PDA

View Full Version : Do you grow your own Herbs?

Ramona
15-05-2010, 00:43
And, if so, what do you use them for, besides the usual culinary purposes?

Do you use them for magick? If so, which ones work best for you?

Do you use them for divination? How?

If you grow your own herbs, do you make your own remedies such as teas, tinctures, healing packs, etc.?

It would be interesting to see how many of us do this. I use herbs for medicines and I'd like to start using them with magick as well. I know there are books on the subject and I have a couple, but I'd like to hear from you, a forum member here on AT, on what you think.

Isn't Spring the right time to start thinking about growing herbs, anyway?

Happy Herbing!
Ramona

franniee
16-05-2010, 08:56
Hi Ramona,

Welcome to AT! I just started growing things. I have always had a vegetable garden but this year I read up on a lot of plants and herbs and have expanded my plantings.

I have many herbs in pots. Most of the herbs are common ones - basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, dill, & mint. I use them in cooking! :D I also plant a lot of lavender. I love it so it is a staple around my home. I use it in the bath or as sachets. I planted rosemary in the ground as well and rose bushes and marigolds. I mailed away for white sage, fenugreek, rue, vervain and Angelica and planted them. The rue is on my back patio where I hear it will chase away bugs! Fine by me! :) Our mosquitos are huge this year!

When I considered my gardens I knew I wanted a healing garden, plants for protection and a garden to attract health, wealth and overall abundance.

As for using them..... I've done a few things. I am just beginning. I think I would like to make my own candles with my herbs and my own soap with my herbs.... I have a friend who promised to teach me what he knows.

I haven't done the backyard yet. I wanted an herb garden with a water structure - we have a bunch of things to do and I am not sure we are going to get to that but I hope we will one of these days.

I would like to plant some chamomile and lemon balm. I haven't used them for divination but I would love to learn how.

I read pure magic by judika illes - she is wonderful and that gave me a start. I delved into more books and compiled a list of things I wanted and knew I needed. I would start with one of Judika's books. There are also the herbal almanacs.

What have you done? I would be interested in hearing. :)

:heart:
f

celticnoodle
16-05-2010, 10:40
Yes, i do grow some of our own herbs. rosemary, basil, lavender, thyme, cilantro, dill, oregano, sage, aloe and others.

And, if so, what do you use them for, besides the usual culinary purposes? pretty much, I use the rosemary, basil and sage the most. though I keep aloe on hand for emergencies--burns and such. I've thought about using my fresh aloe to make a skin cream, but so far I just buy that. most of these herbs are used in cooking. i keep my rosemary and basil all year round, and tried to do the same with the sage, but it didn't do too well over the winter. I may or may not try that again this coming winter.

Do you use them for magick? If so, which ones work best for you? I was using the sage as a cleansing tool, but burning sage smells too much like pot--so I have given up on that! lol! :D strictly for cooking now. that's it! I do dry it too.

Do you use them for divination? How? well, as noted--the sage could be used to cleanse an area.

If you grow your own herbs, do you make your own remedies such as teas, tinctures, healing packs, etc.? this year, I plan to grow chamomile. I LOVE chamomile tea. we have grown other herbs that we also used for drinks. I cannot really recall all of them, but one of course was mint. and I think we had a lemon mint too. smelled great! when we had cut up stinky veggies, (garlic or onions), we'd always go out to the garden and rub our hands gently on the leaves of this lemon plant and it would rub away the bad smell, replaced by the nice fresh lemon smell. :)

It would be interesting to see how many of us do this. I use herbs for medicines and I'd like to start using them with magick as well. I know there are books on the subject and I have a couple, but I'd like to hear from you, a forum member here on AT, on what you think.

Isn't Spring the right time to start thinking about growing herbs, anyway?

Happy Herbing!
Ramona
I'm more interested in cooking with them. sorry, can't really help you with magic potions with them. medicinally too, we use them somewhat. good luck in your search! :)

greatdane
17-05-2010, 11:05
I live in the desert and don't have a green thumb anyway. Would like to try to do a little windowsill box or boxes with one or two though. I LOVE fresh dill!

GD

HearthCricket
17-05-2010, 12:53
My herb gardens are always changing, depending on what grows well and what I am using them for each year. Inside I have basil, rosemary, mint, lavender, thyme. These are used mostly for cooking and for drying for potpourri or healing sachets. Outside I have a short season, living in New England. Catmint, lavender, thyme, bee balm, mallow, sage, etc. I do not make them for teas because I am not skilled at present to know how much or little to use as to not make it toxic. Herbs can be very tricky. The herbs also keep some of the deer and rabbits away from my garden and attract hummingbirds. :)

Dryw
17-05-2010, 18:22
I grow a few herbs: marjoram, basil, spearmint, kalendula, rue, aloe and I do use them in magic or for teas. I have several books, e-books and notes from my grandma regarding their use and dosage. Herbs can be dangerous if you don't know how to use them or can be harmful if you have a certain medical condition. I also like to gather herbs on the countryside and we have lots of them here in the Mediterranean.

Disa
17-05-2010, 19:43
I've just started growing herbs this spring so it's all new to me. I've planted Rosemary, Lavender, Pineapple sage in the ground and mint in a pot.

I dried a sprig of lavender and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I have a few of the pineapple sage leaves drying now. I'm curious to see if they make a nice scent when I burn them. I've only used the pineapple sage in my iced tea and my daughter eats the leaves right off the plant.

I don't cook much so maybe this will be the catalyst to have me trying to cook a little more often- ;)

I started small just to see if I could actually get anything to grow- I'm not very good at maintaining things once they're planted, but so far so good- everything is coming along nicely.

I didn't think about ordering white sage to plant and I'll have to do that as we do use it quite a bit. For some reason I didn't think it would grow here-my husband is happy to burn it outside in the firepit...

I look forward to reading more about what uses others have for their herbs.

Dryw
17-05-2010, 19:56
Before you start burning any herbs, make sure that they are not toxic if inhaled. Some of them may cause various reactions. We all know what "weed" does A good book about herbs can be very helpful!

BodhiSeed
17-05-2010, 20:55
A good book about herbs can be very helpful!
From an older thread:
Well my herbal book collection is rather dated*, but my favorites (couldn't pick just one!) are:

The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Pharmacy-Herbal-Handbook-Reference/dp/0312981511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269301289&sr=1-1

Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
http://www.amazon.com/Rodales-Illustrated-Encyclopedia-Claire-Kowalchik/dp/087596964X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269301362&sr=1-1

Growing 101 Herbs that Heal
http://www.amazon.com/Growing-101-Herbs-that-Heal/dp/1580172156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269301418&sr=1-1

Holistic Herbal
http://www.amazon.com/Holistic-Herbal-4th-Practical-Remedies/dp/0007145411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269301470&sr=1-1

And just for the pure pleasure of the pictures:D (rather than remedies):
The Herbalist's Garden
http://www.amazon.com/Herbalists-Garden-Exceptional-Gardens-Inspire/dp/1580174108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269301552&sr=1-1

*The links are for the updated versions of the books in some cases.

HearthCricket
17-05-2010, 22:22
Yes, be very careful about burning herbs. They also contain a lot of oils in them which can be harmful to your eyes.

celticnoodle
18-05-2010, 07:02
I live in the desert and don't have a green thumb anyway. Would like to try to do a little windowsill box or boxes with one or two though. I LOVE fresh dill!

GD
that is the one herb i cannot stand! :P but the hubby and the kid like it. so hubby always grows it. :rolleyes: it's easy to grow, and tho i don't pay much attn to that herb, it seems to always do very well. :rolleyes:

Ramona
18-05-2010, 08:07
Wow - you have all been so helpful with your suggestions, thank you so much... even with the culinary herbs, as I am quite passionate at using a blend of "Italian" herbs in my sauces and salads.

The reason I asked about herbs used in Magick was to help me get started. My training and knowledge of herbs as healing plants spans many decades, but I haven't explored them for their magical or spiritual properties. I can look it up in books, it's true, but having someone who has actually grown and used them share their experience is so much better than any one-dimension list I can just read in a book.

