Astro-Tarot Pack

Golden Moon

I don't know if this deck should go under Tarot, but I wanted to ask if anyone owns this tarot deck. If so, can you tell me a little info about?

Thanks.

karen0205

I've had this and sold it. The cardstock is not the greatest, a little thin if I remember correctly. The artwork is nice, but the cards are not the traditional 78 card deck. It's got 64 cards and they are tarot and astrology, Chinese astrology and the planets also. I would use it more as an oracle deck than anything else. Did you see the info about it here?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/grant-astro/

Emily

Hi Golden Moon,

Do you mean this one?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/grant-astro/

It's as wacky as Russell Grant is. The deck has been around for a while now but its never been very popular, that's probably why you can pick it up cheap, it sort of does its own thing but with a resemblance to the Rider Waite. I don't have my copy to hand but its slightly bigger than average, the cardstock is thick and doesn't shuffle very well, not very laminated if at all. Also I think the companion book is pretty good, it takes you through using the cards step by step.

The cards are bright and vibrant, the whole deck is like the sample cards shown. But I don't think you would stand a chance of reading this deck without the book, especially when it comes to the extra cards.

All in all, if you like the artwork shown then you'll probably like the deck in hand. :)

Edit

I'll get my copy out after and check the cardstock, but maybe they changed it - I think it might have been reprinted - I know the copy I have is the first edition, perhaps they changed the cardstock?

SloughSister

Bump; any more info from anyone else about this strange critter?

Mi-Shell

Hi!
I have a completely different Astro Tarot!
It has 78 cards = 12 mayor rest minors.
It is created by Hermiene-Marie Zehl and Rita Mühlbauer
It is strictly astrology.

Attachments

• e2265aef-7085-4428-97c1-c1750e926963.jpg
    e2265aef-7085-4428-97c1-c1750e926963.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 263

emel25

I bought this deck quite a few years ago but haven't used it for a long time. Its a nice bright colourful deck and if you're interested in astrology it will appeal. I learnt quite a lot from it. I think the cardstock is ok actually.

SloughSister

emel25 said:
I bought this deck quite a few years ago but haven't used it for a long time. Its a nice bright colourful deck and if you're interested in astrology it will appeal. I learnt quite a lot from it. I think the cardstock is ok actually.

Thanks. Does the astrology part dominate the traditional tarot part?

rachelcat

If I remember correctly, it's 22 majors, plus cards for astrological signs, planets, and moon nodes, plus the 12 Chinese astrology animals, which show people in animal costumes (very cute). No minors. So it's not really tarot, it's tarot majors plus a bunch of other cards.

Yeah, the card stock's not the greatest, but it is useable. If you know anything about Chinese astrology. Which I don't. But then, I haven't read the book, either!

emel25

SloughSister said:
Thanks. Does the astrology part dominate the traditional tarot part?

Hi sloughsister, the deck consists of 22 major arcana, the four aces, the 12 zodiac signs, the 12 Chinese signs and then 14 planets/astrological terms. So plenty of interest!

Laura Borealis

Another deck with a similar name is a French deck called Astrocards, by Frederic Maisonblanche. It's on Adam's tarot blog here; scroll down to the entry on January 2011. He says, "The box contains two sets of cards, a tarot of Marseilles style deck with two extra cards, and a set of 12 astrological cards using images of the zodiac, which are larger than the tarot set."

It's interesting that several decks mix tarot and astrology to the point of adding extra cards. The minchiate decks (not tarot, but related) have zodiac cards too. It seems like there's been an association between the two for centuries.

Attachments

• Astrocards_tarot.jpg
    Astrocards_tarot.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Astrocards_astro.jpg
    Astrocards_astro.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 200