The Tarot is random...

JSNYC

In this thread I stated that I thought the Tarot, or rather drawing spreads was completely random.
Click here to view the post in the thread: psychological or magical

And then subsequently in another thread, a poster asked me for a theory. So I began to contemplate expounding on the theory of randomness, which I believe is a concept that is simply not understood and often misunderstood. I then received an email from a friend that confirmed this. I did a few spreads for my friend 2 - 3 weeks prior to writing this email, his first spreads (I believe). His initial response to those spreads (a couple days later) was to mention "goose bumps". I also sent him some links to my posts here on this site. Here is a copy of the email:

I read through most of the 16 page thread and it's way beyond what I can understand at the moment :) It may be a method of self-discovery and combing the unconscious to find the true issues at the heart of people's problems, but my main gripe with the Tarot readings is the randomness. Theoretically, the cards that came up in the spread you did for me, for example, could come up the same exact way for the next person you do it for, with the proper card shuffling. If that were to happen, everything you described for me, you would go on to describe for them in the same exact words so that they can somehow relate it to an issue that they're dealing with. As I've said when I saw you, the analogy that I thought of is it's like you're curve fitting a trading strategy--and in my case, I was trying to morph something I was dealing with to fit into what the cards are saying; if taken too far, what you can end up doing is morphing the problem/issue at hand into something that it isn't just to fit the cards. Another item of interest to me is the hesitancy that you had and apparently the people in that forum have with doing multiple new readings for the same person in a short amount of time. I don't know what that stems from, but it seems that the reader is battling with themselves and trying to hide the randomness aspect of the Tarot from the person they're doing the reading for, because it could be that if you do another reading the cards that come up will in no way be relatable to the person.

So on the whole, I'm pretty confused about the whole thing. You described it in pretty broad terms to me, and it may be so mind boggling of a concept that you have to have an epiphany of the kind that you had to finally understand it's true power. I didn't have that, so maybe that's why I fail to see it's true power. Maybe I'm missing something basic about it.
First, I will start with the dictionary definition of random, from www.encarta.com:

Random
  1. without pattern: done, chosen, or occurring without an identifiable pattern, plan, system, or connection.
  2. lacking regularity: with a pattern or in sizes that are not uniform or regular.
  3. Statistics equally likely: relating or belonging to a set in which all the members have the same probability of occurrence.
  4. Statistics having definite probability: relating to or involving variables that have undetermined value but definite probability.

Random number
  • number from sequence without pattern: a number in a series of numbers that have no pattern in their progression.

So essentially, something that is random, is something that has an unknown cause or pattern. It is also interesting to point out that the definition changes slightly when applied to statistics, but that is a farce, which I will address later.

All the largest and oldest religions have a paradox at their core. Their systems are fairly easy to figure out. The religion of science is no different, and one of those paradoxes is randomness. Something that is random is something with an unknown cause or pattern. So if the cause or pattern is truly unknown, then the cause could be deliberate and the pattern simply not identified yet. Thus within the definition of random is the concept of deliberate, hence the paradox. Randomness is simply a paradox, a Pandora's Box, within which the religion of science places all the things it cannot explain. Then the standard deviation curve is applied to all things deemed to be random, to give them the semblance of being explained.

This leads to a pet peeve of mine. Some people have stated that they would like to "test" the Tarot, to see if it is "random". That is so asinine. Only someone with no real concept of the meaning of randomness could propose that. This thinking is based on the "Statistics" definitions copied from encarta above. Essentially, because the concept of random has been tied to the standard deviation curve, anything deemed random is assumed to adhere to the standard deviation curve. I said this is a farce because as we have already determined, something that is random has an unknown cause or pattern. However, within statistics, a pattern is assumed, and one that does not work in every case.

