PDA

View Full Version : Larger Avatars?

Demonesse
24-05-2003, 00:41
I was just browsing through some other forums, and I was struck by the fact that it was possible to use much larger avatars there, which really allowed the full beauty and detail of the pictures/artworks/photographs to come through. I don't know if this site's software allows it though...

How about it? :)

wavebreaker
24-05-2003, 03:34
I don't think it's a good idea, because the larger the avatar, the longer it takes to download. For me personally that's not a problem, because I have a fast ADSL connection, but there are also a lot of people on the forum who have slow dial-in connections. So it wouldn't be fair on them to increase the download time by adding larger avatars, especially since it's only an extra, and not essential to the forum.

Minderwiz
24-05-2003, 06:56
Its a nice idea but I agree with tarotlady.

I've also got a broadband connection but even with that there are times when the site is so busy that download of pages can slow down.

Avatars are nice but as tarotlady says they are not essential and slow download times may well impair the enjoyment of those on dial-ups. The same really holds for suggestions about allowing pictures or art work - it will just lead to the site grinding to a halt at certain times of the day.

Perhaps, hopefully, as technology improves we may be able to do this at some stage in the future

Astraea
24-05-2003, 12:02
I have sometimes wondered if it might be possible to have enlargeable thumbnails; this might get around the problem of long download times for modem users, since the avatars would only be enlarged if people clicked on them. Just a thought.

Diana
24-05-2003, 19:32
I love the avatars just as they are. I like the idea of this forum remaining as Tarot-focused as possible. I frequently get the impression that sometimes some people forget that these are Aeclectic TAROT forums, and consider them to be Aeclectic General Forums.

It's fun and colourful to have all other little extras - they make this forum the special place that we all appreciate so much, but they mustn't make us forget that we are here to talk about Tarot and its related topics firstly, and all the rest secondarily.

Demonesse
24-05-2003, 20:13
You're right, I'd not considered the fact that the larger images might slow down the forum (and yes, I do understand they are 'perks' and not an integral/content-driven part of the forum). Enlargeable avatars sounds nice but I don't think that's really practical either..

Oh well, back to the drawing board. :)

purplelady
05-06-2003, 01:57
I somewhat agree with Diana here (heavens!)LOL.
Having visited those other forums, I feel that people get WAY carried away with huge avatars, avatars that have so much dance and motion, "smiley" icons that dance and twirl and shimmy, and jump all over!
And signitures that take up half a page!
Let's hear it for a little simplicity so we can focus on the content not the superficious visuals.