Cafe Readings

Inkscape

So how many of you have ever gone to some public place, got nice and cozy and offered free readings to who ever came by? Where did you go (a pub, a cafe, a nightclub, a park)? What was it like? Did the staff mind? Did someone run off with your deck? Tell me all about it :D

saleeneh

Imo

When I first started reading cards I read for anyone that would stand or sit still. Mostly friends and family members but now that I am reading more I am beginning to think that it is important that querents offer something in return for a reading. It doesnt have to be money (although that would be nice I seldom get it since everyone is broke now days) but something in return, a drink a meal, reiki, do your dishes etc. This shows that they are vested in the process, and they will tend to be more respectful of the cards and you. After all what we do takes knowledge and skill and many hours of practice. would you expect a hairdresser or doctor to do what they do for free? good luck!

Umbrae

I do it all the time, have done it for years.

Sometimes I even charge!

Bars, coffee shops, nightclubs, parks...over the years I've...I haven't read at a car wash! hmmmmm have to do that...

cricket

The wait staff at the Applebee's in North Little Rock used to know me for my readings! Every time I would buy a new deck at the Barnes and Noble a block over, I would stop in to eat and play with the cards. Eventually they started taking readings instead of money for tips. Loved it!

Nocturnal Lure

Birthday parties and a few times in an hotel lobby while attending a meeting. Cafe or pub, not yet, in my mind I see my poor little decks stained by grease, sticky muck and spilled beer...

victoria.star

The only public readings I have ever done (and I just remembered this!) were for Halloween at a bar I worked in.

I was waiting tables and offered to give readings to my customers.

I got very busy though and only did 2, if memory serves...long time ago...I don't even go in bars anymore...

Baroli

That's how I made my professional debut. I was 19 or 20 and was sitting in

the student union of my college, just shuffling my cards and I would have

fellow students and professors stop by for a one-card reading. Now mind

you, I had no clue what I was doing; I just looked at the card and told them

a story about it. If they liked it, they gave me a tip, if they didn't they

laughed in my face and said I was nuts and left,...

It definitely built up character, lol. :)

ETA: @ Umbrae. I've read at a laundramat. :p

MareSaturni

Baroli said:
That's how I made my professional debut. I was 19 or 20 and was sitting in the student union of my college, just shuffling my cards and I would have fellow students and professors stop by for a one-card reading. Now mind you, I had no clue what I was doing; I just looked at the card and told them a story about it. If they liked it, they gave me a tip, if they didn't they laughed in my face and said I was nuts and left,...

That's an interesting way to start. I wish I had your courage, lol. I'm usually very sensitive about people calling me nuts and laughing... the hardest part would be to remove me from under the table after that....

LOL! I've always wanted to sit in a cafe and offer readings for a small fee, just to see if I can do it. But as soon as my butt touches the chair of the cafe, I panic and give up. Geez.

Umbrae said:
I do it all the time, have done it for years.

Sometimes I even charge!

Bars, coffee shops, nightclubs, parks...over the years I've...I haven't read at a car wash! hmmmmm have to do that...

I profoundly admire your Arian courage!
You'd need a US Games deck, with that Indestructible Lamination, in order to read in a car wash. I mean, if you are not inside your car, lol. Maybe you'd like to experiment with "wet tarot readings"?

As for me, I'd have to hang a sign on my table:

"Due to an unforeseen yellowness in the tarot reader's belly, she regretfully abandonds you to hide under the table instead. Please, do not disturb her blank-spot-panic-attack. Thanks."

Chiriku

The idea in the OP is intriguing.

The closest I've ever done to this was volunteering my services for themed events (usually Halloween-related) and sitting at a designated space and people filtering in.

But I always had a bit of psychological reinforcement in that (1) the organizers of the event had asked or agreed for me to do this, and helped officially promote it by saying "the tarot card reader is over there in the alcove," and (2) people expected to be met with something unusual and provocative at a themed event like that.

I should think it would take a great deal more chutzpah to just put a sign on your table at the local Starbucks [is that even allowed or is it considered solicitation or something?] !

And more power to you if you DO take the latter route.

Are you planning on doin that, OP? If so, please share the results.

WyrdRaven

RavenLady and I put a spreadcloth out over a table in the luncheon car of the train so we could play with our cards. A lady (who used to do tarot) came by and asked for a reading, so she got one! She had many "aha" moments with the cards and deeply enjoyed her reading. Didn't take any money for it, though. It was a great experience for everyone!