online reading - it's not for everyone?

papercut

I have recently started exchanging readings online with a friend. She is a very good tarot reader with a lot of experience. She does amazing readings for herself and is very good at predictive readings.

But ... she really struggles with online readings. So far she has been wildly off base with the readings she has done for me. It's become a bit of a joke between us.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this? I certainly find reading face to face easier than reading online myself, but I've never come across someone who is so good at face to face readings but so off base with online readings.

(btw, she cant remember if she is a member of this forum or not, but I mentioned I might make a post about this. She might join us in this thread if she can remember her login or decides to sign up)

Ambergree

maybe she's better off talking back and forth with a person about the reading?

I myself prefer either face to face or skype voice chat readings. That way I can work out the reading with the sitter.

I'm relatively new, so it helps me when I get immediate discussion and feedback from the sitter as I am interpreting the cards.

214red

i think you can always be able to do both, but sometimes one comes more easier then the other, one way we might have to work harder at. I do think if your reading professionally you should ahve tried all ways of reading (online, email, face to face etc) before they start charging

akirafist

I've done about 50 YouTube readings on my channel, and it just takes practice. My first readings were horrific, but they've gotten much better over time. Just tell her to keep at it, don't get discouraged. Like all things, mastery comes with repetition.

Ambergree

akirafist said:
I've done about 50 YouTube readings on my channel, and it just takes practice. My first readings were horrific, but they've gotten much better over time. Just tell her to keep at it, don't get discouraged. Like all things, mastery comes with repetition.

Youtube readings?

Like, private videos for people?

Sounds awesome

Sophie

That's very odd! I've never heard about such discrepancy between online and face-to-face. I prefer an interactive reading, so even when I read online I often do it by Skype or MSN chat (these leave a written trace for the querent), but if I have to do it by email, that's fine.

I wonder if the pressure of having to write something is getting to her - she can't flow as easily as when she is talking. Perhaps akirafirst is right and it would just take a lot of practice.

starrystarrynight

Maybe she is picking up "tells" from her sitters when reading face to face that help steer her readings. Online, there are no hints to be accessed, and all you have is the spread in front of you (makes it a lot more daunting, in my opinion! :) )

She might benefit a lot in doing online spreads by exchanging readings in the Reader's Exchange forum here at AT. The beauty of it is that you can get unlimited practice here...and as akirafist says, lots of practice can only help.

BelovedK

I find email readings daunting, but that is why I like them. I love practicing here on willing subjects ;) It is easier to doubt yourself online, but less so F2F because you do get that input (nonverbal plus verbal)

I love, love, love doing F2F readings though, I feel really connected to the querent, no matter who they are, unless of course, they are a skeptic :-/ and trying to "debunk" me :(

SunChariot

papercut said:
I have recently started exchanging readings online with a friend. She is a very good tarot reader with a lot of experience. She does amazing readings for herself and is very good at predictive readings.

But ... she really struggles with online readings. So far she has been wildly off base with the readings she has done for me. It's become a bit of a joke between us.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this? I certainly find reading face to face easier than reading online myself, but I've never come across someone who is so good at face to face readings but so off base with online readings.

(btw, she cant remember if she is a member of this forum or not, but I mentioned I might make a post about this. She might join us in this thread if she can remember her login or decides to sign up)

I'm actually good at online readings, but not at reading face to face. I tried it once. It was a disaster and I HATED it. It was just awful for me and the querent. Really not my cup of tea.

I think like anything in Tarot, it depends on your innate skills. Some of us are better at certain Tarot skills and some are better at others. Just as we all read differently because of who we are inside....

Your friend, from what you say, is likely reading more than the cards. She is likely reading the querent too, eg body language, facial expressions. If you normally read those and you take that away, the reading is not going to go as well. She is probably naturally empathic and connects to the querent in that way.

Again for myself I read well online, never had a problem, but don't read well in person. I find having the person there distracting. I need to close my mind and feel. Talking to someone would mess me up. LOL

We're all different as readers.:grin:

Babs