This year I have hesitated in growing my herbs, as we are on our new piece of land. The forest is directly behind us, a Maple grove with some Balsam Fir and a tiny stand of three Ash trees, butting up against, 2 acres away, to a Coniferous forest. So we are 'protected' in the North with this great forest, but very open to the South, but only with dry, rocky soil. The forest soil is thin, of course and it's so shady that it will be hard to grow most herbs. The dry soil in front of the house will have to be amended greatly before any garden bed can thrive there.

So - for this year I think I will grow my herbs in pots. I have some nice containers that I can stack here and there. I have lots of room! So space is not the problem. Water is also not an issue as we have our own Spring from which we can draw all the water we need.

As for what I have... I had many perennials last year that were still in pots come Autumn, so I did something no one around here had ever done, and they thought me crazy for doing it. I brought all the pots together in one low spot in the forest near our berm/pad (on which we have our mini-home) and I covered them all with a thick layer of straw. They wintered very well, I am happy to say, and about 75% survived, if not more.

I have Garden Sage, Lady's Mantle, Oregano, Thyme, Mugwort, Self-Heal, Evening Primrose, Clover, Balsam Poplar, Birch, Willow, Sweet Fern, and small fruits such as Blackberry, Blueberry, Strawberry, and Currants. I use all for either medicine or food, except for the Lady's Mantle. I just love her unconditionally. :)

As was mentioned previously, yes it can be dangerous to burn herbs unless you know which ones are toxic, and which ones are not. I make smudge sticks from Mugwort, but only use it in the open air, and try not to inhale the smoke except to take a ceremonial whiff. Mugwort helps bring on insightful dreams. I also keep a wreath of it nearby when I do my Tarot readings, as it helps me by clarifying my thoughts.

I am so glad to have found a community of like minds where I can share my interests.

Warm thanks, everyone
Ramona

celticnoodle
18-05-2010, 09:56
never heard of self heal. what does this look like and what do you use this for? is it good for cooking? it does sound like a healing plant, by its name--what healing properties does it have? easy to grow? in a pot?

Ramona
18-05-2010, 10:53
Hi, CelticNoodle ~
The Self-Heal plant, or Heal-All, is just that, a very versatile "weed" that grows on most lawns, and especially in the shade. Its scientific name is "Prunella vulgaris," so maybe you've heard of it by that name? It belongs to the Mint family, so it has many of its general properties.

Uses: May be added to salads, teas, and cooking, such as adding to pancake or cookie dough. The leaves have a coarse texture, so it would be best to cut them up real fine.
As an anti-fungal or an anti-itch medicine, just squeeze juice of plant onto affected area and rub in. Will help heal cold sores, rashes, and bruises; apply as compress on the last two.

Healing Properties: Contains a high concentration of Rosmarinic Acid, a very helpful chemical that has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, to name just a few. Used as a daily tonic by the otherwise healthy individual, there are no side-effects. For those of us - me included - who suffer from a thyroid problem, and this is VERY important! Self-heal contains anti-thyroid properties as well, just like its relative Lemon Balm, Basil, Oregano, mints, etc. That means that it will affect your thyroid meds in a negative way if you take TOO MUCH of it - an occasional tea or a few leaves in cooking will not have much of an effect - but it's a warning to be weary of.

I use Self-Heal as a tincture (Herb parts, water and brandy) and this is my description of it for the rest of its properties:

"Including Self-Heal with your cold remedies may help you get over a cold or flu much faster, and may help with sore throat, viral and bacterial infections, and Herpes flare-ups.

Two other healing functions of this potent herb include possibly reducing the pain due to inflammation, rheumatism, and CFS-Fibromyalgia, and reducing hemorrhaging and heavy bleeding during periods. It is also a uterotonic. Its strengthening ability with capillaries indicate it to be potentially useful for varicose veins, bruises and while undergoing overall healing during convalescence. Also contains Anti-Allergy, Anti-Shock and Anti-Fatigue chemical activity." Source used most for my research is Dr. Duke Phytochemical Database, available online.

I am not a doctor but as a plant scientist, I have studied herbs for their medicinal properties for over two decades, and have used them on myself very successfully. I have Fibromyalgia, CFS, many allergies, hypothyroidism, and other stuff. Not that I'm trying to elicit sympathy by listing these things, but I want to make it clear that I'm not just throwing herb names and chemicals at you without knowing what I'm talking about, because I do. I have studied herbs extensively, have taken courses, and consulted with botanists on this information.

I am passionate about herbs, and especially the ones that grow right outside our door, or in our backyards. To many people, they are called weeds, but to me they are miracle plants that Mother Earth has provided to grow alongside of us, to heal us, to help us in our daily lives.

If you want me to post photos of Self-Heal or other herbs on my page, I can do that, so you can see what I'm talking about. I also have tons of seeds of this plant, if you want some, just let me know and I'll mail some to you. As long as you are either in Canada or the US, I can do that. But not in Australia, sorry. I wish I could, but I can't - against Aus Customs very reasonable rules.

So there you go - all about Self-Heal or Heal-All. One of my favourite herbs!
Ramona

celticnoodle
18-05-2010, 11:15
sounds like the ideal herb for me and i'll be looking for it to plant and try as well! could you send me the recipes you use this miracle herb for, and how you use it for your thyroid problem, allergies, etc?

I do have thyroid problems, and taking meds for this now. so, i'll have to really be careful. i wonder if applying it to my skin would still affect me wiht the thyroid medicine, or is it only when taken orally that it can effect that?

I have allergies galore, bruise very easiy, soft bone disease, (wonder if it could help that?!) and a score of problems--arthritis, etc. I also suffer from rosacea and lately have been breaking out in terrible large itchy hives all over my face, neck and chest. this has happened 4 or 5 times in the last 2mos. :rolleyes: we cannot (doc & I) figure out if it is food allergies or what, as I keep a food diary and will try a suspect again only to have no problem at all. very frustrating! i wonder if this would be a good topical aid for that? I do have a prescription gel for it now, but it's expensive and I also have to carry Benadryl with me everywhere for this--which I don't really like to take.

anyway, thank you for the info and the site for me to check out online. i will do that! i'm v ery interested in finding out more on this incredibly sounding herb.

:)

Dancing Bear
18-05-2010, 20:01
I have only just got a garden to plant anything in. we been here for 6 months. and already Db's Garden grows. :D I love gardening and the pleasure i get from watching it grow and bare fruits..It is exciting to use tomatoes you have grwon yourself. lettuce, onions etc,,and all the herbs for cooking and smells in the house.. it so nice to have basket of freshly picked herbs on your kitchen bench.. nothing beats it. It makes our home a home.

I am yet to cultivate for tea.. or use any of it for medicinal purposes as they have all only just been planted.
But i surely intend for them to be used.

I have aloe vera which is an older plant and has been used many times. it is in an old terracotta pot I cant remember how long we have had it..
I have echinacea which when it flowers ,the flower semi dried & infused as a tea is great for reducing any flu or cold symptom.
I have Basil which is going spastic, it is used most in my house, we use it in cooking and used to make dips and also as an airfreshner.. by placing the flower heads in a shallow pan of water and gently simmer, basil juice from this exercise is also great in your bath water, and excellent for headaches and stress. lemon peel and orange peel also gently simmered is a great house freshner as well both combined an excellent pick me up.. especially if you feel lethargic and heavy.
We have Lemon Basil which is also used in the pot for a house freshner and a pick me up, and also used in cooking.
Once a week i go out and cut off all the flower heads of both basil bushes, and these heads sit in a lovely basket on a bench top in my kitchen the aroma of both is absolutely divine.. just before the heads wither is when i plonk them in a pot. and then go cut the next lot off..
we also have fennel, if you love licorice this is a beautiful plant for cooking with fish or again as a air freshener. I use the leaves, and the heart at the base i allow to reproduce suckers for the plant to reproduce, so i have a never ending supply, once I have at least 5 plants from the one then i start taking the hearts and using them in cooking. I am going to experiment and try making my own licorice by using fennel and see how it goes.
We have sage for smudging, i dont use sage for cooking as we dont like the taste LOL!!
I have Thai mint, absolutely so much better tasting than corriander (it is like a strong corriander taste, but more distinct, as in corriander tends to blend with the ingredients giving a hint.. whereas Thai mint stands on its own) and much easier to grow in the tropics, so fantastic for stir frys... it again is good infuser.
I have chocolate mint absolutely divine finely chopped add some crushed nuts with icecream.HMM MMM!!
We have been able to grow rosemary which we are absolutely stoked about , because rosemary doesnt normally grow well up here..
same goes for lavender.. I would love to find a species that likes the tropical weather.
we have chammomile happily growing..I didnt think it would but woohoo it is going well so far, too small to cultivate yet..I think i will let this one seed so I can grow more.

