PDA

View Full Version : AAAA! Sphere addiction? ;-)

shelikes2read
30-07-2010, 13:27
I haven't actually gone hog wild BUYING mineral spheres yet, but I'm going through a phase where I'm window-shopping for them online a lot.

I've just "watched" a bunch of quartz spheres on ebay. They're just so all-fired PRETTY. :)

Just so you know: it's not only card decks that can be addicting. ;)

finaflight
30-07-2010, 13:39
I would Google, but I woould rather ask here. What are spheres?

i thought spheres was more like your surrounding area. Something like that.

shelikes2read
30-07-2010, 14:41
I would Google, but I woould rather ask here. What are spheres?

i thought spheres was more like your surrounding area. Something like that.
A sphere is another name for a ball. One site I've shopped at in the past is spherestoyou.com -- they have nothing but spheres, stands, and other items to help people display their collection.

My favorites are clear quartz spheres, the clearer the better. I love the way they catch the light.

Anyway, I've been batting around ways to increase what I offer during phone readings, things that would mesh with Tarot. And it occurred to me that I used to scry, so why not see about resurrecting that particular skill. This, in turn, brought my mind back to my modest collection of spheres.

So here I sit, reviewing quartz crystal spheres on ebay, just to see what they've got. More nice things than I've got money for, that's what they've got. ;) But I do like to window-shop, so I've been doing a lot of that online.

avalonian
30-07-2010, 19:07
Clear quartz spheres are wonderful, I have four in different sizes (did have five but gave one to my nephew), they all have lovely "rainbows" in them. I also have a couple of amethyst sphere and a fluorite. And a obsidian, come to think of it. And a calcite.

Sphere addiction? Me? Surely not.

I'm not even going to start looking on-line, it's difficult enough walking away from them in shops and at MBS shows.

:) :) :)

shelikes2read
31-07-2010, 02:47
I have a shamrock-green fluorite sphere that I find hard to stop looking at, once I start. Green is my favorite color anyway, and that one is a shade of green I find especially appealing. I also have a smaller, clear pale green flourite.that's clear other than one large rainbow veil in it.

My quartz collection consists of three natural and three reconstituted spheres, all of different sizes. Reconstituted, or smelted, or fused quartz is made by taking quartz powder and using it to "grow" perfectly clear quartz blocks in a lab. Then they are carved into shapes, including spheres, that are completely free of inclusions. Metaphysically, and chemically, it's still quartz, but financially, the items are more affordable. An optically clear medium- or large-sized natural quartz sphere will make a person's wallet go :bugeyed:.

One thing that drives me bonkers about trying to buy anything quartz these days, spheres or not, is that it's apparently acceptable to assess the quartz item's natural traits, give metaphysical names to them all, and then charge a premium for them. Thank goodness I bought the first of my spheres in 1991, before this type of pricing became the norm. It's about 2.5" in diameter, largely clear, and has a phantom quartz point in it that resembles a three-sided pyramid. If it were priced for sale in today's market, I probably couldn't afford it. It's really unfortunate that sellers are jacking up prices for a mineral that's one of the most common substances in nature. (SiO2).

It's also one of the reasons I'm window-shopping right now instead of making purchases. I'll see a photo of a very appealing item, but then I'll see the price tag and think, "Darn. That's for someone with deeper pockets than I've got", and go back to looking around. Oh, well. It's not like I have a need to greatly enlarge my current collection at the moment. I just like looking around to see if there's anything that suits both my preferences and my budget. :)

ncharge
31-07-2010, 03:03
Crystals and minerals was my first "addiction". I have a display cabinet for them, but only about 60% of the collection fits in it. I started with pillars and natural formations, went through spheres, and now collect crystal skulls (from only 1 or 2 suppliers who do them best). I have managed to get really good deals, but this additiction is FAR more expensive than tarot and I have had to clamp down on myself. I do so adore minerals. As I recall, Bonnie's spheres on ebay had some unique pieces when I was collecting. I avoid any specimin from China because of the irraditation issue.

minrice
31-07-2010, 03:33
Oooooooo! I love spheres too, I totally understand the addiction. If they weren't so expensive I'd have a ton of them by now.
I only have one that I really connected with in a metaphysical shop, it's quartz with black swirls of something in it. I really want a huge quartz crystal sphere but I have to find $200 first, lol!

canid
31-07-2010, 03:46
You're not alone...I love them too. I also collect glass paperweights & some of them are not only gorgeous but can be used for divination. I'm always looking for a good deal - once I found one (my favorite!) at GoodWill for fifty cents! I have one that has tiny gold flakes inside that's especially good for vision work, one with teensy bubbles, one has ocean blue & white swirls, a black one with gold flakes...

