Best Book for Herb Photos

greatdane

Just an fyi. The best book I've found for great, large color photographs to actually IDENTIFY herbs is The New Age Herbalist. I know some of the info is out of date (I cross check references as it's really good to know how certain herbs interact with others and prescription medication) as to side effects, etc., but I don't think the photographs to identify the herbs can be beat! I found a like new copy on Amazon very cheaply.

flying black kat

I have this book and have had it for many years. It is one of the nicer complete herbal books I have.

Enjoy

Kathy

greatdane

Hi flying black kat!

I'm so glad you like it, too! I'm sure you know your plants much better than I, and that's where those big photos come in so handy!

Blessings on your week,

GD

Sophie

Thanks for the heads-up, GreatDane, I'm always on the lookout for herb books - good pictures are invaluable when you do wild harvesting!

Jekka's Complete Herb Book is pretty good on pictures too - and a very useful book all round. Although it's more about growing them, it does have pointers on medicinal, culinary and other properties.

I usually consult several books, depending on my needs. Including the Book of Nature itself ;)

greatdane

Thanks, Sophia!

I appreciate the heads up on other books. The biggest plus of the New Age Herbalist to me was the huge color photos because I have trouble telling oregano from ragweed LOL! The medicinal info is a bit dated on it, not saying it's not useful, but things change as new prescriptions come out or there are new side effects discovered re some herbs. I so get why you cross reference!

Blessings,

GD

Sophie

I found a cheap copy in the UK, I ordered it :).

Big and clear photos are excellent, I agree. All too rare.

greatdane

Ohhh, glad you found it, Sophie!

I really think you will enjoy the photos. Please let me know your thoughts when you get it, ok?

Blessings,

GD