In your language...?

Golden Moon

Do any of you feel comfortable asking your cards questions to them in your own language? I do, I always have the feeling that my cards listen to me if I speak to them in my native Spanish language. Who here feels like this?

NorthernTigress

I don't talk to my cards, and I don't pray to them either. If I'm doing a reading for myself, or a daily draw, I sometimes speak the question out loud. Since English *is* my first language, I really can't answer the rest of the question.

However, if I was doing a reading for another person, and they spoke another language (that I also can speak!) I would be fairly comfortable doing the reading in that language.

Grizabella

I don't pray to or talk to my cards, either, or talk to them. And I only know one language, anyway, so I guess it wouldn't really matter. :)

Nevada

I don't talk or pray to my cards. To me they're just paper and ink. I talk or pray to my guides, angels, ancestors, higher power, etc. for guidance both in laying out the cards and interpreting them. But yes, it would always likely be my preference to do that in my native language, even if I was bi-lingual, which I'm not. If I were reading for someone else, I doubt I'd do that out loud though. It doesn't concern the other person, it's personal to me. In fact I don't do that out loud when I'm alone, just sort of mentally to myself, or maybe in a murmur.

moderndayruth

Golden Moon said:
Do any of you feel comfortable asking your cards questions or pray to them in your own language?
I don't pray to cards, neither do i feel i am asking the cards the questions - to me, they are like a tool for communication to something much bigger... like, when you talk to someone you love and respect on the phone - i see the cards, metaphorically speaking, as the telephone itself, just a thing that enables me the connection, see what i mean?
Now, that power on the other side of the 'line' is a polyglot, so all the languages are fine. ;)

Golden Moon said:
I do, I always have the feeling that my cards listen to me if I speak to them in my native language. Who here feels like this?
I believe you should continue practice whatever makes you connect to your higher self/ Universe whatever/whomever you feel you are connecting to with the cards... its amazing though when the words stop, there are those wordless moments of silence and awe - the most empowering ones in my experience...

Milfoil

Golden Moon said:
Do any of you feel comfortable asking your cards questions or pray to them in your own language? I do, I always have the feeling that my cards listen to me if I speak to them in my native language. Who here feels like this?

Although I don't talk to or pray to my cards as such, I do recognise that all things have a presence; a spirit as such. From the smallest grain of sand to the highest mountain. One deck in particular does seem to respond to my emotional energy so you could say that it answers me.

I guess there is a distinction between acknowledging the deck as an entity in itself and the Universal power behind the deck. The two are distinct yet inseparable.

Yasmin

Well, it's kinda hard because my cards speak French or German and only broken English and I only know bits of Spanish and absolutely no French or German so neither of us talk to one another. The cards only get frustrated and turn the other way--uttering something unintelligible. Usually, the cards straighten up when I threaten to pull out another deck. Eventually, we kiss and make up and then the real speaking begins...the language of tarot. :D

sorry--couldn't help myself :D

MareSaturni

I'll normally ask the question in portuguese rather than in english, but since I think in english very often, sometimes when I'm reading to myself I'll do the reading in english too. And sometimes I'll mix both in my mind!

However, portuguese always sounds more sincere to me... closer to my feelings. I guess it's because it is my first language. :)

pasara

The images of the cards are the language they speak. You can ask your question in any language you like.

stardancer12

I would speak to my cards in native language, but it was lost so many years ago, (Lumbee Indian). We had a mix language of english and our native toungure, english finally took hold. But I feel the cards speak to in their own specail way.