Tying Decks with Satin Ribbon

greatdane

Just wondering if anyone ties their decks (like one would tie a package, crisscrossing along the back and then tying in front) with a bit of satin ribbon before putting them in their bags? You know, to keep them from slooshing about. Besides, I think it looks rather nice when you take them out and unwrap them. I figure couldn't hurt, as I'm not talking about binding them like they're in a corset or anything. Do others do this before putting them in a bag or case? I didn't know if this was something most readers do.

Sinduction

No because I'd get bent corners. I put them in my protective bags where they do not move around.

emmsma

I too, would be afraid of damaging the cards by tying anything around them.

MMMmmm. Sinduction bags. No slooshing in their. Safe and snug. :)

greatdane

Lightly tying doesn't seem to bother

I don't advocate binding decks, but it seems to very lightly and fairly loosely wrap doesn't seem to affect. New cards come sealed tighter than I would wrap. Besides, when someone puts their deck loose in a bag, isn't it likely to get banged around more than if it were very loosely tied? Just asking....

Faolainn Storm

Quite a few of my decks are tied like this. Mostly the ones that don't have boxes, and where I haven't yet had time to make them a bag. They are quite secure, and I have never had a bent corner, yet. Mind you, I wouldn't throw a tied deck into my handbag without a bag. But for storage it works a treat. Tying them up keeps them all together and is far better for them than rubber bands or hairties (both of which eventually perish and can leave sticky spots on the cards).

I use a wide ribbon, loop it around the middle, cross at the back, around top-to-bottom, cross at the front, and then around the middle again, and tie at the front with a bow. Safe, secure and very pretty.

FS

ETA Oh, and I tie them very tightly. It causes absolutely no damage to the cards. The tighter the better, as it prevents the cards moving and therefore reduces the chance of damaging them. Though, I wouldn't use a very thin ribbon, as that may cut into the cards, but a wide ribbon is fine.

greatdane

Thanks Faolainn!

I knew some people used rubber bands on their decks and figured it wouldn't hurt to tie a satin ribbon around mine before putting into a bag or case. I like how it looks too! It's lovely pulling the deck out wrapped like a gift :)

Wendywu

I make my own bags and make each one to measure specifically for the deck I intend to put in it. The leather for each is chosen specially, and the things I put on it relate to the deck and me. But I make each bag so that its deck is held securely.

If I know I'm gonna want the deck to be a traveller then I make it a very sturdy bag indeed, where it is held safely and quite frankly I think an enraged wolf could chew on it and the cards would be fine :D

greatdane

Lol Toooo Funny Wendy!

I'm picturing the enraged wolf breaking off fangs trying to get to the cards....

Wendywu

Well just make sure you grab the fangs - I could use them :laugh:

greatdane

Oh My Wendy....

Not watching too many episodes of True Blood are we? lol Seriously, if you can wrap a deck that a dog can't chew through you're impressive!