Mellaenn
31-07-2010, 03:54
Someone gave me a carnelian sphere a few months ago and I had a clear quartz one already. Then I visited a crystal shop in Euerka Springs, Arkansas this week and picked up a rose quartz sphere.

Hmmmm - I could be on my way to a sphere addiction myself! But they are so pretty...:)

shelikes2read
31-07-2010, 11:27
Holy Empty Wallets, Batman! Speaking of expensive crystal spheres...

http://cgi.ebay.com/111-000-TITUBA-Salem-Witch-QUARTZ-CRYSTAL-Ball-/350374629453?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5193f4904d#ht_986wt_911

$111,000 Or Best Offer.

:bugeyed: :bugeyed: :bugeyed:

I, um, definitely recommend the "or best offer" option to anyone who might be interested in this. For $111,000 you should be able to get enough quartz spheres to fill a football stadium.

The silouhette-shaped inclusion IS pretty cool. But not $111,000 worth of cool.

lark
31-07-2010, 13:30
I have 25 spheres so I guess I'm addicted...:D

ncharge
03-08-2010, 06:37
Oh, my! I have seen many people jack up their price on a piece for seemingly silly reasons, but this is outrageous! It isn't even a high quality piece of quartz.

Holy Empty Wallets, Batman! Speaking of expensive crystal spheres...

http://cgi.ebay.com/111-000-TITUBA-Salem-Witch-QUARTZ-CRYSTAL-Ball-/350374629453?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5193f4904d#ht_986wt_911

$111,000 Or Best Offer.

:bugeyed: :bugeyed: :bugeyed:

I, um, definitely recommend the "or best offer" option to anyone who might be interested in this. For $111,000 you should be able to get enough quartz spheres to fill a football stadium.

The silouhette-shaped inclusion IS pretty cool. But not $111,000 worth of cool.

punchinella
18-08-2010, 11:28
I avoid any specimin from China because of the irraditation issue.
????

Stumbling in here after 48 hrs or so of serious ebay sphere drooling . . . what do I need to watch out for? I know commercial rubies etc. are made darker by baking at high temperatures. Is there something more?

ncharge
18-08-2010, 14:15
????

Stumbling in here after 48 hrs or so of serious ebay sphere drooling . . . what do I need to watch out for? I know commercial rubies etc. are made darker by baking at high temperatures. Is there something more?

So are many citrines and some smokey quartz and amethyst and carnelian. Others are irradiated. And some are dyed. I have never had a problem with the dyed stones except for some dyed coral beads that bled on my clothes when they got wet. I'm told that we should avoid stones from China because they don't have the protection measures in place that we do and the stones may not be safe. I have no way of proving that. I juse avoid them because the only stones I bought from China weren't the same nice quality as the ones I got from other countries.

It is OK to have heated stones. It enhances the color, but doesn't change the properties. All of one of the more expensive and beautiful stones in the world - Tanzanite - gets its color from heating. All of it. And all stones are naturally a litle radioactive and irradiated stones are controlled by the Government and are held until they fall back to safe levels. Most blue topaz is irradiated because it is so rare naturally. And dying is very common as well. For instance, onyx is not naturally a black stone.

Oh, and many stones are sold as if they are natural, but they are not. A lot of beads these days are reconstituted (like a lot of turquose), there is no such thing as cherry quartz (it is basically synthetic glass) and all goldstone is man-made. And many stones are lab-grown these days, but not usually spheres or geologic specimens. Those are mostly beads and cabachons.

Just get what speaks to you.

punchinella
18-08-2010, 16:12
I'm told that we should avoid stones from China because they don't have the protection measures in place that we do and the stones may not be safe. . . .

And all stones are naturally a litle radioactive and irradiated stones are controlled by the Government and are held until they fall back to safe levels.
Thanks ncharge. So it's radiation, as in nuclear medicine/warfare/cubic zirconia creation--etc. etc. etc.--that I should worry about.

