Pronunciation?

FadeToWhite

(I'm sorry for posting so many threads recently - I am new to the forum and to Tarot and I have so many questions!)

I have a couple of pronunciation questions. I'm not sure how to pronounce these things, because for a long time, my only source of knowledge was from books - never spoken word. I didn't find a Tarot meetup until very recently. So I have questions about two words.

Tarot: Yes, it's true, I don't know how to properly pronounce Tarot. Is it "TAR-oh" or "tah-ROH"? In other words, is the emphasis on the first or second syllable? I used to say "tah-ROH" but everyone in my Tarot group calls it "TAR-oh."

Hierophant: Is this pronounced "HY-ro-phant" or "HEE-ro-phant?" I've heard both from different people.

-FadeToWhite

gregory

I'd have said higher-o-fant, myself. With the higher being one syllable, if you see what I mean. But canid's way explains to me why so many US small market or self-published decks spell it wrong :D (Heirophant - which is incorrect no matter how you say it !!!)

I used to say tarrot (like carrot !) just to annoy, but I grew out of it :D I'm a stress on first syllable, myself - but one of my best mates here is the other way.

kaesrel

Oh my god, I just realized I've been saying Tarot wrong this WHOLE TIME. *ashamed*

gregory

Why - what did you say - and who is to SAY it's wrong ? I have nothing against tarrot as a pronunciation; it is just that it annoys people I know }) (looks for dictionary and realises it has gone AWOL...)

Taamar

HIGH ro fahnt. Like hierarchy, from the same root 'hier' meaning 'holy'.

Le Fanu

I saw Tarot to rhyme with barrow (stress on the first syllable)

I say Hierophant like "here-o-fant" with stress on the "here". Almost sounds like elephant which - to me - explains those elephants on the Hierophant's throne in the Thoth. :D

And - yes - tarot as in carrot whould annoy me. Please don't do it near me, gregory ;)

Carla

I say HIRE-oh-fant and TERR-oh, but those could just be down to my southern accent.

gregory

Le Fanu said:
I saw Tarot to rhyme with barrow (stress on the first syllable)

I say Hierophant like "here-o-fant" with stress on the "here". Almost sounds like elephant which - to me - explains those elephants on the Hierophant's throne in the Thoth. :D

And - yes - tarot as in carrot would annoy me. Please don't do it near me, gregory ;)
Enjoy. Not to mention this which should cheer you up !