This is not my theory. Those in finance are already analyzing this problem. It is well known in finance that the standard deviation curve is flawed. This is proven in the book The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. This book was preceded by his book entitled, Fooled by Randomness, that is quite appropriate. I am also sure that Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, the creator of the Shadowscapes Tarot understands this as well. This concept is presented in her 9 of Pentacles to some extent. Also, for those that understand this concept, the cause of the recent credit crisis is also quite clear. Derivatives were created using models based on the standard deviation curve, the models broke because the pattern doesn't work. My friend also understands this as well, at least on some level, and it is evident in a subsequent email he sent me (we were talking about lottery probabilities):

To be honest with you, I think of odds and probabilities as being a ridiculous concept that only becomes valid when you actually purchase the entire sample of tickets, meaning $175,711,536 when playing the Mega Millions, and $22,528,737 when playing the regular Lotto. Try talking odds to someone who buys 1 ticket and hits the jackpot. They certainly didn't matter to him in the slightest. And then bring up odds to the same person when he buys another $1 ticket and hits the jackpot yet again. Odds are entirely useless when you're talking playing $1 or any other amount that a person will play under the true sample size...you either win or you don't.
Yes, odds are entirely useless when applied to an individual event. It is only when the odds (the standard deviation curve) are applied to a collection or series of events that some semblance of a pattern emerges. To illustrate this I will use the simple, random concept of a coin flip. If a coin is flipped 10 times, and it comes up heads every time, does that prove that flipping a coin is not "random"? And then after flipping the coin 10 times and seeing heads every time, what is the probability that the next coin flip will be tails? The standard deviation curve simultaneously assumes that the next flip, being an individual event, that the probability is 50%, the same odds as in the first flip. However, assuming a reversion to the mean within the sequence of coin flips, would mean that the odds of tails coming up should be higher. Using the same pattern, when looking at the individual event the odds are different than looking at the odds within the collection of events (the sequence of coin flips). So that begs the question, how many times must a coin be flipped in order to attain that "equal distribution" that "randomness" promises? If a coin is flipped 100 times, could I then be promised an equal distribution? What about 1,000 times? The answer is that it is never attained, it is random, and it is a paradox. The Hanged Man surely understands this concept.

Finally, I will illustrate this phantom concept of randomness with one other fact. Computers are at the core of this religion of science. They have even created a computer so powerful (Big Blue) that it can beat the world's greatest chess champion. There is almost nothing that a computer cannot do, except create a random number, or anything random. Anyone with any experience programming computers knows this. A computer is simply unable to create a random number. For those not experienced with computer programming, I will explain this briefly. When a computer creates a "random" number a code object is used, which is called a "random number generator". This random number generator is "seeded" with a number to begin with. The code then produces a number using an erratic pattern that simulates what appears to be a random number. However, if the random number generator is given the same "seed number", it will produce the exact same sequence of numbers every time it is run. Typically a programmer will seed the random number generator with the current date and time, thus producing a different sequence of numbers every time the code is run, because it is always a different date and time. But the fact remains, if the random number generator is started with the same number, it will always produce the same sequence of numbers. Thus the number isn't "random" because there is a pattern, but that pattern is so erratic as to make it's identification all but impossible to detect without knowing the pattern or algorithm used to create it. Although the pattern cannot be seen or identified, that does not negate the fact that there is a pattern.

Mathematics simply cannot create a random number. An algorithm always produces a defined pattern. Thus, the god of the religion of science, the computer, proves that there is no such thing as a random number or randomness. It is a paradox and a phantom concept. So yes, drawing Tarot spreads is "random", because that is closest thing there is to modeling the randomness of human nature. Random = unknown, truly unknown. And usually science heralds the exploration of the unknown... Except when we are talking about the Tarot and the exploration of our world and ourselves. Then the unknown is called random and exploration is mocked or derided, because the High Priests of science know that their religion is flawed or at least missing something crucial.

To use the Tarot does not require a leap of faith or anything mystical or metaphysical. It only requires the acceptance of two things. First is to accept that there are things in this world that are not explained by science. (Things often conveniently labeled random.) This is rather a mundane concept. To believe otherwise would be to assume that mankind has figured out and defined everything in our world. Thus the only sane and logical assumption is that we have not explained everything. The next assumption is that the Tarot is one of those things, or that the Tarot illuminates one of those things. But I cannot convince anyone of that; that is a door that must be opened by each individual himself or herself.

