to lick on nail polish(on my fingers), another smooth surface, and also plasic ziplock bags. He loves to lick those. I always stop him.

I know that there was a scare about plastic containers holding our food and water, giving off something that could potentially make us ill. I know there is a thread on that somewhere here. The lamination on cards is a chemical. I just look at it this way, my pets are like my kids and I didn't let them like my cards.

Just don't let him lick your decks because it looks cute. Thank goodness you care and noticed it! Blessings.

Morwenna

I have a cat who has been licking plastic for almost his entire life and he's 10 now, and except for the urinary crystals he had a few years ago (totally unrelated to plastic!) he's as healthy as can be. So I wouldn't worry about your cat.

I would worry about your decks, however. No telling how much protective coating, never mind how much ink, might come off (depends on the lamination, of course).

rainkins

I agree -- probably not unhealthy for the kitty, but definitely unhealthy for the cards! I suggest you protect both by storing your cards out of reach of curious (and rough!) feline tongues.

SarahRacheal

'Bella doesn't lick my cards, she does however sit on them when I'm trying to read - like she's saying thats enough, pay me some attention now!