Weirded out...and other interesting tidbits

BeTo1984

Hello all,

I just had my first "creepy" request. Normally I don't mind whom I read for, but usually I've limited myself to friends and friends of friends. On a very rare occasion I will for a random stranger (someone who sees me playing), but for the most part, people have been very helpful. Although it's a bit tiring at times (and a occasionally frustrating, especially when someone doesn't want to listen to you), my experiences have been mainly good and I'm happy that I'm getting practice.

But for this one...I don't want to get into too much detail, but basically this person was asking me to read for them (via telephone) and will pay me on a weekly basis (!). Although I'm incredibly strapped for cash at the moment (I have been desperately seeking work for several months now to no avail), I couldn't help but feel really stunned and slightly creeped out at such a request. I politely rejected it.

I know that there are some people who are very dependent on readings. I know I can be a little crazy at times (I'll say that about myself, lol), and I have some sympathy for this person, but yikes, I've never actually asked someone to "check up" on me on a regular basis.

It's things like this that make me very hesitant to want to read, even though I do enjoy it for the most part and want to try doing it publicly once I get more comfortable and "grounded". I still get tired easily, and I don't know if I can handle some individuals, especially if it's for long periods of time...even I can't be in a reading for more than 30 minutes...argh, I don't know. I guess I was wondering...how do you work with some of those you know are a little "desperate"?

chrissydogz

most likely that person meant no harm. for all you know this can be the universe giving you a nudge. so perhaps reading for money will help you for the time being.

BeTo1984

Oh, no, I know, generally people are harmless. ;) I'm not worried about my safety or well-being...I guess I'm just generally hesitant about...eh, dependency.

Sinduction

With the "tarot junkies" I find it is best to lay out boundaries right at the beginning.

So, for instance, in a weekly situation. I'd lay out how many readings per week (I think one would suffice), how long said reading will last, and on what day and time the reading would be.

All that's needed is to be firm.

BeTo1984

thank you for the replies so far. I guess I'm just not used to hearing about getting a weekly reading from someone. Maybe once a month or once every couple months, but not weekly or bi monthly...

AJ

there are many nice people here who get a reading nearly every day. they love tarot :)
As said above, lay out your guidelines before hand and go for it. How hungry do you need to be before you will accept a job??

Aerin

I don't necessarily see any problem with a weekly reading, as long as it is done in a way that is empowering for the client and puts them in the driving seat of decision making. So for example it could just be like a weekly coaching session where you e.g. could review last week, discuss a goal, commit to an action (or something like that).

Where I would see a problem is with getting a "what should I do?" or "does he love me?" or any repeating question asking for the same information on the identical topic.

I would apply the same when reading for myself btw. After all, nothing wrong with a card a day draw either - again, as long as you aren't giving your power away.

canid

Boy, I wish someone would fall into my lap like that. Not, however, a junkie, but you seem intuitive enough to tell the difference. If they start seeming overly needy & relying on you for decision-making, then speak up. It's their life, not yours, & if they want & are able to pay for weekly readings, go for it, making sure you have that 'talk' beforehand & keeping an eye open.

BeTo1984

I guess I was a little taken aback because I've never had anyone ask me something like this before. Nor have I ever been in a situation where I needed to consult my cards all the time; sometimes standard intuition or journaling helps immensely (and is free!). I know that we've all needed a third-party perspective in trying times, but I just had a feeling that this would be long-term (and I stil haven't mastered "grounding," so I knew that an arrangement like this would be mentally exhausting).

There were other issues, too, but in the end I felt that I would be cheated in the deal. Oh well, less money for me....

Grizabella

How can you be cheated when "zero money" versus "some money" plops into your lap. Like AJ said, how hungry do you have to get----? The Universe plops a weekly sum of money in your lap and you say "no". Go figure. :p

It's been my experience that when I'm getting desperate and something like that happens, it's usually an offer from the Great One and if I say no, then the offers start getting made to other people who will say yes and I'll be passed by on the next go-round.

Here's the thing: If you had found that this person seemed to be "hooked" on readings and was calling you all the time at inconvenient moments, you do have the right to tell them you'll only take their calls at certain times. Presumably you'll have told them that you'll do X number of calls a week for X number of dollars. Do you have caller ID on your phone? Most phones have that. All you have to do at the times when you don't want to take their calls is----don't answer the call. It's that simple.

As for "empowering" our sitters, there's nothing more empowering for another person than having a warm and breathing human being who cares enough to listen and talk to them about what's concerning them. When that involves my reading the cards, well----I love reading the cards and I'm certainly happy to let them be part of the interaction with my sitter. What's even more empowering between two people is letting the Universe sit in with all Its wisdom and unconditional love and the cards provide the communication there. If the same problem is bothering the sitter as was bothering them last week, Even if that involves their love life or lack of it, then so be it. It's rarely that the exact same cards come up for the questions. "Almost the same exact cards" is not "]the same exact cards" and although they might give a similar answer, they're not going to give the exact answer if they're not the exact cards and I'm not too lazy or bored with sitters to figure out what's different this time. (Not that I'm saying others are lazy or bored if they won't, but only that I'd have to be in order to refuse.) Even if they were the exact cards, then I'd know they were important enough to stress them the second or third time.

See, when I take a deck of cards in hand and offer myself to the Universe to read for others, that commitment includes being of service to my sitters in whatever ways they need and I completely trust that the sitters I'm supposed to read for, with the questions I'm supposed to answer and the problems I'm supposed to help them with, will be presented to me.

That's just my particular position. Obviously lots of others disagree. But my position is as valid as anyone else's so I thought I should throw it in there.

Editing to add: Even though you might not have consciously offered yourself to the Universe to do this, it's my belief that the fact that you're reading for others has put it out there, anyway. Just my belief, of course.