So yes, I believe the Tarot is random, and I believe that label should be embraced, not rejected. That does not disprove the Tarot, on the contrary, being labeled random simply means that the Tarot is unknown and hasn't (yet) been explained. Whether the Tarot is statistically random is superfluous and irrelevant. The physical cards are certainly random and adhere to the natural laws of standard deviation curve. But when a spread is drawn... magically random things occur. However, due to the subjective element present when drawing spreads, it can never be definitively proven whether that is “random” or not.

I recently introduced someone to the Tarot and they said something that I found quite insightful. They said the Tarot helps us deal with and organize random thoughts and the randomness of life. It seems to me only logical that the best way to deal with the randomness of life is with random cards...

One final thing that I just thought of; if we were both given a deck of cards in the exact same order and were told to shuffle the cards for 5 minutes, do you think the order of both our decks would be the same after 5 minutes of shuffling? It is extremely doubtful, even if we coordinated the number of times we shuffled our decks. Then if the decks were put back in order and we were told to shuffle the decks for 5 minutes again, what do you think the probability would be that each of our decks would be in the same order they were after the first time we shuffled them? Is shuffling a deck of Tarot cards really “neutral” and “random”? A comparison with the random number generator, mentioned above, is interesting.

This concept is so mundane that it has already been written about. Those before us understood this concept, we have forgotten. So I will close with some quotes.

First, the I Ching (Richard Wilhelm’s translation):

The original purpose of the hexagrams was to consult destiny. As divine beings do not give direct expression to their knowledge, a means had to be found by which they could make themselves intelligible. Suprahuman intelligence has from the beginning made use of three mediums of expression--men, animals, and plants, in each of which life pulsates in a different rhythm. Chance came to be utilized as a fourth medium; the very absence of an immediate meaning in chance permitted a deeper meaning to come to expression in it. The oracle was the outcome of this use of chance.
Then, of course, the master:

All the greatest transformations that have ever befallen mankind have come not by way of intellectual calculation, but by ways which contemporary minds either ignored or rejected as absurd, and which only long afterwards were recognized because of their intrinsic necessity.

C. G. Jung, Psychological Types CW vol 6
In the following quote, change the word “mysticism” to “randomness”.

So if the assertion is made that our imagination, perception, and thinking are likewise influenced by inborn and universally present formal elements, it seems to me that a normally functioning intelligence can discover in this idea just as much or just as little mysticism as in the theory of instincts.

C. G. Jung, The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious CW vol 9 (1)
And finally, something I would like to close all my posts with:

Whatever we look at, and however we look at it, we see only through our own eyes. For this reason science is never made by one man, but many. The individual merely offers his own contribution, and it is only in this sense that I dare to speak of my way of seeing things.

C. G. Jung, Psychological Types CW vol 6
I did this once before, there is something else I want to say but I cannot put it into words, so I will draw 3 cards from the Shadowscapes Tarot:

8 of Pentacles ~*~ Page of Cups ~*~ 7 of Cups

Any attempts to define the Tarot, to see the entire the pattern, will only lead to more questions. The truly magical thing about randomness is that once a pattern is extracted and randomness defined, when we turn around, randomness is still there, waiting to be defined once more.

That kind of makes me think of a black hole. There is a famous scientist in his 90’s working on “solving” black holes right now. As above so below, as within so without…

-----------------
P.S.
You mentioned "what if the same cards came up?" Oh! You are reaching there! I have a deck of 78 cards, which I shuffle thoroughly, and you present the possibility that I could draw the exact same 10 cards, in the same order, 2 or more times?!?

Well, if that happened, simply being totally amazed at the remarkably random coincidence of that occurring would certainly change the reading. ;)

Reading Tarot cards is not a formulaic. Seeing the patterns in the cards is similar to seeing the patterns in the markets. The patterns are the same, but they are also different every time as well. Because both the Tarot and the markets are influenced by the same random pattern.