*punchinella scurries off to ebay to check for geiger counters, in preparation for local gemstone & mineral festival coming up*

*punchinella scurries back with her tail between her legs, realizing that there would be no way to know whether or not a geiger counter purchased on ebay actually worked*

nortytiger
18-08-2010, 21:00
crystals were the first thing I started "collecting" too, I didn't realise I was collecting until I had got 12 before I knew what I was doing :) I got caught in a frenzy of "got to have it NOW" and I wanted one of everything. then sense kicked in and I slowed down, you can add pieces when you see them or can afford them. My friends/family also have bought me crystals as gifts. there is no piece that is ever going to be wrong. and it doesn't matter if you have a few of the same type of crystal as they are all unique, 6 of mine are all clear quartz, but they are all different and look great together, different sizes and catching the light, glistening with sparkle and rainbows.

I also found a huge quartz pyramid 6" tall that cost me 90! that was in my favourite shop, I went in and said I could feel something "calling me" but couldn't see it in the shop, the owner took me into the back room and there was this gorgeous pyramid, calling my name. when I held it my whole arm was shaking with the vibrations from it and I knew it was mine. I believe that crystals find their home and if they are meant to be yours, you will know.

I have bought some of the internet and they look wonderful out on display and if that is what you want them for then you can't really go wrong buying what you find attractive to look at, just search for the best price and one that you like the look of.

If you want to work with them for scrying or healing/energy then my advice would be to handle them first, you will know which one to buy. though be warned if you are like me, you will want them ALL so decide which type of crystal you are looking for eg quartz, amethyst etc, set your budget before you go in and stick to it, my large (and way too expensive) quartz sphere for scrying was from a shop too and is not on display as I don't want everyone handling it.

If you can't get to a shop just take your time searching the internet. Don't panic buy, if someone else buys it before you do then it wasn't meant to be yours. there are always crytals for sale, there is no rush. again, decide what type you want, set you budget and only search for that, you will see others along the way that you like, make a note of what they are and look for that type next time.

mine are all in beautiful glass bowl all nestled together, different sizes and colours, they look gorgeous. enjoy them and don't let the search take over your life. I lost hours and days of my life on the internet. :D set a time limit for looking too. and enjoy whatever you choose as no crystal is ever the wrong one.

Le Fanu
18-08-2010, 21:16
I love spheres! And eggs!

I have a few spheres; never really counted them but here goes;

Selenite ( a large one; this was my first, from a rock fair. I just couldn't leave it there)

Large crystal, small medium crystal. I also have, in front of my obsidian mirror, 3 spheres in descending order;

large Onyx, medium "very black" obsidian, small copper.

I have loads of rocks and stuff but these, in fact, are the only spheres

ncharge
19-08-2010, 00:36
Thanks ncharge. So it's radiation, as in nuclear medicine/warfare/cubic zirconia creation--etc. etc. etc.--that I should worry about.

*punchinella scurries off to ebay to check for geiger counters, in preparation for local gemstone & mineral festival coming up*

*punchinella scurries back with her tail between her legs, realizing that there would be no way to know whether or not a geiger counter purchased on ebay actually worked*

Hah! I really don't think you have to worry about it. I have never found any reliable proof that gemstones have been released before they were safe! Just look for stones that speak to you. I can't imagine that it is a big problem. That China thing is my own neurosis.

shelikes2read
19-08-2010, 03:28
So are many citrines and some smokey quartz and amethyst and carnelian. Others are irradiated. And some are dyed. I have never had a problem with the dyed stones except for some dyed coral beads that bled on my clothes when they got wet. I'm told that we should avoid stones from China because they don't have the protection measures in place that we do and the stones may not be safe. I have no way of proving that. I juse avoid them because the only stones I bought from China weren't the same nice quality as the ones I got from other countries.

It is OK to have heated stones. It enhances the color, but doesn't change the properties. All of one of the more expensive and beautiful stones in the world - Tanzanite - gets its color from heating. All of it. And all stones are naturally a litle radioactive and irradiated stones are controlled by the Government and are held until they fall back to safe levels. Most blue topaz is irradiated because it is so rare naturally. And dying is very common as well. For instance, onyx is not naturally a black stone.

