Tarot-loving Christian? Possible?

Aviloria

I always had an interest in tarot.
From since I was young. Like many I saw them on TV portrayed as something evil.
But I dunno, I fancied the cards.

Now i dunno if you call it "being on the fence" but I do not agree on alot of what Christianity says. One of the things I get bashed on is body modification.

For me
Bod mods = Art
Enough of that.

But tarot is always a interest to me.
I can say I cannot find myself fully devoted into Christianity, because i feel a sense of restriction and it would kill my individuality and my basic need to express myself. But I do believe in God.

I have recently bought my first deck. Morgan-Greer deck.
And when I bought it I must of almost peed myself out of joy.
When I got home, the glow was still there.

Now after a week of having the neck, there is still the glow.
But having to hide it so much, to know that basically everyone where i live and know that will bash it and say im going to hell if i continue to have them it hurtful.

Why is it so hard to like tarot and have some Christian based views/beliefs?

The confusion is over whelming and i feel so very lost alot of the time. And there is no one to even to talk to. Because they are looked at as evil

[Thats why I was so surprised to actually find a deck here]

At times I feel like "WOW! I have a deck!!!
Then being in this Christian world "Oh shit, should i really have these?

If I dump them, I would rampage in the garbage to get them back.

I feel so very lost.
Why can both correspond together?
Why can tarot be involved in ALL faiths? Like universal tool?

I love them alot, but i'm worried.
Help please?

cardlady22

It's a strange dance until you reach that Comfort Zone inside yourself. I like/love my decks, but out of respect for those in my life who cannot (or will not) I keep them out of their face. I bought & purged my first round of decks, but have gotten them all back now. :p

gregory

There are many Tarot loving Christians here. Don't worry about it ! Much of the imagery is Christian, too :)

Here is one thread discussing this; and another and another.

You are not alone on this one !

HERE is an index of threads on the subject !

Not that it matters starting a new one - but you sound so alone and you aren't !

AJ

Absolutely. Many Christians, and many other faiths represented here.
Tarot isn't a religion. Just paper and ink like any other book.

Baroli

AJ said:
Absolutely. Many Christians, and many other faiths represented here.
Tarot isn't a religion. Just paper and ink like any other book.

There ya go!! Couldn't agree more!!

BTW, welcome to the forum, from a Tarot reading Christian. I've been reading for about 40 years now; hasn't curtailed my belief in God and His Son.

Relax! Enjoy the forum. We won't have you sacrificing chickens until you have 25 posts or more. ;) })

JSNYC

I just got back from a vacation to go visit family. My Mother, a life-long Christian feels exactly the same way you do. My sister is also a Christian, although I am not sure how she feels. But they both embraced the Tarot. And one point my Mother was even chatting about it with excitement. I enjoyed introducing them to the Tarot immensely.

Yeah, Christians have a rough time due to indoctrination. But don't feel bad, growing up in a Christian home, I felt the exact same reservations (fear) when I first started learning the Tarot, even though I am not a Christian. (I have defined myself as an agnostic for most of my life.)

Keep an open mind but don't think you have to accept anything you are not comfortable with. Indoctrination is not a weakness, it is a fact of life. Just (continue to) think for yourself, the fear will diminish. And as gregory mentioned, you are not alone.

Aviloria said:
Why can tarot be involved in ALL faiths? Like universal tool?
Why? Indoctrination. But we are changing that. ;)

Marcia959

Kind of recently my niece told me that she couldn't talk to me any more because her Christian beliefs conflicted with my tarot. Of course, no where in the Bible is tarot specifically forbidden because the tarot wasn't created until the 1400's in Italy. When it was created, of course, it was and still is chock-full of Christian imagery, so much so that my pagan buddies wonder when more pagan decks will be created. I happen to be an active Catholic and a professional reader myself (my niece is protestant as is the rest of my family). While many cite religion as the reason for being against tarot, etc, truly I feel it is the individual's interpretation of their beliefs and not the precise tenets of faith that consider this a problem.

Personally, I don't have a conflict between my faith and tarot. I often have issues with faith and the actions of others, Christian or not, but I also try to work on reconciling my own actions first, since those are the ones I control. that has kept me plenty busy over the years.

That said, I honor their individual freedom of belief also while continuing to exercise my own. I don't know if one belief is better than another; I balk at the thought of a "My God can beat up Your God" schoolyard fight that is so prevalent in human history and present day passion. I believe in freedoms like this though so far as they do not harm another and firmly believe one should consult the other rather than assuming harm or not.

And tarot is a set of images printed on paper or pixels. What it triggers in our minds and spirits is something that cannot be governed by religion, in my opinion.

With all best intent to all creatures and best wishes.

Glitterbird

I have never considered the two to be connected. As others have said Tarot is not a religion, I see it more as a tool.
Nobody forbids you, or thinks its evil to use a hammer or paint brush. Why do they with tarot? Fear of the unknown is usually why. (my opinion)
Friends and family can either except me or not - their choice. (This is the good part about getting older) You can love yourself and not care what others think!!

Manda

I love God and I love tarot. God is love and joy, and the fount from which all good things flow. For me. I have no conflict and see no conflict and don't bother with those that do.

What a sorry little deity if any form of divination could give us informationdee are not supposed to know. The God I worship is powerful and compassionate, not weak and mean.

Christians are exhorted to pray to God. Tarot is where I hear the answers.