Open Arms

OK I think I get this - that there is some cosmic pattern (because we are dealing with chance here and not a computer program with a "physical" entity which seeds the pattern) behind the generation of either the spreads and/or the cards you draw.

Mind you I haven't had my morning coffee yet so my thinking is still a little fuzzy.

It seems a bit like fractal generation, and how it is present in the growth of branches on trees etc. The pattern was always there it just took someone looking very hard to find it.

I think its more like the lottery analogy though. I have drawn cards four or five times in a row and had one or more cards keep coming up (different readings for different people) and I have also done paired draws where I draw several cards from two different decks and again had two or more cards the same drawn from each deck. Those situations just give me goosebumps.

Its all interesting thinking though - but it only looks at the cards which are drawn, and not their interpretation. I can draw the same cards for two different people and get different interpretations as I am an intuitive reader and different things will strike me from the cards as well as the stuff that comes through from "the other side".

Debra

Would you explain why reversion to the mean is relevant here? Thanks...

JSNYC

Open Arms said:
Mind you I haven't had my morning coffee yet so my thinking is still a little fuzzy.
That is probably the best time to comment! ;)

Open Arms said:
Its all interesting thinking though - but it only looks at the cards which are drawn, and not their interpretation. I can draw the same cards for two different people and get different interpretations as I am an intuitive reader and different things will strike me from the cards as well as the stuff that comes through from "the other side".
Agreed. I alluded to the subjective element or interpretation (or intuition) briefly in the post. But I minimized it because the concept of randomness was large enough without introducing the subjective. You obviously understand the concept I tried to present. I found your comments very interesting to read. The "randomness" or "non-randomness" of the cards is only a single variable in the overall equation, and possibly a minor variable.

Debra said:
Would you explain why reversion to the mean is relevant here? Thanks...
The standard deviation curve assumes a reversion to the mean, that is why the "tails" gradually slope to zero (at the point of the "impossible"). The concept I alluded to when I mentioned the book, The Black Swan, is called the "fat tail" theory. This simply means that extraordinary events (or synchronistic occurrences) happen more often than the standard deviation curve allows, thus the curve doesn't "fit". It could also be assumed that something non-random is being observed within randomness (or at least the “randomness” of the markets)...

If there is no reversion to the mean, the standard deviation curve will not fit the phenomenon... Or at least not how it is being applied... (This makes me think of sequent vs. cyclic change in the I Ching.)

MrAndrewJ

JSNYC said:
There is almost nothing that a computer cannot do, except create a random number, or anything random. Anyone with any experience programming computers knows this. A computer is simply unable to create a random number. For those not experienced with computer programming, I will explain this briefly. When a computer creates a "random" number a code object is used, which is called a "random number generator". This random number generator is "seeded" with a number to begin with. The code then produces a number using an erratic pattern that simulates what appears to be a random number. However, if the random number generator is given the same "seed number", it will produce the exact same sequence of numbers every time it is run. Typically a programmer will seed the random number generator with the current date and time, thus producing a different sequence of numbers every time the code is run, because it is always a different date and time. But the fact remains, if the random number generator is started with the same number, it will always produce the same sequence of numbers. Thus the number isn't "random" because there is a pattern, but that pattern is so erratic as to make it's identification all but impossible to detect without knowing the pattern or algorithm used to create it. Although the pattern cannot be seen or identified, that does not negate the fact that there is a pattern.
I guess that being familiar with this, I'll kind of go off on my own tangent.

The random seed is an erratic constant. The introduction of time into the mix acts as a manual agent which keeps the erratic seed from ever following the same path.

How is this really different from 78 cards being shuffled by hand? There are still constraints to the tarot as well. The Fool in a Rider-Waite-Smith deck won't suddenly sport a Gucci bag and start walking the other way.

The solutions? Computer scientists have used everything from passing noises to lava lamps to replace the Seed-based functions. Tarot readers develop and utilize any number of decks with any number of themes.

The goal here isn't to be antagonistic. Rather, it's to suggest that there may be a lot more common ground to work from. I tend to really prefer common ground.