Oh, and many stones are sold as if they are natural, but they are not. A lot of beads these days are reconstituted (like a lot of turquose), there is no such thing as cherry quartz (it is basically synthetic glass) and all goldstone is man-made. And many stones are lab-grown these days, but not usually spheres or geologic specimens. Those are mostly beads and cabachons.

Just get what speaks to you.

One thing I remember reading a while ago is that if something marked as "citrine" is dark brown, instead of pale yellow, it's most likely to be a former amethyst that was heated until it changed color. So choose citrines accordingly.

I notice a lot of larger, inclusion-free quartz spheres are lab grown/smelted. They're made when quartz powder is somehow heated, melted, or induced in some other way to grow into a block of quartz in a lab. That's fine by me, as it's still quartz and it allows for affordable larger, optically clear spheres. A natural inclusion-free quartz sphere that's 3" or larger would cost more than I (and a lot of us) could afford. So bring on the lab-grown quartz. :)

ncharge
19-08-2010, 04:52
A natural inclusion-free quartz sphere that's 3" or larger would cost more than I (and a lot of us) could afford. So bring on the lab-grown quartz. :)

I actually prefer inclusions, planes, and mist. I think they give the crystal character. And my one truly successful attempt at scrying took place in a crystal with planes. They seem to give the stone depth that I can fall into!

canid
19-08-2010, 05:32
I actually prefer inclusions, planes, and mist. I think they give the crystal character. And my one truly successful attempt at scrying took place in a crystal with planes. They seem to give the stone depth that I can fall into!

I do too. I especially like 'bubbles'. Some unique patterns can be seen. Also, a lot of 'crystal balls' are actually glass; unless it's advertised as quartz, it's probably glass. Which is OK too; glass is a natural substance & can be used for scrying or other purposes. I have both. I prefer my quartz ball, but I've not noticed that it's because it's 'better' for scrying, I just love looking at it & realizing how many millions of years old it is.

punchinella
19-08-2010, 05:38
That China thing is my own neurosis.
Nope, now it's mine too . . . I'm too Virgoan to let something like that go :|

One thing I remember reading awhile ago is that if something marked as "citrine" is dark brown, instead of pale yellow, it's most likely to be a former amethyst that was heated until it changed color. So choose citrines accordingly.
Thanks for this--I'm actually on the lookout for a citrine egg, and have never gotten on with amethyst. Imagine--ordering citrine online, only to find that for reasons unknown my new acquisition hated me.

It's good to find I'm not the only one with a sphere/egg obsession. I've always liked them, more than pointed crystals, and I'm not sure why. Right now I'm working on a set of twelve significators for readings based on sun signs, which ideally would be as follows:

Aries--Picture Jasper or (warm-colored) Rhodochrosite egg
Taurus--Chiastolite sphere
Gemini--Citrine egg
Cancer--Rose Quartz sphere
Leo--Carnelian sphere
Virgo--Smokey Quartz egg
Libra--Lapis Lazuli or Hemimorphite sphere
Scorpio--Charoite or Sugilite egg (well, really, I suppose it ought to be Amethyst)
Saggitarius--Stromatolite sphere
Capricorn--Jet, Black Obsidian, or Black Tourmaline sphere
Aquarius--Dark Sodalite egg
Pisces--Chrysocolla sphere

How's that for an enabling concept :(

I have a preliminary zodiac set up already, only a lot of the stones are wrong. Ah for $$$$.

shelikes2read
19-08-2010, 08:30
I have both kinds, so I can definitely see the advantages of having inclusions AND having an optically clear sphere to work with. I think I posted a picture of my first quartz sphere a long time ago. I'll have to take another image of it, now that I have better cameras to use. But it's got a phantom quartz point in it that makes it appear to contain an off-center, three-sided pyramid. I think the rock shop guy got a little mad when someone actually BOUGHT it, as I could tell it was a favorite of his. On the other hand, I think it must have been one of those "meant for me to find it" moments, because for all that the rock shop guy liked the sphere so much, he had ample opportunity to purchase it himself and he never did.

I have another sphere from mineralminers.com that was listed as an "elestial" quartz sphere. I'm still not entirely sure how they determined that about it. But *I* determined, on seeing its inclusions that reminded me of mountains, that it was a sphere I needed to get. :) Now what I really, really need is a sphere stand that looks like mountain peaks. For all the nature-like sphere stands that I've seen (dolphins, elephants, cobras, cats, and others), it's a disappointment to me that I've never seen a sphere stand made of mountain peaks. THAT would just rock. And it'd rock even better with this particular sphere on it.

