who is in the cards?

BrightEye

I did a reading the other day about what might happen to if I follow a certain course of action. The reading involved another person, even though the focus was on me and what I was doing.

One of the cards was the 5 of Cups. In the Tarot of the Old Path, which as the deck I used, we see a middle-aged man in the foreground. He is bent over in sorrow and oblivious to the child in the background that promises a solution or new beginnings. My attention was drawn to the man, not the child, so I thought the message of the card was to be found in the foreground.

This and the other cards in the reading suggested that my course of action would cause sadness (it's not a course of action I would like to pursue, but I feel it might be for the best), and I had a sense the man in the 5 of Cups was the other party involved. But then I became afraid that my perspective might be skewed (self-readings etc.) and that a more appropriate reading would be that the card refers to my own sadness.

It may be a bit of both, and I know lots of people say go with the first impression. But how do you distinguish between intuition and wishful thinking? I've been reading for many years now and still doubt myself...

irisa

My advice would be trust yourself BrightEye and if you can see two sides to a reading write them both down and label the first impression and the after thinking about it impression - that might help you see for yourself which is which. Generally I admit to being a "what if" person but with the cards I just know. Avoiding skewed perspective for me involves not thinking emptying my mind so I have a blank canvas on which to paint the picture then I lay the cards and go with that initial feeling. So yes go with the first impression and trust yourself :)

irisa :)

BrightEye

Thanks, irisa. That's very encouraging. Part of my scepticism regarding my first impression in this particular case is that I don't believe we can accurately pick up someone else's emotions in readings. I think they are always coloured by how we ourselves feel. On the other hand, everyone picks up other people in readings that are focused on us. And in this case I felt that what I saw was accurate.

SunChariot

BrightEye said:
I did a reading the other day about what might happen to if I follow a certain course of action. The reading involved another person, even though the focus was on me and what I was doing.

One of the cards was the 5 of Cups. In the Tarot of the Old Path, which as the deck I used, we see a middle-aged man in the foreground. He is bent over in sorrow and oblivious to the child in the background that promises a solution or new beginnings. My attention was drawn to the man, not the child, so I thought the message of the card was to be found in the foreground.

This and the other cards in the reading suggested that my course of action would cause sadness (it's not a course of action I would like to pursue, but I feel it might be for the best), and I had a sense the man in the 5 of Cups was the other party involved. But then I became afraid that my perspective might be skewed (self-readings etc.) and that a more appropriate reading would be that the card refers to my own sadness.

It may be a bit of both, and I know lots of people say go with the first impression. But how do you distinguish between intuition and wishful thinking? I've been reading for many years now and still doubt myself...

Go with the first impression, the one you had before you started to think. Once you start to think...the intuition turns off. Or in other words....how you know if it is intuition or wishful thinking? Your first instictive knee-jerk reaction when you see an image is your intuition. That is the FEELING you get inside you before any thought has entered your mind. Once you start thinking about it the moment is gone. EG you won't be ruled by wishful thinking if you do not have any thoughts, if you just go in wanting to find out the truth and nothing more, then turn off your mind and SEE. If you see something before you have had a thought then it is not wishful thinking (or any kind fo thinking at all).

For me personally, that is who I read. I feel what is there but I don't allow any thought in. If I start to think I find I have to scrap the reading and start again as the moment is then gone.

Babs

Babs