In practice, I do prefer real cards to anything that a computer can serve up. This is also coming from a lot more programming / techie experience as well as being able to work the "random" out of a 52 card playing card deck. :D

But it's the random factor that I love about Tarot, and I agree with a lot of what you said. I just happen to think there may be more common ground and overlap as well.

Debra

This is interesting.

I have some thoughts. :)

First, applying randomness to tarot, as far as I can see, comes down to the question "which card will you draw now?" If I'm correct, then the relevant definition of randomness has to do with the probability of any give card being drawn. If you select one card at random from a 78-card deck, the odds of any given card being drawn in a one-card draw is 1/78. I don't see how this has anything to do with "having an unknown cause or pattern." The "unknownness" of it has to do with our perception (whether we "detect" a pattern or not)--but that's not what statistical probability is about. In other words, you can blow on the dice before you throw them, but unless it affects the physics of the die, and assuming it is not loaded, your breath does not impact the odds of how it lands.

Regression to the mean is relevant to research design and questions of internal validity. It affects common perceptions, sure, but I don't see how it affects tarot. The shape of a distribution is an empirical question! One should never assume that for empirical data (test scores, number of tomatoes on the plant, etc.) that there will be a "normal" distribution.

I guess I see a distinction between statistics and our perception of the odds. It's well-known that our perceptions tend to be biased, which helps explain why there are ten people in line ahead of you waiting to spend the kids' milk money on lottery tickets.

To really apply this to tarot is extremely difficult because the cards have multiple meanings. So saying, for example, "What are the odds that she'd select a card 'at random' about motherhood just when she asked about it? Wow!!!" has to do both with the "odds" and, more importantly, with "which cards are 'about motherhood.'" If it's a one-card draw and the only card we use to signify "motherhood" is the Empress, for example, then the odds that she's gonna pull that card are 1/78. If the spread involves multiple cards drawn without replacement and if multiple cards can signify "motherhood" then the thing gets messy real fast.

The crowned one

I am not sure I agree with anything beyond a few basic, over simplified facts.

AS far as the cards go conditional probability ups the odds pretty quick. Just looking at the minors to King the chances of drawing 2 of any card are about 1/366 ( rounded as I hand calculated) if I take the meaning out of the cards.

JSNYC Statistical confusion is the norm, and the amount of simplification that I am seeing here, makes tarot no longer tarot. What you are talking about are 78 blank pieces of paper number consecutively 1 through 78. It really is not the same thing.

Cerulean

How tarot affects us -- belief is in the hands of the beholder

Perhaps a more modern and thinking way of using the tarot and embracing randomness in how the cards fall is liberating. That is good for some.

I've seen the quiet anticipation in the eyes of good souls who are curious and wondering. They are happy to try something new when they touch a card. Oh, they do want to see something and I know there is hope and yes, it is the wanting to believe there is an answer...

Their expectation seems to be a wanting to believe.

I've seen a nervous flick of an eye and a look of someone to his beloved. He was nervous, still even with the knowing that his beloved and I were good friends. We would never ask him nor tell him something horrid simply from a deck of cards. He had a belief in us, if not the cards, and good sportsmanship to extend his hand and draw some cards and flick them over. It helped him to know we saw the tarot as a creative way to suggesting windows and views upon certain events or activities. We said tarot would help us to say out loud 'things we might have already known' within us. In other words, help us to move forward somewhat faster by working with accepted meanings that are associated with the cards.

The way I knew of the I-Ching in old fashioned use was it was used for a comforting reassurance, a predictive way of knowing the unknowable, of really giving some hope, some choice and a way of giving some sense to the unknown. The people who used it in my grandmother's day who would consult the fortune-teller, who would lay down the sticks and also consult an almanac and calculate predictions based on the birth year, etc...For the young child who was my grandmother-- it was about going across the unknown seas, seeing how they are married, their children, their future lives. There was a comfort in having thought you could put a name, a pattern, some definition to their new lives to come. The women knew their old lives were not sources of happiness. They wanted to believe they could establish some comfort, some safety and stability in all the randomness and unknowable things that could happen outside of their ken.