But I digress. In short, I can definitely see the ways that inclusions would add appeal to a sphere, as they were the driving force behind my purchasing my first two spheres.

But optically clear spheres are very pleasing to the eye, too. They just have that "Ooooh, pretty!" factor going for them that I really love. (My WALLET might not love it so much, but my eyes sure do. :D)

ncharge
19-08-2010, 13:27
But *I* determined, on seeing its inclusions that reminded me of mountains, that it was a sphere I needed to get. :)

One of my first spheres was a flourite in greens, blues and purples. It, too, has a mountain landscape in it - the green is the sky, the purples are mountains and the blues are the land. It is awesome. I also have a quartz point (about 3" tall and a little wider) with a tree in it. Another tall skinny obelisk with a meadow (grasses and butterflies). And I have an awesome citrine with an angel whose wings are spread and cast rainbows. She sits next to me on my desk. I really have to post some pictures if I can get some good ones.

punchinella
19-08-2010, 13:31
Yes yes!! Pictures pictures!! :party: :party: :party:

shelikes2read
19-08-2010, 17:33
Edit: My photos were too big to attach, so I uploaded them to photobucket.

The Phantom Sphere is about 2" in diameter, maybe slightly less. The phantom is the shape of a quartz point. There are actually several layers of phantoms nested in one another, so the crystal evidently stopped growing several times during its formation.

The Elestial Sphere is about 2.76" in diameter. It's the reason I looked up the term "elestial", and I'm still not entirely sure why or how mineralminers.com knew to class it as an elestial specimen. But I was fascinated by the inclusions which remind me of mountains. I'm still looking for a sphere stand with a mountain theme, but until I find one, I have a wooden stand for it.

For both spheres, if I want to scry and have my eye notice or focus on the inclusions, I use a black cloth under them. If I don't want to focus on the inclusions, I use a white cloth so they're less visible.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx324/likes2read/PhantomSphere.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx324/likes2read/ElestialSphere.jpg

ncharge
20-08-2010, 01:26
Oh, those are gorgeous! I will post photos this weekend. Now, I have to share, too!

Oh, and check this out: http://www.majestic-quartz.com/what-is-a-elestial.html. I think you have a doorway or skeletal elestial.

canid
20-08-2010, 04:30
Oh, those are gorgeous! I will post photos this weekend. Now, I have to share, too!

Oh, and check this out: http://www.majestic-quartz.com/what-is-a-elestial.html. I think you have a doorway or skeletal elestial.

I had to look it up too. Awesome! Now I'm wondering what mine is. It has rutile inclusions all through it & other inclusions that are orangy in color & look like fairies or angels. There's one that looks like a Victorian woman, & lots of tiny bubbles on one side. I'm googling to learn the names.

punchinella
20-08-2010, 05:25
The Phantom Sphere is about 2" in diameter, maybe slightly less. The phantom is the shape of a quartz point. There are actually several layers of phantoms nested in one another, so the crystal evidently stopped growing several times during its formation.
Er, at the risk of seeming a complete fool . . . is this the first one? The one with the white pyramid/single mountain landscape inside?

(It is beautiful . . . )

I read the elestial link and I'm still confused as to a precise definition :laugh:

Now, like canid, I'm also running off to check the inclusions in my own spheres.

ncharge
20-08-2010, 05:54
Elestial Quartz is the name given quartz that is formed with terminations or points covering every surface in a layered or etched pattern. This layered or etched pattern can also appear within the crystal, where they often look like skeleton bones. It is really just a name for a particular growth pattern of the crystal.

Of course, spheres have these distinctive patterns cut off to form the sphere. Her sphere has an internal mark that someone decided was elestial. Truly, only the person who saw the original piece, before it was shaped, would know for sure on this one. The bubbles in a specific pattern are a clue about what the crystal looked like before carving.

punchinella
20-08-2010, 06:14
Hmmn. Thanks ncharge.

canid
20-08-2010, 06:18
Elestial Quartz is the name given quartz that is formed with terminations or points covering every surface in a layered or etched pattern. This layered or etched pattern can also appear within the crystal, where they often look like skeleton bones. It is really just a name for a particular growth pattern of the crystal.