I am sure i have forgotten a couple as i have them poked all over the place in my garden..

I have got into growing miniature tropical fruit tress as well, not only for the fruit but for the essential oils in the leaves and skin, to use for healing, and pick me ups oh and of course infusers..and of course as many veges that will grow here too, I have over a dozen different veges and salad plants growing already. For my birthday i have put in an order for a minature green house :D
for seedlings.. Guess what i got for mothers day ;) Plants!!! edible and ornamental.

Next on my list is to find all the ingredients for chai tea and try growing the ingredients.. I dont know whether Black tea is illegal to grow. as i have been told coffee is, I will be checking up on our local laws to make sure.. as i use to grow the illegal poppies at one stage for their seeds to sprinkle on my home made bread, I had no idea they were illegal LOL!! why would they be if you can buy them in the shops, was my logical argument as i thought LOL!! .. I just grew them from the seeds i bought.
apparently you can buy them, but you cant grow them :bugeyed:

But i would love to grow some tea and coffee beans.. I dont drink much coffee anymore preferring tea these days. But my own home grown ground coffee would certainly make my house smell yummy and the taste i would hope would be nice and smooth., If i grow my own especially coffee and tea, i would know for sure no slave labour was involved in picking it and of course no chemicals were used.
same with cocoa..Child trafficking is involved and slave labour for cocoa beans.. it is such as shame as we all love chocolate, but since we saw a program we wont buy it now unless it holds a fair trade sticker. and they are very scarce. My chocolate mint does fill our choccy craving. :D

chillis and peppers are also next on my list, not only for medicinal but also cooking.

My garden is only small but i intend to cram it with anything i can use for medicine, or cooking or just pure yum factor like fruits and nuts..
I use my front yard for ornamentals the back is used for edibles :D
But i am sure once we get fully going the edibles will creep in on the ornamentals LOL!!

Dancing Bear
18-05-2010, 20:18
That self heal plant sounds wonderful Ramona.
I am in Australia. would you know If it grows over here? I live in the tropis does it grow ok in the tropics?
I will try to google an australian herbal website and see if i can get it from them.. It sounds absoutely wonderful.. I have a girlfriend who would benefit from it , she suffers badly from varicose veins.
How would it be used , would you make an ointment or would it be taken internally?

I have been on the hunt since posting in this thread for the seeds i need.
I have enquired about the prunella vulgaris you mentioned and also i found out the tea that grows well here is the camellia sinensis tea plant.
so i am hopefully going to be pointed into the right direction by someone up here that specialised in cultivating seeds.. If i was in a large city it would be easy to get both .. rural is not always a good thing LOL!

thanks for the info on the self heal plant :)

celticnoodle
18-05-2010, 23:10
wow DB! you have quite a gardnen going there. :D

yes, i also like to gently simmer lemons or oranges, and you know, it is very healthy to drink lemon water rather then plain ol' water from the tap. not to mention much tastier too! :D

never thought about simmering hte basil leaves, we eat them nearly every day--its wonderful in salads, esp. with fresh tomatoes, a little bit of soft mozzarella and then drizzle with some basalmic vinegar--mmmmm good! try it.

you don't like the taste of sage???!! :bugeyed: OMG! I absolutely love that herb! its a staple in our home. :laugh:

the rosemary plants too, yes, you're going to really like them! they are also good to cook with dried. our basil and rosemary are nearly small bushes and interestingly enough in VT, (a very cold place ot live w/a very short growing season) we had HUGE bushes of both due to it's warm location - planted near a slate rock wall we had. just plenty of water for them, as they do not like to get too dry, and being where you are might be the biggest problem for you.

i LOVE this thread and enjoy reading everyone's posts.

Sophie
18-05-2010, 23:53
Hi Ramona :)

Their use in magick is closely related to their medicinal properties. So sage, for instance, is a purifier: that is why it is also a good magical cleanser when burnt and smudged around a place. Oregano is used to treat "female problems" and UTI, and so is thought of as a herb of Venus, useful in romantic love and sex magick.

You know plants well by the sounds of it, but a good folk herbal will supplement your scientific training with ancient folk knowledge. My favourite is good old Culpepper, because he also gives all the planetary associations (make sure you get the original text, not the one revised in the 19th century). It's also worth getting to know the folk knowledge about local herbs where you live, both from Native and European sources. Much that was once known has been lost, but not all.

A very good way to get to know the magickal properties of plants is to get to know your plant spirits. Plants are living beings, and have spirits just as we do. They are not human, they are not anthropomorphic, but they are spirits all the same. Meditation in front of or holding a specific herb and shamanic trance can really get you to know your plants. I also use rattling over a plant, in semi-trance, to feel where my rattle is drawn to, in order to select a specific herb. I also have a Bee guide - who helps me select the herbs and other plants I need.

Astrological associations with plants are very helpful too, and they are blessed by long use. Make sure you get them from a reliable source - Culpepper is the best, though he's missing some herbs that we use today, so you'll have to supplement. But his knowledge was encyclopedic, and he actually was also an astrologer as well as a physician and apothecary, so he knew his stuff.

Magickally, you can use herbs in amulets, in the making of incense and oils, or as offerings. You can also use them in magickal cooking (basically the same as mundane cooking, only you make a spell out of a dish). You can use them in ritual.

Remember that, because they are alive, you must treat them with the utmost respect. Love them, plant them at the right time (when the moon is waxing), speak to them, sing to them. Get to know their spirits. Harvest them with respect too, don't just hack away. Ask for permission and if you feel resistance, don't force it. Traditionally you never use iron to harvest a magickal herb - so knives and scissors are out unless they are made of bronze or copper (and there, make sure there's no iron), or of ceramic or wood. Iron is inimical to plant spirits and injures the physical plant.

Traditionally, too, once you have harvested a herb for magick, you don't touch it with your bare hands: that is because you don't want to transfer your energy to the delicate herb and interfere with its subtle energy. Hold it in a clean cloth you use solely for that (I have actually dedicated a pair of cloth gardening gloves to this sole use).

Herb magick is one of the most beautiful forms of magick, and there is no end of exploration for you. Its cross-over with medicine and cooking is fascinating. And once you start getting to know plant spirits - you will fall in love with them :-) (yes, even the tough purgatives!)

What I write about herbal spirits and harvesting goes for wild herbs as well, of course.

Ramona
19-05-2010, 01:41
That self heal plant sounds wonderful Ramona.
I am in Australia. would you know If it grows over here? I live in the tropis does it grow ok in the tropics?
I will try to google an australian herbal website and see if i can get it from them.. It sounds absoutely wonderful.. I have a girlfriend who would benefit from it , she suffers badly from varicose veins.
How would it be used , would you make an ointment or would it be taken internally?

