Deck buyers anonymous?

Carla

Is there a thread around here somewhere where we can pledge not to buy a deck for a certain amount of time, and check in? I also frequent a website for people who enjoy home workout DVDs (videofitness.com), where we affectionately call ourselves 'vidiots' and there is a vidiots anonymous check-in.

I have purchased so many decks and tarot bags this month it's a bit embarrassing, plus joined this site AND signed up for the UK Tarot Conference in London in October. I need to make some sort of pledge to lay off for a while or I am going to be in dire straits!

I'm going to pledge to not buy any new decks until the conference in October (when I will surely end up buying something). I will allow myself to trade, but no more buying for the next 12 weeks. That is a loooong time. I think I can do it...

AJ

There are probably a dozen threads along these lines, probably in chat or maybe talking tarot. Problem is no matter how sincerely started, they always veer off into nudge nudge wink wink laugh laugh land.

If you'd like I can dog your footsteps around AT and leap out shouting mad vile things every time you mention a new deck :)

Vesper

'Tis true, I'm afraid.

The closest thing to temperance here is the De-Enabling Thread.

Though I don't see why you couldn't start your own thread, in Talking Tarot perhaps. Maybe a mod will take up your cause and threaten a post deletion if anyone starts the nudge nudge wink wink deck enabling again.

Carla

AJ said:
There are probably a dozen threads along these lines, probably in chat or maybe talking tarot. Problem is no matter how sincerely started, they always veer off into nudge nudge wink wink laugh laugh land.

If you'd like I can dog your footsteps around AT and leap out shouting mad vile things every time you mention a new deck :)

LOL! AJ, that would be helpful. My own Jiminy Cricket. It reminds me of this friend of mine at work, I asked her to help me avoid chocolate so she decided that I should think of a piece of chocolate as a dog turd. And every time she saw me looking at or about to pick up a piece of chocolate she would yell, 'Dog turd!' It did help for a while. ha ha :)

I do think a 'you really don't need anything, go play with the stuff you've already got' thread, with strict mod control would be a nice thing to have around here.

Rosanne

We have a rule in our house that you nominate the purchase and you are not allowed to buy it for 7 days.
That allows for mind changes, no money, saving for etc etc. It works- but it is a pain in the.....I have tried to sneak things by, but someone always finds out.
Then you are stuck with embarrassing explanations. Like I WANTED IT!

Or you could treat a thread like the notice board in our bathroom.
Write on the thread what you wanted and each week check in to say you have not purchased it. You will find after 12 weeks you really did not want it after all.(hopefully :D)
Good luck! and hide your Tarot credit card.

~Rosanne

nisaba

AJ said:
I can dog your footsteps around AT and leap out shouting mad vile things
<irrepressible fitz of gigglez>

Muir Aingeal

Rosanne said:
We have a rule in our house that you nominate the purchase and you are not allowed to buy it for 7 days.
That allows for mind changes, no money, saving for etc etc. It works- but it is a pain in the.....I have tried to sneak things by, but someone always finds out.
Then you are stuck with embarrassing explanations. Like I WANTED IT!

This sounds like a good idea! I just purchased the Celestial on a whim and now I'm wondering what I've just done :(

Carla

Muir Aingeal said:
This sounds like a good idea! I just purchased the Celestial on a whim and now I'm wondering what I've just done :(

I saw you asking about it and asking to be enabled! You can always go back and cancel it before it ships. ...

ETA--Oh it was a different one you wanted enabling on. LOL See, we need a thread I tell you!

Yasmin

You've heard of the 12 step program? Well, regarding tarot related purchases, they have come up with the 1 step program.

Step 1: Unplug your computer.

The end.

:D :D

Carla

Yasmin said:
You've heard of the 12 step program? Well, regarding tarot related purchases, they have come up with the 1 step program.

Step 1: Unplug your computer.

The end.

:D :D

Nooo! I can't do that. Oh my gosh. Thinking of it just gave me shakes. Blurgh!