sacred geometry oracle(s)

truthsayer

i have the one by francene hart and it's beautiful. the book is well-done. long story why i did this but i traded my first SGO and missed it so much i recently bought a new copy. it's a deck and concept i want to learn more about. if i'm not mistaken, tarot of the spirit and the thoth deck also incorporate sacred geometry so i think this is a good concept to learn.

i'm not drawn to esoteric concepts like the kabalah. it just puts me in my head too much. i think one reason i like SG is that i'm a visually and artistically oriented person. there are intellectual facts as to why SG works; however, there is the abstract nonverbal language of shape and color that also makes SG work.

some of the deck cards are plain shapes. some are images drawn within a shape. do a web search on francene hart. she has a lovely website that can tell you more about her work.

truthsayer

you might be interested in this site that talks about the sacred geometry lady freida harris put into the thoth deck.

http://hungry.piranho.de/claas/olive_e.html

just checked the link and it appears that it's down. i'll leave it on the chance that it may come back up.

darwinia

Go for Francene!

I first bought the one by John Greer. He is a respected geometer and teacher, but his deck is too simplistic. The exercises in the book are simple enough for children in elementary school--he's really dumbed down the math. The art itself is coloured with little variance--like a neon glow digitally applied to the shapes. Very boring, very simplistic, and very scanty information in the book. This gentleman is quite knowledgeable and I found this set frustratingly dumbed down considering the vastness of his experience and ability as a geometer.

I returned the deck as soon as I opened it and bought the Francene Hart deck. I liked it so much I also bought a print of her Himalayan Passage picture (also on a card.) She doesn't have any exercises or information about Sacred Geometry in the book other than titling of the shapes on the cards.

I wanted something with a little depth and exercises geared toward adults who understand math and don't need to be spoon fed, so I purchased the Thames and Hudson book Sacred Geometry : Philosophy and Practice by Robert Lawlor. Excellent book filled with many illustrations and historical examples. HIGHLY recommended if the subject is an interest.

Another book was supposed to be published this year by Paul Calter but he has delayed it for another year. Go to this page for information. He teaches a university course on this and the book is going to be fantastic, I'll be special ordering it when it's in print.
http://hilbert.dartmouth.edu/~matc/eBookshelf/art/SquaringCircle.html

The main page for his course:
http://mmm.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.geometry/unit8/unit8.html

callahwj

thanks for your reply. I really expected more from greer.
-Bill

darwinia

callahwj said:
I really expected more from greer.

I figure it was either Llewellyn, trying to make the information more acceptable to the supposedly "math dumb" public, or Greer himself, who tried to make it accessible to all and thus ripped the guts out of it.

The book was maddeningly simplistic. You drew a circle and meditated on that, or put a dot on the page and meditated on that (that was the first exercise!!) His meditations were like sucking wind, there was no substance. The most "difficult" thing he had an exercise for was a vesica piscus right at the end, and there was no information on the shape as a form generator for polygons of all kinds, or information on the very rich history of the discipline or its ties to the natural world and art and architecture. No depth, it was a facade of geometry.

The cardstock is thick and heavily laminated and the box is very sturdy, the quality is top notch as you'd expect from Llewellyn. Fabulous packaging for an empty, soulless experience. I regret that the concept, the chance to educate was lost. Such a waste considering Greer's reputation and abilities.

callahwj

freesiaskye said:

The cardstock is thick and heavily laminated and the box is very sturdy, the quality is top notch as you'd expect from Llewellyn. Fabulous packaging for an empty, soulless experience. I regret that the concept, the chance to educate was lost. Such a waste considering Greer's reputation and abilities.

That is a waste. I'd rather have something poorly printed but with depth any day. When economics and education colide, education rarely survives the impact. Thanks alot for your reply,

-Bill