I have been on the hunt since posting in this thread for the seeds i need.
I have enquired about the prunella vulgaris you mentioned and also i found out the tea that grows well here is the camellia sinensis tea plant.
so i am hopefully going to be pointed into the right direction by someone up here that specialised in cultivating seeds.. If i was in a large city it would be easy to get both .. rural is not always a good thing LOL!

thanks for the info on the self heal plant :)

Hi DancingBear ~
Yes, Self-Heal is definitely in Australia. I found it when we lived near Kyogle, NSW, and a few places after that. Its preferred habitat is pastures - paddocks - that are moist, so near a dam or pond, that sort of thing, and definitely disturbed ground. Send me a private message and I'll see what I can do to get you some seeds from some friends I know who live in Aus, ok?
Not only does it grow in your country, it THRIVES! lol It spreads well in a suitable habitat, i.e., enough moisture, light, etc. but, as mentioned before, it needs some shade, so trying to grow it in bright sun would cause some problems.

For varicose veins, I would use it both ways, both topically applied as a poultice on the skin, and taken as a tincture internally. I can also tell you how to do that via pm, if you like?

The Camilla sinensis is THE tea plant, from which all black and white teas originate. Its antioxidant powers are fabulous, of course, and being able to get a plant and grow it is a privilege, believe me. I worked in a plant nursery when I was there and it is not something that is widely available, so when we did get some tea plants in, they were snapped up quickly.

There is a seed supplier that I dealt with when I lived there, and you could see her website to check out for Self-Heal seeds, let me find that out for you and I'll get back to you on it. I've always had the easiest luck in finding the plant in the wilds, that's why I never checked to buy the seeds for myself. Once the plant grows, by the way, it just produced a vast amount of seeds, so you will never need anymore after that initial plant flowers and goes to seed. It also reproduces by stolons, like strawberry, and forms a carpet of purple flowers. It's truly lovely.

Talk to you in PM
Cheers
Ramona

Ramona
19-05-2010, 01:47
sounds like the ideal herb for me and i'll be looking for it to plant and try as well! could you send me the recipes you use this miracle herb for, and how you use it for your thyroid problem, allergies, etc?

I do have thyroid problems, and taking meds for this now. so, i'll have to really be careful. i wonder if applying it to my skin would still affect me wiht the thyroid medicine, or is it only when taken orally that it can effect that?

I have allergies galore, bruise very easiy, soft bone disease, (wonder if it could help that?!) and a score of problems--arthritis, etc. I also suffer from rosacea and lately have been breaking out in terrible large itchy hives all over my face, neck and chest. this has happened 4 or 5 times in the last 2mos. :rolleyes: we cannot (doc & I) figure out if it is food allergies or what, as I keep a food diary and will try a suspect again only to have no problem at all. very frustrating! i wonder if this would be a good topical aid for that? I do have a prescription gel for it now, but it's expensive and I also have to carry Benadryl with me everywhere for this--which I don't really like to take.

anyway, thank you for the info and the site for me to check out online. i will do that! i'm v ery interested in finding out more on this incredibly sounding herb.

Hi CN ~
Wow, you do have a slew of problems! I have to do stuff right now but I am making a copy of this post and I will look into this for you. The Self-Heal plant would certainly help with many of your ills, I think, but I want to check and double-check to make sure, and perhaps find some uses to help you out, ok?
Be back soon!
Ramona

Dancing Bear
19-05-2010, 17:06
wow DB! you have quite a gardnen going there. :D we are getting there! I actually ordered 10 camellia sinensis seeds today , Yay!! I ordered 10 because apparently they are hard to grow from seed, with a high strike rate of infertile seeds, Bugger!! My birthday is not coming around quick enough LOL!! ( I have put in a order for a green house LOL)

yes, i also like to gently simmer lemons or oranges, and you know, it is very healthy to drink lemon water rather then plain ol' water from the tap. not to mention much tastier too! :D
I would never have thought about drinking it Cn, I will save it next time..
I actually bought a steamer today. I am going to use this next time and see how it goes.. if it doesnt work on my herbs i am sure i can use for veges :)

never thought about simmering hte basil leaves, we eat them nearly every day--its wonderful in salads, esp. with fresh tomatoes, a little bit of soft mozzarella and then drizzle with some basalmic vinegar--mmmmm good! try it. Ye sCn basil is very well used in our home too. Yes Yummm!! Love that recipe try it next time on toasted bread rolls :D If you havent already it is also yum!!

you don't like the taste of sage???!! :bugeyed: OMG! I absolutely love that herb! its a staple in our home. :laugh: LOl!! No for some reason the entire fmily are not keen on cooking with it.. But i do grow it for smudging. LOL!!

the rosemary plants too, yes, you're going to really like them! they are also good to cook with dried. our basil and rosemary are nearly small bushes and interestingly enough in VT, (a very cold place ot live w/a very short growing season) we had HUGE bushes of both due to it's warm location - planted near a slate rock wall we had. just plenty of water for them, as they do not like to get too dry, and being where you are might be the biggest problem for you. Yes we love using rosemary i use so much , I decided to grow it aswell LOL!! I actually toast up some lebanese bread, drizzle oil over it craked sea salt, and fresh rosemary. then as a side dip I mix olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, (white or red) Your choice, and a small amount of garlic.. Break of your crisp lebanese bread and get dunking, You may have tried this before, it is an absolute favourite in this house. LOL!! great for lounging around watchign TV and dunking LOL!

I live in the tropics CN we get plenty of rain up here.. it is down south, that get hardly any.. we rarely stop raining lately. which i am not complaining my garden grows beautiful with warm days, and drizzly nights. Like living in a hot house really LOL!!

i LOVE this thread and enjoy reading everyone's posts.same CN , I love my garden (now i have one) LOL!! and I am passionate about trying to grow from seed, I think it is important to get down on our hands and knees in the garden and get grubby LOL!! very grounding.
I am becoming an enthusiast really. I am not by all means knowledable about much to do with gardening , I didnt even know what a passionfruit vine looked like until a week ago LOL!! But i dont think i am doing bad at all..My plants are thriving :D

Dancing Bear
19-05-2010, 18:59
Hi DancingBear ~
Yes, Self-Heal is definitely in Australia. I found it when we lived near Kyogle, NSW, and a few places after that. Its preferred habitat is pastures - paddocks - that are moist, so near a dam or pond, that sort of thing, and definitely disturbed ground. Send me a private message and I'll see what I can do to get you some seeds from some friends I know who live in Aus, ok?
Not only does it grow in your country, it THRIVES! lol It spreads well in a suitable habitat, i.e., enough moisture, light, etc. but, as mentioned before, it needs some shade, so trying to grow it in bright sun would cause some problems.

For varicose veins, I would use it both ways, both topically applied as a poultice on the skin, and taken as a tincture internally. I can also tell you how to do that via pm, if you like?

The Camilla sinensis is THE tea plant, from which all black and white teas originate. Its antioxidant powers are fabulous, of course, and being able to get a plant and grow it is a privilege, believe me. I worked in a plant nursery when I was there and it is not something that is widely available, so when we did get some tea plants in, they were snapped up quickly.

There is a seed supplier that I dealt with when I lived there, and you could see her website to check out for Self-Heal seeds, let me find that out for you and I'll get back to you on it. I've always had the easiest luck in finding the plant in the wilds, that's why I never checked to buy the seeds for myself. Once the plant grows, by the way, it just produced a vast amount of seeds, so you will never need anymore after that initial plant flowers and goes to seed. It also reproduces by stolons, like strawberry, and forms a carpet of purple flowers. It's truly lovely.

Talk to you in PM
Cheers
Ramona

Cool stuff i have researched it and found it here.. I am on the search for some seeds , so i will definately pm you..
I did find a supplier of the Tea bush.. i have ordered 10 seeds.. we have the Nerada organic tea company up here so our climate is perfect for it..
I dont know how i will go growing from seed as it is not easy apparently.
I have all the info on how to cultivate it for use, so i am going to be watching eagerly as it grows LOL!
I will om you re: the self heal plant..

Do you know also of a herb that is good for dramatic hormone induced moods swings? ont he verge od depression really 2weeks out of 4 .. which is a real bummer.. I at the moment am using rescue remedie , but it doesnt seem to work on the real bad times.
I think i heard of one that starts with G, cant remember the name. would it grow easily in the tropics because it is apparently a chinese herb.