Of course, spheres have these distinctive patterns cut off to form the sphere. Her sphere has an internal mark that someone decided was elestial. Truly, only the person who saw the original piece, before it was shaped, would know for sure on this one. The bubbles in a specific pattern are a clue about what the crystal looked like before carving.

I understand all that, the growth patterns; I'm just having a hard time getting a visual as to how it would appear in a sphere. The bubbles in my sphere aren't IN a specific pattern, they're on one side, it's just that I 'see' patterns in the bubbles, kinda like how you'd 'see' images in the ceiling at the dentist. I wish I knew what to call the other inclusions - I can best describe them as flat areas within the ball that deflect light, similar to pieces of micah, that interrupted the crystaline growth. ?? Either from pressure, friction, heat, etc?

ncharge
20-08-2010, 06:25
Oh! That's because your only seeing a small piece of the pattern. Not enough to actually determine the full pattern. Same thing for this small pillar (first one) at this link:

http://www.mineralminers.com/html/rkxpolx.stm

I think they do elestial quartz a real diservice when they carve off all of the things that make an elestial quartz an elestial quartz. They also create an environment for fraud. For instance, I have a quartz sphere that the sellers said is lemurian. Without the distinctive notches on it, how do I really know that? It looks amazingly like an elestial quartz. Or a plain old quartz with fractures and planes. I have meditated with it and I think they are telling me the truth, but why do that? It irritates me.

thinbuddha
20-08-2010, 06:37
Natural quartz spheres are probably a bigger passion of mine than tarot decks. I have a very small collection of high quality spheres that I've spent maybe $800 collecting. Most of them were purchased on ebay. There is a seller from Brazil who used to have the most amazing spheres for reasonable prices. Seriously: a high quality sphere of around 4 inch diameter for less than $200, including shipping (he currently has a nice smokey quartz sphere that roughly fits this description).... He still has some good stuff for good prices, but the real amazing larger clear quartz spheres seem to be a thing of the not too distant past.

Perhaps if the economy speeds up again, more larger spheres will be made available (?) I would love something of around 6-8 inches. That said, my favorite sphere is my smallest: right at 4 inches, it is so radiant that it demands my attention no matter where I place it.

punchinella
20-08-2010, 06:43
I wish I knew what to call the other inclusions - I can best describe them as flat areas within the ball that deflect light, similar to pieces of micah, that interrupted the crystaline growth. ?? Either from pressure, friction, heat, etc?
My smoky quartz ball has things just like these, and I've always assumed they were internal fractures. They are flat planes that reflect light in a prismatic way, i.e. send out rainbows.

alesia
20-08-2010, 07:24
Has anyone here tried making their own (http://www.dorodango.com/about.html)? It might cut down on expenses, at the least. :)

I kinda want to make one to scry with (perfect for someone with a DIY-mentality and low budget), but so many projects, so little time, and I've got a perfectly serviceable black mirror already...

ncharge
20-08-2010, 07:57
Has anyone here tried making their own (http://www.dorodango.com/about.html)? It might cut down on expenses, at the least. :)

I saw this process on Mythbusters! That's the show that tests urban legends, myths, etc. They used it to test the old saying that you can't polish sh**. And found out that you can!

Anyway, I did buy a sheet of perfectly clear selenite and I am trying to make selenite blades. I created one test blade, but it lost its shine in the shaping process. I'm going to try various polishing compounds to bring it back. If that works, I'll make a larger one.

punchinella
20-08-2010, 08:14
That is seriously cool. A must try. On the other hand, I have the feeling it's harder than it looks. And, it looks pretty darn hard.

thinbuddha
21-08-2010, 06:33
Has anyone here tried making their own (http://www.dorodango.com/about.html)?

You have just made my day. Also, you now owe me how ever many hours of free time this ends up using in my life. :)

canid
21-08-2010, 06:45
You have just made my day. Also, you now owe me how ever many hours of free time this ends up using in my life. :)

Yes, thank you Alesia. I think. I need another hobby. Do you all know how HARD it is to get something that shiny? Even with a power tool? I may, however, give it a shot. Hmm...I have a lot of horse doo...

thinbuddha
21-08-2010, 07:48
Hmm...I have a lot of horse doo...