I may be not agreeing or perhaps looking at reading cards rather personally. I am not looking at tarot from a broad, sweeping spectrum. I understand it is a more modern and hopeful idea that tarot can a lens of interpretation with myriad ways of seeing or focusing one's eyes on the scene laid out in the cards. I like that idea quite a bit. However my thought is that traditionally one might use the cards as a lens to perhaps put order to the randomness of life that was and is. We would use tarot on how to address our anxiousness about what we cannot control.

I believe, gently spoken, tarot might be a more objective or more emotional lens, if we wish, for comfort. I believe that knowing meanings of cards can be an attempt to introduce pattern and order to our more unstable and random lives.

I may be addressing only the emotional component of reassurance in how we would read the tarot. I do not emphasize a random fall of cards to my friends and will not associate it to the stock market nor take ideas about readings to the creative and theoretical musings that we enjoy here.

Talking Tarot topics might sometimes to me come across 'midnight tarot dorm discussions' In my case, random ravings about my silly color preferences. &). I just discovered that I usually like my greens in decks to resemble fresh and lightly cooked broccoli or lettuce greens. My tarot color preferences are likely better explained as I know myself better; and this is emotionally satisfying because the lenses of tarot help me figure things out better.

I find it easier to talk about working with tarot from a personal view and likely, my personal opinion is flawed.

My working life is about putting a bit of sense and order to certain randomness. But even knowing that life and money and the flow of energy (electricity) is tracked in an ordered way, has paths that have been laid down or evolved over the past hundred years--all of it is subject to nature, human emotion, environmental and seasonal weather randomness. Hence many bean-counters have to do after-the-fact adjustments with sighs to so-called predictive outlooks. I am not really keen on using generic theories that try to explain money and banking and their failures in my use of the tarot.

The charm of tarot, I-Ching and folklore and history to me is the chronicle of so much myriad patterns of tarot belief, practice and hope, even their envelopes and layered wrappings of associative mystery that evolved over time. I enjoy the unwrapping of such a myriad of mysteries!

For example, I'm learning some Japanese music slowly by working out things with an instrument. There's really many theories and other things I can apply to it's play; lovely history and folklore, patterns and practioners. But really for me, it's rich enough as it is just sometimes to play a little.

Thanks for the thread. I hope you do enjoy how wonderful the musing that your tarot thoughts and good work can be...and hope you enjoy the play!

Cerulean

MareSaturni

The crowned one said:
JSNYC Statistical confusion is the norm, and the amount of simplification that I am seeing here, makes tarot no longer tarot. What you are talking about are 78 blank pieces of paper number consecutively 1 through 78. It really is not the same thing.

Agreed.

Not to mention that this:

...but my main gripe with the Tarot readings is the randomness. Theoretically, the cards that came up in the spread you did for me, for example, could come up the same exact way for the next person you do it for, with the proper card shuffling. If that were to happen, everything you described for me, you would go on to describe for them in the same exact words so that they can somehow relate it to an issue that they're dealing with.

...clearly comes from someone who has no idea what tarot is about. I don't recall ever interpreting the same card exactly the same way in every reading. Even if I got exactly the same spread. Because a reading is much more than just a list of card meanings.

Many people believe that the cards are a message from a higher being or our higher selves, depending on their spiritual beliefs, and for them the cards are not random. Even though you cannot see or grasp rationally from where the tarot messages come from, it doesn't make them necessarily random.

And even if you are an atheist, you could probably find a way to make tarot makes sense to you despite the randomness, if you are inclined to. I don't see why randomness would make tarot any less reliable.

I won't comment on the math part of the thing because this is way beyond my expertise.

gregory

Marina said:
...clearly comes from someone who has no idea what tarot is about. I don't recall ever interpreting the same card exactly the same way in every reading. Even if I got exactly the same spread. Because a reading is much more than just a list of card meanings.
YES ! The identical cards in the identical spread will generally mean something quite different when drawn for the second time - even for the same PERSON !

Marina said:
I won't comment on the math part of the thing because this is way beyond my expertise.
Yes to that too :|