My first totally inaccurate reading

DaughterOfDanu

I read for others online. Have for pretty much all my years reading Tarot. I've found it to be a rewarding experience in which others get their reading and are given some guidance, while I get my practice in.

Last night I did a reading for a girl. It was her first time getting a reading. She wanted a general reading so I pulled some cards depicting things to look out for and then a few more cards on some general advice.

I came to the conclusion that she has tendency to be a bit of a hothead and because of that, mixed with her impulsiveness, she might find herself getting into some petty squabbles with those around her. The advice was to plan things out, take control of her emotions, and to just remain calm.

I always ask for feedback when I send out my readings. It lets me know whether how accurate I am. Up till now I've pretty much gotten responses like "Wow! It's so true! Thanks!" but she told me that her personality is the opposite from what I said she was.

What happened?

Needless to say, I'm a bit confused and slightly bummed. I know accuracy is not always 100% but I always was lead to believe I was on the right track. I'm also a bit frustrated because it was her first reading and I might have given her the opinion that the divination isn't real. The only thing I can think of that might have happened was I was using the Celtic Dragon and followed the card's switched suits (Swords meanings are switched with Wands and vice versa) But I felt so sure of it. Also there are a lot of court cards and I'm not very good with court cards at all.

How do you get over inaccurate readings? Is there anything you tell yourself to push on and keep reading? Can anyone give me some uplifting advice?

rabid

Just an idea... but perhaps she simply doesn't think of herself as being hot-headed or the type to get into petty squabble, when in reality, she is. I have a brother who is a huge jerk and often patronises the crpa out of people... in his mind, he's simply helpful. :p

Eowyn

You have to learn that you did hit home.

Sometimes, people won't accept anything that is not flowers and sugar as a reading's outcome. Keep on your good work, because I think that you told what you felt was right, so that mean you are doing a good job with tarot :)

gregory

She may be in denial - OR - you could actually have been wrong.

If that is your first EVER wrong reading I salute you.

If it is also the last you must be a genius :D

DaughterOfDanu

rabid said:
Just an idea... but perhaps she simply doesn't think of herself as being hot-headed or the type to get into petty squabble, when in reality, she is. I have a brother who is a huge jerk and often patronises the crpa out of people... in his mind, he's simply helpful. :p

Don't we all have people like that in our lives? Lol

Yeah I know that the Tarot is a real tool. It's helped so many people (Including myself) So I'll have to give the benifit of the doubt that she, indeed, has a temper problem and that the cards were right.

I'd love any more advice anyone else has on this subject. :) Can never get enough advice.

Edit: Gregory, I've had readings that were off, or were confusing but I still had positive feedback from my clients saying I was accurate or it "Sounded Right"
This was just plain 100% wrong according to that client.
Of course my clients could have been lying and I'm no where neat genius but to my knowledge this was the most "Wrong" one of my readings have been.

gregory

OK - chill.

You did your best; you know you are a good reader; she will have to think about it. She may decide in the end that she agrees and come back for more. Or not. It isn't a huge problem, whichever. We cannot all hold on to our readings after they are done and agonise over them, or we will never dare do another when someone disagrees. Move forward !

AineFoley

Everyone has off days but it's possible (even likely) that she doesn't understand herself or doesn't want to acknowledge those personality traits. I have a friend who is very secretive and she went to a tarot reader who gave her a very accurate reading but my friend told her she was completely off base because she hated the idea that someone knew that much about her.

DaughterOfDanu

gregory said:
OK - chill.

You did your best; you know you are a good reader; she will have to think about it. She may decide in the end that she agrees and come back for more. Or not. It isn't a huge problem, whichever. We cannot all hold on to our readings after they are done and agonise over them, or we will never dare do another when someone disagrees. Move forward !

I hope I didn't come off as a "Right Fighter". I didn't mean to.

My plan of action is to take it as it is and to move on. You're right that I shouldn't agonize over it. I took a bit of time today to think about it and realized that I love reading Tarot cards too much to just abandon them.

If I was wrong, I was wrong. I have some ideas why I think I was- with the court cards and all and I plan on working on that. If anything, this situation made me think about some weaknesses I have and some improvements I could make.

But if I was right then hopefully she'll come to terms with it.

Either way, the only way I can get better and more accurate is to keep doing them and keep practicing as well as learning. :)

Thanks again everyone. I really am loving this forum and all the support/advice/info it's members share.

gregory

TreeLeafe said:
I hope I didn't come off as a "Right Fighter". I didn't mean to.
Not at all. :) As someone trying to do their very better than best and worrying too much !

Kimberlee

It could also be that, while normally she is mild-mannered, a situation will come up where she totally loses her cool. If not now, then in the future.

Either way, it happens to everyone. ;) Thanks for sharing your experience with us!