Fixing tarot boxes

moonmorgan

Anyone know the best way to repair ripped bits on the cardboard boxes decks come in?

Need to do a bit of conservation work on 2nd hand one I bought off evilbay, and I vaguely remember reading something about NOT using certain brands of adhesive tape, but really don't know any good alternatives to attach the flappy fold over bits at the top (which have come off).

(Need to bear in mind that I'm hoping that my great, great, great, great,great, great grandchildren are going to auction off 'Isismoon-the-Wise's' tarot collection at Sotherby's for a vast sum in the very distant future, and I don't want them to loose a few coppers because of a botched repair job :joke:)

nisaba

moonmorgan said:
Anyone know the best way to repair ripped bits on the cardboard boxes decks come in?
Cardboard boxes that have fold-in bits to close them always die through time, no matter how careful you are with them.

I prefer hinged boxes held closed by magnets such as on the Tarot of Dreams or Major Tom's Marseilles, or two-part slide-on boxes such as on the original edition Quantum.

Bags were invented by people whose lippy boxes fell apart.

Carla

moonmorgan said:

Need to do a bit of conservation work on 2nd hand one I bought off evilbay, and I vaguely remember reading something about NOT using certain brands of adhesive tape, but really don't know any good alternatives to attach the flappy fold over bits at the top (which have come off).

(Need to bear in mind that I'm hoping that my great, great, great, great,great, great grandchildren are going to auction off 'Isismoon-the-Wise's' tarot collection at Sotherby's for a vast sum in the very distant future, and I don't want them to loose a few coppers because of a botched repair job :joke:)

Maybe if you want to preserve the box you could put it in storage and keep your deck in a bag.

Milfoil

See if you can get hold of some bookbinders glue and some of that open weave (gauze) bandage (no the stretchy stuff or crepe) you get in first aid kits then very carefully, perhaps using a toothpick or similar, apply a thin layer of glue to the inside, followed by laying down the piece of gauze (pre cut to size) and pressing down to ensure all areas are in contact with the glue. Leave to dry.

Some people advocate the use of clear nail polish to the outside, glossy printed, bits which have been torn, so as to protect them. Ok if you don't mind the long term (20 to 100 years hence) issues of possible degradation and chemical reaction between the nail varnish and printing inks/acid in the card etc.

bookbinders glue example

Medical gauze

Hope this helps.

moonmorgan

Thanks, Milfoil, I knew I'd seen a repair like this, but didn't know how it was done - assumed it must be some kind of tape on a roll, but will give this a go.

I know bags are pretty (and functional) but I like boxes for storage (all lined up, in category order, then size order, and. if possible, alphabetical order..........)

I need to get out more.........

Thanks again for all your replies :)

Emily

There is clear book binding tape you can buy - Amazon have some of it in. Scotch do it. I've seen a book thats been repaired with this tape, I've never used it though, and it holds the pages better than sellotape, its acid free and should last for years. So for the flaps of the cardboard box, it should be flexible enough to give protection.

Orenda

I have used the Scotch wide-tape (looks like a packing tape, but slightly less wide on a spool with cutting edge) and it was phenomenal! It was easy to cut and maneuver, did not take on finger prints well (good thing if you are chopping it up) and was stiff enough to go over a corner without falling into place. I was then able to work it into place, and it went completely clear when I was finished. It is very hard to see it there, and has not yellowed, cracked, or lifted either!

My friend has a roll right now, but will have to ask what the branding name on this 3M Scotch product says in order for you to find it easily :p

cardlady22

I use the Scotch (packaging) or even the ReadyPost product from the USPS.
1.88" x 800" rolls (48mm x 20.3m)
The way I wrap it is not good for resale value, but it keeps things in place.

I use it on the spines of books too. So far, no yellowing or peeling for a little over 10 years.

Taamar

Cut one of the side seams, iron damaged edges flat. Lay carefully on a sheet of sticky lamination and cut out, leaving a flap to tape the box shut.

Please note, this is NOT an archival solution; the laminate will yellow over time, but at least it will yellow evenly.

Grizabella

Packaging tape like cardlady said is what I'd use. But I just don't get precious about the boxes. If you want them to stay like new, then put them away and don't use the deck at all. If you use the deck or you bought a damaged box, then fixing it is just going to ruin the value unless it's 200 years from now when having any box at all for it will matter, no matter what the condition.