I will pm you anyway..
Db xx

Ramona
20-05-2010, 04:12
Good on you, DB!
Yes, I do know of an herb for hormonal fluctuations, and it's a proven help for other things as well, but it's mainly known for PMT:

Evening Primrose Oil Capsules. 1000 mg, 10% GLA - ask at Health Food Stores.

It's the best! LOL! If I hadn't had these a few years ago when my PMT-PMS was out of control, I wouldn't be here now. I still take them...

I've PM'ed you!
Ramona

Ramona
21-05-2010, 05:05
It's so exciting to start a garden, isn't it? You have some very interesting herbs. And thanks for the suggestion that I read Judika Illes. She has some very interesting books! I am thrilled that you mentioned her. Her "Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells" looks fascinating!

If you grow Lemon Balm, you are in for a very pleasant surprise. :) It is a super-herb in my opinion, not only flavourful for cooking, but also as a medicine. Not good (again) for people who have thyroid problems, but great for everyone else. Good remedy for colds, flu, infections, cold sores, open sores, bruises, anxiety, insomnia... I could go on and on. The scent is a divine lemony fragrance and because of this, makes the best tea ever. You can even use a few leaves in regular tea - or coffee - to stop bitterness. It does have some sedative chems, so beware and don't take too much before driving, etc. Along with Catnip, it's the only herb I would ever give to children, because it's so mild. Except for the thyroid thing, it has no other side-effects.

Have fun with that - oh, and it grows very well in a pot. :)

As for myself, I've just yesterday taken down my box of seeds that I've collected from last year. Sigh! I wish I could plant many, many herbs but I have no practical room to have a big garden. Nevertheless, I will endeavour to plant some in pots, as you do, and go from there.

I did, however, have fun yesterday by going over to my sister's and helping her with her cultivated garden. Right beside it is a large patch of MUGWORT! I grabbed my shovel and got me a plant and put it in a pot -mine! Then I asked it for help with my dreams, and cut off a good thirty stems to make smudging sticks with. Last night, I tied them all up and what a beauty they are! The plant will still grow - my sister leaves the 'weeds' to grow at that spot - but I will have nine beautiful sticks for my dreaming spells. How good is that! I also found some Self-Heal, White Sage and Elderberry trees so I took some great photos.

Cheers!

Hi Ramona,

Welcome to AT! I just started growing things. I have always had a vegetable garden but this year I read up on a lot of plants and herbs and have expanded my plantings.

I have many herbs in pots. Most of the herbs are common ones - basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, dill, & mint. I use them in cooking! :D I also plant a lot of lavender. I love it so it is a staple around my home. I use it in the bath or as sachets. I planted rosemary in the ground as well and rose bushes and marigolds. I mailed away for white sage, fenugreek, rue, vervain and Angelica and planted them. The rue is on my back patio where I hear it will chase away bugs! Fine by me! :) Our mosquitos are huge this year!

When I considered my gardens I knew I wanted a healing garden, plants for protection and a garden to attract health, wealth and overall abundance.

As for using them..... I've done a few things. I am just beginning. I think I would like to make my own candles with my herbs and my own soap with my herbs.... I have a friend who promised to teach me what he knows.

I haven't done the backyard yet. I wanted an herb garden with a water structure - we have a bunch of things to do and I am not sure we are going to get to that but I hope we will one of these days.

I would like to plant some chamomile and lemon balm. I haven't used them for divination but I would love to learn how.

I read pure magic by judika illes - she is wonderful and that gave me a start. I delved into more books and compiled a list of things I wanted and knew I needed. I would start with one of Judika's books. There are also the herbal almanacs.

What have you done? I would be interested in hearing. :)

:heart:
f

Ramona
21-05-2010, 05:06
Ok, Celticnoodle and Dancing Bear, you both have PMs waiting for you.

The research I did for you was long and had a lot of herbs listed, so I thought it wise to send all this by PM. If someone else wants to know about Self-Heal, varicose veins, or the conditions that CN addressed, feel free to PM me to get some info, too.

When I first started this thread, I got behind on answering everyone, so I'll try to catch up with that, now.

Thanks to everyone who posted here in this thread; it's been so much fun!

celticnoodle
21-05-2010, 07:55
:) ramona, that was very nice of you to share your knowledge with me and I so appreciate it! heart felt thank yous!

merissa_88
22-05-2010, 15:58
I only grow catnip because I killed my rosemary by allowing it to get too much sun. I'm gonna try again with basil. Maybe I will grow rosemary next winter. I'm growing these plants indoors in Florida so I have to move them out of the sunlight sometimes.

I do divination with dried herbs but I haven't used any that I have grown yet. Thanks for the great thread! Peace, Merissa

celticnoodle
22-05-2010, 22:00
our neighbors at our last home use to grow catnip outdoors and all the neighborhood cats would always be rolling around in their backyard. :P we use to always laugh about that, and say it was the local bar for the cats. lol. :D

Ramona
23-05-2010, 22:12
It's funny how catnip is a euphoric agent for cats, but for us humans, it's a sedative! It's a great anti-depressant, too, and helps you sleep like a baby.

If I were to use it for spiritual-magickal purposes, would it be for gaining calmness, then? Sounds right...?

Sophie
24-05-2010, 01:56
If I were to use it for spiritual-magickal purposes, would it be for gaining calmness, then? Sounds right...?Traditionally, catnip is used for attracting a mate. It's a well-known ingredient in hoodoo love mojo bags and in European folk magic amulets or potions designed for that end. Of course, the calming effect is helpful in that too, as no-one can be at their seductive best when they are a nervous wreck!

The reason for that is by sympathy with the cat (a form of magic called sympathetic magic, which is the basis for most folk/herbal magick): seeing how crazy cats go around catnip, unable to leave it alone - that is the effect projected onto the person whose attentions are desired!

Ramona
24-05-2010, 03:59
Ah, Thank you so much, Fudugazi, for this informative post. It does make sense, looking at it that way. I use it only occasionally as a medicine - calms the tummy nerves, too, :) but can't use it anymore in a tincture as it contradicts my thyroid gland. I have a wonderful wildman as a mate, so I wouldn't use it for that, either. I love its smell, though!

And, I wish here to give my heartfelt thanks to you for your thoughtful post earlier, and to all who've posted in this thread, giving me ideas, suggestions and lists of sites/books. You have all been welcoming, supportive and helpful.

I've found some Mugwort growing near my sister's garden, so I made some Dreaming Sticks. I'll start with that for my first magical spell. :)

Wishing all a great long weekend!

jmjamison
03-06-2010, 16:27
I have a small herb garden - so far Lavender, Rosemary, Valerian, Vervaine, Thyme, Calendula and Sage. I'd like to add some Sweet and Lemon Basil.

Also some dye plants and vegetables though that doesn't really qualify as herb.

Disa
03-06-2010, 20:12
I bought regular sage and bee balm yesterday. Is bee balm the same thing as bergamont? Does anyone know?

Oh, I have the book of 5,000 spells. It's wonderful!

Ramona
04-06-2010, 06:24
Hi! Thanks for posting!

Quote jmjamison: "I have a small herb garden - so far Lavender, Rosemary, Valerian, Vervaine, Thyme, Calendula and Sage. I'd like to add some Sweet and Lemon Basil. Also some dye plants and vegetables though that doesn't really qualify as herb."

I do qualify dye plants as herbs because they serve a useful purpose. Plants don't have to be edible or used for magical purposes to be technically called "herbs." There is also the medicinal edge that many vegetables have, such onions and broccoli, which again could be technically classifying them as herbs. I know I do. :) In Dr. James Duke's book, Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook, he has Pinapple, Corn (silk), Buckwheat, Garlic, Ginger, Horseradish, Tomato, Pumpkin, Rhubarb, and Yucca listed as herbs. I know there is a fine line, but it's very helpful to ask, "Is this plant useful to heal as well as its normal intended use?" You have some great herbs there, jm, so enjoy!

