How many clients initially?

LilyUK

Hi everyone
I realise I haven't posted very much here but I would be hugely grateful for some advice. I have been working with Tarot for 27 years. Years ago I was self employed but working on the phone lines which I really didn't enjoy. I learned a lot fast - and then got burnt out just as fast.

Now I have a huge calling to go back to doing tarot readings again as well as my astrology. I have a website, love to write and understand the marketing side as in how to market but don't understand how you can figure out how many clients you might get...

I'm looking to leave my dayjob (ughh get me outta there!) next April and jump straight into being an astrological/tarot consultant but I am going to start advertising now to read via email in the meantime. However, my difficulty is estimating how many clients I may feasibly get in a week at the beginning.

I realise this is perhaps quite a personal question to ask but I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect? Is one client a week feasible to start with? I don't mind how long it takes to build, just as long as I'm doing it but I'm trying to figure out a business plan...

I get the feeling it may be a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but I thought I'd ask those who are already on the path :)

franniee

Well I can tell you how it has gone for me ... maybe that will help?

I think I went full pro a few years ago. At the time I had friends and family that I read for and of course my hair dresser etc. I would also play in bars and bring my cards and read for whoever wanted to play. }) But when I went pro I immediately sent out an e-mailing to everyone I knew telling them what I was up to and telling them I read at parties etc.... hoping to book some... Through the parties I gathered clients.

I got a few gigs at tea shops, coffee houses and a metaphysical shop. From each of the places I worked I gathered clients. I taught a class in the meta shop on how to read tarot and a divination class and I picked up clients there as well. I am currently teaching a class at my house. My clients refer me to their friends and so it goes. I will give out gift certificates at parties and functions for a free reading and such - I do a lot of marketing and promotions. I volunteer at charity functions sometimes on facebook I will offer free readings.

I tried 2 phone sites but they did nothing for me.

It's been a slow growth. I always carry business cards and I hand them out liberally!

I think it all depends on how much you are hoping to make. The combo of tarot and astrology is good. People like that. It might bring you more business.

LilyUK

Re: How many clients...

Hi franniee
Thanks for your reply and generous sharing of experience:) It is always good to hear other people's stories. You sound a lot more 'hand's on' than I am (i.e. face to face lol) but it is also something I will consider as time goes on.
Teaching is something I enjoy and I've been thinking about putting together a class as well. I think when it comes down to it I have to make a leap of faith and just do it else I'm never going to know how it'll work out!

Think it's time to get those business cards sorted x

franniee

Definitely get the business cards first and the website. Then really hand them out. You could teach astrology. That would be a wonderful class - so many of my clients ask me about it. I have an intermediate knowledge of it and by no means can call myself an astrologer but I can give them an idea of this or that and the means to look it up etc. I think this is your hook.... and not in the seedy way it sounds. :D

The f2f works because people relate better to it. I don't need to be f2f but I think they do sometimes - it makes them feel you are doing something. Whatever! :)

Good luck!!

LilyUK

Re: How many clients...

Hi Frannie
Lol - no seediness intended haha.
I'd like to teach astrology too. I think I need to clone myself so I can do all the things i'd like to do and study all the books I want to study :)

I'll let you know how it goes x

franniee

It will keep you busy but it is all fun! Follow your bliss!