It's been done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI)

punchinella
22-08-2010, 13:55
At the local festival today I purchased: 2" spheres in rose quartz, Picasso jasper, tiger iron, aventurine, and something unidentified which looks like another kind of (pinkish gray) jasper. I also bought a smaller sphere which is supposedly "Russian jade," although I'm suspicious. (It was, for one thing, far too cheap.) I also bought--gulp--a 3+" pyrite sphere, and--gulp again--a massive 4" sodalite sphere. And, finally, a pretty little unidentified egg in a banded orangey-red color.

Altogether, the expenditure was horrifying. The day was just so decadent.

Shelikes2read, why oh why did you have to start this thread, chalk-full of serious enablement :D

ETA: my judgment, oh my judgment

minrice
30-09-2011, 06:36
Just dragging this thread out again because it's so great. I need to post a pic of my favorite sphere. I have a natural quartz sphere that is my prized possession, it is about 3.5" and it is just beautiful. Sometimes I sleep with it which makes my husband mad when he rolls over on it unexpectedly Mwahahaha!

Bhavana
30-09-2011, 10:29
oooh where has this thread been? Thanks for digging it out!

I have a modest collection, not sure how they are measured, but my largest is a rose quartz, about 7 inches around. I paid $10 for it from a guy who sells at a local outdoor flea market. His prices are very low. I am fortunate (??) enough to live near a place called "Gary's Gem Garden" which is 1/4 jewelry store, 1/4 sphere, eggs, carved animals, and other assorted polished stuff store, 1/2 rock and crystal store. Oh yeah, they have shells too. A huge and amazing place. The spheres and carved items are just too expensive though. The other day I asked for a price on a pink calcite sphere (to die for) that was smaller than my above mentioned rose quartz, and it was $60.

Mostly, I pick up spheres when I find them for good prices - which isn't that often. I've never paid more than $25-ish. Right now I have my eye on a nice size solid blue angelite sphere at a new age yoga shop near me. No doubt i'd have dozens if I could afford every one I have wanted!

PS - we need more photos here...and look at this one thats on ebay right now, for you purple lovers...sooo pretty! How do you all measure these spheres? I can't figure out what half the sizes are that i look at, and there are so many sizes...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-Charoite-Gorgeous-LARGE-Gemstone-Sphere-Ball-/120767092485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e479705#ht_3821wt_698

thinbuddha
01-10-2011, 10:01
How do you all measure these spheres?

Generally, they are measured using the diameter. It's a bit tricky to do without calipers, but you can get a rough idea by eyeballing it next to a measuring stick.

Edit:
That Charoite sphere is beautiful, but the price seems crazy! I don't know anything about charoite, but I doubt if it is worth that price for such a small sphere.

shelikes2read
02-10-2011, 03:42
Here's the sphere I've been wearing since I made the pendant in July. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/Gabey8/add964ff.jpg

Sphere pendants are another item I hope to put up on Etsy.com, along with the wands (see the "chakra balancing wand" thread). This one has yellow brass wire. I also have copper, silver-plated copper, and green-enameled copper wire, so there'll be a variety of items when all is said and done.

Le Fanu
16-12-2011, 10:58
Should update my sphere list. I now have a BIG gold sheen Obsidian sphere and a smaller (but still medium sized) one. Both gorgeous and I have a carved jade stand for each of them.

Then I have a medium crystal ball to go with my big and small one.

Also a Jaspar and hematite sphere, both rocks together, entwined and swirly.

Funy, I have them all out on the bookcase and everyone who comes into my house just wants to hold them. It's wonderful to see their effect on people!

dicey
08-01-2012, 16:01
After reading Shelikes2read post, I came upon a store that sells spheres. I suddenly find myself purchasing a "big" Citrine & Cherry Quartz, a smaller Cat's Eye & Sodalite, and a much much smaller Jasper & Amber.

Of course, I realized that I already spent so much when I bought most of the spheres in the little store.

So to make myself feel better, as soon as I got home, I cleansed my Citrine sphere & programmed it for wealth and prosperity. (So I could recoup what I spent)

poopsie
08-01-2012, 18:16
Nice one, Dicey ... at least you are programming your spheres and crystals to get a return on investment, or shall we put it another way - blessings and abundance.

I, too believe in the energies of the spheres and crystals since I've had quite good experience with them.