Quote Disa: "I bought regular sage and bee balm yesterday. Is bee balm the same thing as bergamont? Does anyone know?"

Yes, I do know and your answer is yes IF the plant you bought has this scientific name attached to it, "Monarda didyma." If it's another "Monarda..." then you may have bought a garden variety.

Bee Balm has many names and one of them is bergamont. It is the herb used in flavouring Earl Grey tea, or at least that's what I read. It's also known as "Oswego Tea" as the First Nations named it.

Happy herbing!
Ramona

Disa
04-06-2010, 06:34
Thanks, Romona! It does say this on it "Oswego Tea" I'm so happy!!! I have been looking for Bergamont for years and could never find it. Now I just have to find the perfect place to plant it.

I have a question for everyone:

Have you mixed your herbs in all over your garden with other plants and vegetables? Or do you have a separate herb garden? I've sort of planted them all over the place, but a separate herb garden just for the ones we want to eat or dirink might be nice, too.

Dancing Bear
04-06-2010, 10:06
woohoo Got my tea seeds thorugh the otehr day.. cant wait to grow them ! :D

Now i need arabian coffee seeds.

BlueDragonfly
06-06-2010, 10:35
I've got some herbs tucked in with my flowers in the little garden by the porch, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, lemon thyme, sage, and basil(will be planted there).

I'll have more basil in the vegetable garden along with some dill. Rosemarys and spearmint are in pots on the back porch. I grew stevia last year, but haven't seen any starter plants this year, yet.

We're in zone 4, so garden season is just getting started here.

Sophie
06-06-2010, 22:07
Bee Balm has many names and one of them is bergamont. It is the herb used in flavouring Earl Grey tea, or at least that's what I read. It's also known as "Oswego Tea" as the First Nations named it. Bee Balm (monarda didyma or monarda fistulosa) is also known as bergamot (without the n). It's a different plant from that used to perfume Earl Grey -that's a citrus fruit (citrus aurantia bergamia). Bee Balm bergamot belongs to the mint family and has more of the healing and magickal characteristics of mint. Which is the one used by First Nations?

sagewriter
17-06-2010, 03:26
When I lived in a flat I didn't have a garden so bought a window box and tied it to the railings outside my living room window. In it I grew golden thyme, parsley, oregano, lavendar, mint, sage. Now I have my own garden and my herbs are flourishing! They are still in their window box but I will transfer them into a trough soon (with the exception of the thyme, I think it needs it's own pot). My garden is currently paved so all my plants are in pots. I have various ferns, a red currant plant, japanese maple and some strawberry plants. I've got a second pot of lavendar because I love it so much! Inside I have a young chili plant and some basil and parsley that I grew from seeds. I use my herbs in the kitchen and have just started to make pot pouri as well :) I want to buy so many more plants. Especially lemon balm, my mum always grew that and I loved the smell.

Ramona
20-06-2010, 08:14
Bee Balm (monarda didyma or monarda fistulosa) is also known as bergamot (without the n). It's a different plant from that used to perfume Earl Grey -that's a citrus fruit (citrus aurantia bergamia). Bee Balm bergamot belongs to the mint family and has more of the healing and magickal characteristics of mint. Which is the one used by First Nations?

Hi Sophie ~
Sorry I've been absent for awhile - other priorities.
You are absolutely correct! I checked on the contents of Earl Grey after I had said that here, and I thought to come back and correct it, but I never did. Sorry about that, too. :)

The First Nations used Monarda didyma and M. fistulosa, and the info can be found at the nativeplants. evergreen . ca site.

cheers!
Ramona

Muir Aingeal
20-06-2010, 09:35
I would love to grow my own herbs but the herb that I would most like to grow is Oatstraw and I think I would need an entire farm field for that.

I mainly use herbs for medicinal purposes.

celticnoodle
20-06-2010, 09:45
oh, I am SO excited! now that the majority of my out of state trips are done and over with, (at least, I hope so!) and the summer is still just getting started here in NY, I'm going to take off Monday and go shopping for herbs and pots and such. :D I am hoping to plant most of them, if not all of them into pots rather then put them directly into the ground. I prefer container gardening over all.

now, a question to all you who grow catnip. does this do well in a pot? thanks in advance! :D

Ramona
21-06-2010, 00:21
oh, I am SO excited! now that the majority of my out of state trips are done and over with, (at least, I hope so!) and the summer is still just getting started here in NY, I'm going to take off Monday and go shopping for herbs and pots and such. :D I am hoping to plant most of them, if not all of them into pots rather then put them directly into the ground. I prefer container gardening over all.

now, a question to all you who grow catnip. does this do well in a pot? thanks in advance! :D

HI CN ~
Yes, I can vouch for that very strongly: Catnip does grow very well in pots. Likes sun, a bit of fish emulsion to grow strong leaves (organically), and water when needed. But keep it out of reach of those cats!
big hugs
Ramona

Ramona
21-06-2010, 00:26
I would love to grow my own herbs but the herb that I would most like to grow is Oatstraw and I think I would need an entire farm field for that.

I mainly use herbs for medicinal purposes.

Hi Muir Aingeal ~
What about flat containers, about 10" X 10" ?
I used to work in a nursery that only grew native grasses, and that's what we grew the seeds in to begin with, then we transferred them into gro-pots.

For oatstraw, a layer of potting mix, with lighter stuff on top, such as vermiculite, would be ideal. Then you'd have your own green crop when the seedlings come up to use at will. :) Keep in sunlight, and water regularly.

You do want to use it for green drinks, right? With this method, you would have a steady supply - without having to have a field!

I grow oats for my daughter's two cats - as that is what garden centres use when they sell "cat grass" ... mine are already 2 " high!

Cheers
Ramona

Muir Aingeal
21-06-2010, 10:14
Thank you! I may have to try that. Yes, I'm hooked on the green drinks with ice. It seems to even out my temperament since I'm prone to anxiety (hereditary) I believe.

I haven't had any oatstraw for awhile now. I usually buy mine at Mountain Rose where the shipping about kills me. It's like a luxury item for me so I'd like to be able to grow my own.

Dancing Bear
27-06-2010, 17:02
WooHoo!! I have finally got my raised garden bed finished.
Thyme has gone in. and loads of veges.. All the other herbs are growing beautiful. MY Tea arrived in the mail and they have been placed in their mini hot houses. one seedling has gone pear shaped :( but the rest seem to be still happy. I found all my seeds and have been placing all of them in my seedling punnets.. ready for their new bed :) ..

OOH! and I dont have much of a clue about companion planting, But i have put Sage, Corriander and Parsley in the same pot.. it is going bonkers :D
Hubby is happy ! He loves corriander.

still no self heal :( I am sure one day i will come accross it.

Ramona
27-06-2010, 19:41
HI, Dancing Bear!
I'm so happy for you that you have your herb and vegie garden going ~ congrats! When I lived in Qld, that's exactly what I did, too, and my garden was a great success!

I've planted seeds of herbs in punnets, too, some for the first time.
I have Lady's Mantle, Motherwort, Calendula, Mugwort, Thyme, Summer Savory, Purple Basil, and Stinging Nettle. All have come up except for Stinging Nettle. Here my big problem are little critters called Chipmunks, not a husband, who likes my herbs. LOL!! Half of my Purple Basil are chewed right down to the nib. Sigh!

All my wild herbs and perennials are growing well in their pots, and I'm loving them to bits so they can grow up big and strong for a mid-summer sale soon. Who doesn't love Summer in NA? And a 'warm' Winter in Australia? Same difference!

It's great to keep this thread going as the season goes along.
Have a great week, everyone!

canid
27-06-2010, 20:46
Someone just gave me some Stevia woowoo! I put it in a pot so I'll try bringing it in for the winter here on the tundra, like my green pepper last year & I had peppers all winter! Boy is Stevia sweet - has a unique flavor too. Isn't it an old wives' tale that plants do better if they're a gift or stolen? Nobody ever gives me plants - it's usually the other way around.

