Why Can't 'I' read for myself? or Why can't one read for themselves?

bornafool

There's something I just couldn't understand...but one thing I do know and that is the beauty of Tarot is that the individual can choose their own way regardless of any rules or regulations set by anybody, to bring out the best and find their own paths for themselves. I think everybody, particularly Tarot users might get what I mean...

However, I just don't understand the fact that for some users tend to tell others that they should not read for themselves. Why?
If reading for ourselves does help us to reflect with our own insites and make us see our own weaknesses while strengthening our positiveness, Why shouldn't people try to read for themselves? I know everybody has their own ways...but I just like to know how different users might say about this.

Promise

Because some people have a hard time being objective when reading for themselves.

We get emotionally invested and it's often times way too easy to see the answer we want to see, and not the one that the cards are actually giving us. Different strokes for different folks. Some people read for themselves all the time, while others find it incredibly challenging to do so.

Lillie

I think just about everyone on this forum reads for themselves.

For me at least it's hard to do successfully.
I am often to biased, too involved in the situation, to see clearly what the cards are trying to say.

But that's just 'find it difficult', not the same as 'must not'.

gregory

Some do, some don't. You do what feels right for you. I don't because I don't trust myself to be objective ! I wish that weren't true - but it is, so I beg for readings when I feel a need :D

Lillie

But that's not the same as saying people 'should not'.

I don't think anyone here would say people should not read for themselves.

gregory

No - like what I done said - you do what feels right for you.

I did - honest ! :D

QueenxxCups

I think you should read for yourself. Good way to develop your intuition and become familiar with the cards. I read for myself all of the time. However, one of the reasons I joined this forum was to trade readings with others. I would like to see just how objective I really am.

Lillie

gregory said:
No - like what I done said - you do what feels right for you.

I did - honest ! :D

I know.

I was just interested in the idea in the original post that apparently some people say that you 'shouldn't'.

That's all.

I wonder if it's people who are selling readings.
They would have a vested interest in stopping people reading for themselves.

Like hairdressers who say you shouldn't try to cut your own hair.
Although, to be honest, it's probably a good idea not to...

Vesper

As Lillie says, you may not want to cut your own hair.

Well, maybe you can trim the bangs (fringe). I find it easiest to do readings about matters in which I'm not too emotionally involved. Or if I am overwrought about a matter, then I will try readings about how to find relief from my emotions.

For example, if I just got dumped, asking my cards a question like "Is he sorry he left; does he want me back?" won't give me good answers, and won't relieve my distress. But a reading like "What can I learn, what should my focus be now?" will be very helpful.

HOLMES

i find it hard to read for myself

i tried and gave up for i found myself slowly changing the book meanings to reflect what i wanted.

I did do an oracle reading recently with the doreen virtue cards and it turned out more accurate then i expected, i relied mostly on the key words and the littlle book.

some people learn well reading for themselves then others and vice versa,
so people can,, but i can't :)