tarotist title

guy bannik

I was wondering: is tarotist an official titel or can anyone call themselves a tarotist?

Golden Moon

guy bannik said:
I was wondering: is tarotist an official title or can anyone call themselves a tarotist?
I believe so. It would be as saying, psychologist or pathologist. Tarotist would not sound right. But if you give this title to yourself, you'd have to explain to people what it means. Cartomancer would be appropriate.

Yasmin

Just don't say it at the airport :D

pandan49

Just don't say it at the airport

or you could wind up as the Elmer Fudd tewwowist

Grizabella

ROFL! Good thought! I wouldn't have thought of it and would probably end up sitting in jail. That's if I flew----which I don't----but if I did----

Rosanne

Hi guy bannik!

I think you ask an interesting question (all jokes aside) :D

If you look at the suffix ist there are several ways to look at it.
I personally do not like cartomancer,because that appears only to show Fortune telling with playing cards generally.

So if you use a thing like Violin you become a Violinist, or a car- a Motorist- mostly in English these things do not end with T. Somehow Tarotist when read looks like taro-tist, when, spoken is is Taro-ist. It is also used when expressing an adherence to a creed and more likely accepted outside this forum that way; communist- Marxist-liberalist etc. It is also used when you identify yourself with a product like Tobacconist- note none of these end with T. I think although it is generally accepted- especially amongst those who use Tarot, I personally think it clumsy.

I wonder if it is more useful to say Tarotcian
Cian as suffix means having a skill or art as in Beautician or Physician
That's my thoughts anyway. It sounds so much better.

~Rosanne

nisaba

I'm thinking of making myself a tee-shirt especially for visits to airports, military bases and such-like places:

WARNING!
Tea drinking
Soy-milk using
Hippy oldie
Peace junkie
crocheting
Terrorist

(Hippy, of course, refers to my hips).

tarotmama

I like "tarot consultant" or simply "card reader" myself.

Tarotist and cartomancer seem to confuse the general public.