Ramona
28-06-2010, 22:05
I think what I heard is that if you steal a plant, it'll die, but if someone gives it to you, it'll live. :)

Stevia is great! You don't need much to sweeten anything. Don't use it like sugar; use much less! oh, and no calories...

It's a perennial, so it will stay alive inside all winter if cared for. To make it bushier, simply trim off the top of the shoots to encourage growth on the lower branches. Don't let it flower - cut those off. If it flowers, then it becomes leggy and well, then it wants to die as it has now performed its life duty: grow, flower, produce seeds and die. Funny how plants do that.

Cheers!

Dancing Bear
02-07-2010, 19:38
Canid your green pepper sounds wonderful
we planted peppers today too!
we planted a yellow pepper , bell peppers, green peppers, and chilli (candle peppers)

I allocated whole area in my vege patch for the peppers.. I love to cook with chilli , so they were a must.. and hubby eats green peppers like apples, so he will be happy..

LOL! Ramona I was only thinking today i am so glad we have moved , as our last house had a bandicoot problem.. The little blighters use to eat anything that was trying to grow.
I hope you come up with a happy medium with you little furry friends..

Maybe a pot for them and a pot for you.. :D
would a cone made of chiken wire work, placed over the top of your pots?

Disa
02-07-2010, 19:41
My bergamot plants are doing very well!!! Our tomatoes and cucumbers are delish, but something keeps eating all of our peppers- does anyone know what to do to keep things from eating the peppers?

Dancing Bear
02-07-2010, 20:33
Hey Disa If its grubs and such eating your peppers.
I actually make up a mix of chilli peppers and garlic.. mix it with water and let it ferment for a good week or two..The stronger the better.
Just say about a whole garlic and two chilli peppers to about 250 ml squirty bottle. crush up the garlic and chilli.. and then pour over warm water.
while you are allowing it to ferment.. give it a shake when you think of it..

then once a week squirt your peppers with it , even your tomatoes would benefit.
It is a great natural insecticide. aphids and mealy bugs hate it!!

canid
02-07-2010, 21:01
I think what I heard is that if you steal a plant, it'll die, but if someone gives it to you, it'll live. :)

Stevia is great! You don't need much to sweeten anything. Don't use it like sugar; use much less! oh, and no calories...

It's a perennial, so it will stay alive inside all winter if cared for. To make it bushier, simply trim off the top of the shoots to encourage growth on the lower branches. Don't let it flower - cut those off. If it flowers, then it becomes leggy and well, then it wants to die as it has now performed its life duty: grow, flower, produce seeds and die. Funny how plants do that.

Cheers!

So you treat it like any other houseplant. Great! I already bring in my banana, tropical passion flower & hibiscus, aloe vera, pineapple, so what's one more? Thanks!

canid
02-07-2010, 21:04
LOL! Ramona I was only thinking today i am so glad we have moved , as our last house had a bandicoot problem.. The little blighters use to eat anything that was trying to grow.
I hope you come up with a happy medium with you little furry friends..

OOhh send me some! They're adorable! Would they make good pets?

Disa
03-07-2010, 09:47
Thank you, Dancing Bear! THat's just the sort of info I needed.

celticnoodle
03-07-2010, 11:22
Hey Disa If its grubs and such eating your peppers.
I actually make up a mix of chilli peppers and garlic.. mix it with water and let it ferment for a good week or two..The stronger the better.
Just say about a whole garlic and two chilli peppers to about 250 ml squirty bottle. crush up the garlic and chilli.. and then pour over warm water.
while you are allowing it to ferment.. give it a shake when you think of it..

then once a week squirt your peppers with it , even your tomatoes would benefit.
It is a great natural insecticide. aphids and mealy bugs hate it!!as do the japanese beetles.

another easier thing to do, is to buy a head of fresh garlic, and peel it. take one full clove and bury them individually around the plant, by just pushing them through the soil. :) the bugs still cannot stand the smell of the garlic and will leave the plant alone. :D also good for around your roses or other flowering plants that bugs are attacking.

I finally got to the nursery to buy some herbs and veggies. hubby did buy and plant tomatoes, but nothing else. and, i didn't really want to buy any as mid May I headed out for vacation, and then a few days after coming home, it was time to go to Alaska. then, came home sick for a week, and after that, still not feeling well due to allergies. :rolleyes: so, from mid May to the end of June, either gone or sick and not a good time to have to take care of a lot of plants! but, I FINALLY felt good and had time to get plants today!!! woo hoo!!

AND I HIT PAY DIRT! :D

the nursery closest to us had green peppers, hot chili peppers, oregano, basil, thyme, and & lavender and I got them all for $1.00 a six pack. (you know, the small 6pk that they put plants in?) ONLY $1.00!!! and both kinds of peppers are already loaded with fruit!!! they had many other herbs too, but I only purchased the above so far. :)

they also had huge potted tomato plants, also loaded w/fruit for $5.00 each! :bugeyed: but, hubby planted 18 sets already, so we do not need anymore tomatoes! lol!

here, I thought I'd get sickly plants if I was lucky! but, i got gorgeous, healthy plants, loaded with fruit and only a dollar each! :D

after I get these planted, I just may go back for more! WOO HOO!!! :thumbsup:

BlueDragonfly
03-07-2010, 12:06
Isn't it an old wives' tale that plants do better if they're a gift or stolen? Nobody ever gives me plants - it's usually the other way around.

The old wives' tale I remember is that you're not supposed to thank the person that gives you a plant.

canid
03-07-2010, 22:23
The old wives' tale I remember is that you're not supposed to thank the person that gives you a plant.

Oops.

Dancing Bear
11-07-2010, 21:23
as do the japanese beetles.

another easier thing to do, is to buy a head of fresh garlic, and peel it. take one full clove and bury them individually around the plant, by just pushing them through the soil. :) the bugs still cannot stand the smell of the garlic and will leave the plant alone. :D also good for around your roses or other flowering plants that bugs are attacking.

I finally got to the nursery to buy some herbs and veggies. hubby did buy and plant tomatoes, but nothing else. and, i didn't really want to buy any as mid May I headed out for vacation, and then a few days after coming home, it was time to go to Alaska. then, came home sick for a week, and after that, still not feeling well due to allergies. :rolleyes: so, from mid May to the end of June, either gone or sick and not a good time to have to take care of a lot of plants! but, I FINALLY felt good and had time to get plants today!!! woo hoo!!

AND I HIT PAY DIRT! :D

the nursery closest to us had green peppers, hot chili peppers, oregano, basil, thyme, and & lavender and I got them all for $1.00 a six pack. (you know, the small 6pk that they put plants in?) ONLY $1.00!!! and both kinds of peppers are already loaded with fruit!!! they had many other herbs too, but I only purchased the above so far. :)

they also had huge potted tomato plants, also loaded w/fruit for $5.00 each! :bugeyed: but, hubby planted 18 sets already, so we do not need anymore tomatoes! lol!

here, I thought I'd get sickly plants if I was lucky! but, i got gorgeous, healthy plants, loaded with fruit and only a dollar each! :D

after I get these planted, I just may go back for more! WOO HOO!!! :thumbsup:

CN you sound like you got a bargain girl..
I wish our nurseries sold them that cheap here. :D
Thanks for the tip of garlic cloves in the ground too!! I never knew that.. I will try it around my tomatoes, we also have plants laden with fruit..
more went in yesterday.. as somewhere down south the water system was poisoned and most of the crops that feed Australia were poisoned and killed off.. so the prices are going to go through the roof.. Capsicums and i think cucumbers were also affected.. Such a dreadful thing to do.. apparently its not the first time either its happened.. :( some people have got too many screws loose.

My husband bought me an Arabacia Coffee bush yesterday.. I was so pleased.. Apparently its going to take 2 years before i will get any coffee from it.. But i am patient..Time will fly.
I am still waiting on my tea seeds to sprout.. they also take a while to show their faces.. about an month or so before they wake up.

I just love Gardening.. CN you are also lucky to be able to grow Lavender..
Lavender does not grow here in the tropics.. I do miss it! I was very lucky to get rosemary to grow apparently.. as that doesnt normally like it up here either.. Mine seems to be doing well though.

Happy gardening everyone :D

Dancing Bear
11-07-2010, 21:28
Does anyone know how long it takes echinacea to bloom?
apparently it is the flower that is good for cold and flu.

canid
11-07-2010, 21:56
Does anyone know how long it takes echinacea to bloom?
apparently it is the flower that is good for cold and flu.

Middle of summer here in Ohio - they'd be flowering by now, or just getting ready to open up. They're usually planted in early May after last frost so, 1.5 to 2 months. But maybe your climate/sun would be different?

flying black kat
12-07-2010, 00:34
Dancing Bear and canid, my echinacea, or purple coneflower, is already in bloom. They started to bloom early this year as well as the chives. I live in PA about 2 - 3 hours from Philadelphia north and west. These are so easy to get to grow continually all summer long. They reseed themselves all the time. I do help them along by making sure I sprinkle some of the seeds in the currently growning containers and will take some and put them in other containers as well. I also plant marigolds, there are so many varries, colors and heights, around the plants. Most bugs don't like them either, and they are easy to reseed, year after year. The benefits of using whole garlic cloves is that they will grow and you can usually harvest them in about a year to a year and 1/2. I had trouble with japanese beetles one year. I went out and bought the traps etc. I got more beetles and no releif. Then I read in a article about roses to do away with the traps and use the methods you mentioned here. I also found that pulling them off and stepping on them got rid of them fast.

I am unable to grow this year as I am getting ready to down size to a smaller place and property. I would rather stay and adapt.

Be at Peace and happy gardening. You can always can or freeze excess tomotoes.

Kathy

canid
12-07-2010, 02:06
Yeah, I can, freeze & dry stuff every year - I love doing that, makes me feel like a pioneer. I've got marigolds everywhere too, & garlic & shallots in & amongst my garden veggies. It's not been a big pest year here in Ohio, thank God, because I just can't smash something, I just can't bring myself to do it, whether it's a Japanese beetle or a gorgeously grotesque tomato worm.

flying black kat
13-07-2010, 03:48
Canid:

I can relate to not wanting to hurt the little buggers. I got to the point that I just put them in jars or ziplock storage bags and put them in the trash. That way they had a fighting chance once they were gone from my house.

They drove my dog nuts and the cats started to chase and catch them. Needless to say I have not had them visiting in 2 or 3 years. And they are not missed.

Good Luck. I do a lot of container gardening now. It is some times easier to maintaine and I get exactly what I need and know will eat. Peppers, tomotoes, lettucies, herbs, flowers, etc grow nice in containers. The added benefit is that I can take them into my side room and they will live for most of the winter and keep producing for a while.

Enjoy and have a great bug free day.

Kathy

Dancing Bear
16-07-2010, 21:21
Thanks Canid and FBKat
I think i have my echinacea in the wrong pot..
I am thinking of upgrading to a larger pot so it can spread its wings..
I live in the tropics, so we are warm weather all year round, but warmer in the november to march months, when its wet season. so maybe i will have to be patient til then.

I have just planted more stuff today.. Chives went in, spring onions, Carrots, Tress tomatoes, and cress.
The kids are getting involved in a big way, which is so nice to see.. they are learning how to sow seeds and how to harvest all the bits we have.

canid
16-07-2010, 21:52
Thanks Canid and FBKat
I think i have my echinacea in the wrong pot..
I am thinking of upgrading to a larger pot so it can spread its wings..
I live in the tropics, so we are warm weather all year round, but warmer in the november to march months, when its wet season. so maybe i will have to be patient til then.

I have just planted more stuff today.. Chives went in, spring onions, Carrots, Tress tomatoes, and cress.
The kids are getting involved in a big way, which is so nice to see.. they are learning how to sow seeds and how to harvest all the bits we have.

I have to ask. What's a tress tomato? And are those upside-down tomato thingies popular there? Personally, I think it's just a fad.

Isn't it fun teaching kids how things grow & about wild edibles?

canid
16-07-2010, 21:54
Canid:

I can relate to not wanting to hurt the little buggers. I got to the point that I just put them in jars or ziplock storage bags and put them in the trash. That way they had a fighting chance once they were gone from my house.

They drove my dog nuts and the cats started to chase and catch them. Needless to say I have not had them visiting in 2 or 3 years. And they are not missed.

Good Luck. I do a lot of container gardening now. It is some times easier to maintaine and I get exactly what I need and know will eat. Peppers, tomotoes, lettucies, herbs, flowers, etc grow nice in containers. The added benefit is that I can take them into my side room and they will live for most of the winter and keep producing for a while.

Enjoy and have a great bug free day.

Kathy

But, but, then they just smother & die slowly! Eww!

I brought my green pepper in last winter, for the 1st time! I had li'l peppers all winter...

Dancing Bear
17-07-2010, 10:44
I have to ask. What's a tress tomato? And are those upside-down tomato thingies popular there? Personally, I think it's just a fad.

Isn't it fun teaching kids how things grow & about wild edibles?

LOL! No not an upside down tomato thingy LOL!
Its just like a cherry tomato and grows rambly like like a cherry tomato.
But it is all joined together on one stem.

You have one thick stem running down the middle with little stems branching off with the fruit attached.. Instead of clumps at random.

Yes the kids run out each morning to check on the progress of their plantings, its so cool!!

A bit like this image but they are little cherry tomatoes.

canid
17-07-2010, 21:54
LOL! No not an upside down tomato thingy LOL!
Its just like a cherry tomato and grows rambly like like a cherry tomato.
But it is all joined together on one stem.

You have one thick stem running down the middle with little stems branching off with the fruit attached.. Instead of clumps at random.

Yes the kids run out each morning to check on the progress of their plantings, its so cool!!

A bit like this image but they are little cherry tomatoes.

Oh, VINE tomatoes! That's what they're called here. They're awesome, aren't they?

celticnoodle
17-07-2010, 22:02
we call them grape tomatoes. is this the same thing? they are very tasty! :D

we don't grow them ourselves though, should've! we love them when we grill meats and veggies and in salads.

canid
17-07-2010, 22:12
we call them grape tomatoes. is this the same thing? they are very tasty! :D

we don't grow them ourselves though, should've! we love them when we grill meats and veggies and in salads.

I'm not sure. I've heard of grape tomatoes but I thought they were the ones the size of, erm, grapes.

celticnoodle
18-07-2010, 05:43
yeah, they are the size of grapes, and that sort of looked like the pic DB provided.

celticnoodle
18-07-2010, 05:46
I brought my green pepper in last winter, for the 1st time! I had li'l peppers all winter...
OMG! Really? in Ohio! you had your green pepper plant (I'm guessing the full size green pepper, not another version) in the house over the winter and still got peppers??!! WOO HOO!

what all did you do for them to keep them going? I would LOVE to do this with my green pepper plant, as I love green peppers. also, we bought some hot chili peppers too, that would be beautiful inside, if I could do so.

canid
18-07-2010, 06:18
OMG! Really? in Ohio! you had your green pepper plant (I'm guessing the full size green pepper, not another version) in the house over the winter and still got peppers??!! WOO HOO!

what all did you do for them to keep them going? I would LOVE to do this with my green pepper plant, as I love green peppers. also, we bought some hot chili peppers too, that would be beautiful inside, if I could do so.

My experiment worked, yes! I have an east facing patio window in the dining room - I just watered it like a houseplant. It flowered all winter & got little peppers - the plant itself got over 4 ft tall, & now that it's outside again it's covered with peppers because it had a head start. Unfortunately, Wilson (the puppy) kept stealing the peppers all winter & I was too lazy to find something high enough to set it on. But it survived. Thrived, actually. I may try some indoor peas this winter also. Theoretically, it should work because they don't like super hot sunny days.