reading at the annual eagle pow wow,2010, third year

HOLMES

this year was harder for everyone as word got around that attendence was way down. in general that makes it harder for everyone..
1. there wasn't as many drums or singers the first day
2. there wasn't as many dancers the first day ,, which leads to disappointing hearts for those who look forward to it alll year.
3. the concessions stands who travel and work there didnt' even close to their regular yearly take (which goes up and down in cycles)
4. they had it worse when the pow wow director came by for their fees for the money goes to paying the weekend security.
5. the food might go to waste if not enough people show up.

myself I only made 55 dollars the first day when the first year i made 300, and the second year i made 125 i think (due to the weather).
and the weather wasn't that good on the first day as well this year.

as well i reduced my prices from 20 to 25,, to 10, 15, 20 and 25 (all i did was throw in the three card and 5 card spread ). i told my friend by email if i kept my regular prices on the first day I would of made maybe no readings as the ones that were taken were 10 and 15.

but the true answer besides a recession was that two reserves were offering BIG HUGE CASH PRIZES. i heard that one reserve was giving way brand new cards because an elder won 50 million and he donated them as gifts for the pow wow, and the other reserve was offering 10,000 dollars for something.

but the second day I made 200 dollars woot. but more then that, the sun came out , and for the grand entry there was people.. drums and dancers.
(personally i was hoping the first day that whereever they went to those pow wows that gave out big money ,, that the people would get what they want the first day and come back to eagle the second day so perhaps that happend i do not know ).

there is something to be said for watching the grand entry of a pow wow,, i didn't watch it the first day but the second day is always the best for every one knows it is the last day so that is when the attendance is best.
the traditional men dancers lead the way behind the eagle staff, and the then the grass dancers come behind, and then the little native boys..
then the jingle grass dancers come in, and then the fancy shawl dancers come in and then the little girls come in..
and then whoever missed the first wave comes all mixed.

the other part was seeing those not natives(or neechees which means indian) but visitors from the local town, invited to come dance, and so they were trying to dance like us. one person got so much into it that he was jumping around and going down (the mc told them to go down ,, go down,, eat the grass) and so he went down and came back up.
someone was so enthused they gave him 10 dollar bill or could be 20, they sent a little child to him and put it down at his feet and he looked suprised and bowed and everyone clapped.

then you had the give away, by then I had put away my tarot reading as it was too dark and went and watched the give away dance.
there i was in my bright green shirt standing to the side (i am 475 about 511) watching the dancers up close like a big green tree , or rock lol.
seeing my community lead the way for the others and people who are usually shy get up there and dancing. it was cool.

seeing all those people come in the second day after the abysmall first day renewed the heart of the community. the local elder next door to me talked about it how it made her happy that so many people showed up at last.

when you have that many people it makes the work of the volunteers cooks and everyone worth it. (i even got talked to into cooking some carrots in my oven for the feast , well my cousin cooked as i was down there reading tarots after).

before I go on into the tarot experience itself, I remember this..
I yearned for years to try to be a pow wow singer,, i tried it but it just never took. it is like loving to sing and wanting to but knowing that you are no singer.
i had the drum teacher tell me twice "you should be reading cards here " and then 3 years ago the day before the pow wow my friend tricked me into reading in a way for she said "WE" were going to read the cards together and instead i ended up alone as she danced eheh.

ohh i told my stepdad as i was getting out into the truck,, i got to go ,, "they are expecting me. " and he did his smile and said "who , there was no body yesterday ".

so to the readings themselves.

the first day
nothing major happend,
I had one reading where i had a big hit right off the bat, and there was this other person who knows the tarot so it was doing ok and she said ok i can see how you get that.
until i turned over her soul message and it was the nine of pentacles reversed.
and i said something to the effect somehow you been feeling alone for a long time even though you are married. and she was stunned.
she shared her husband was in jail and how did i know ?

now that wasn't a hit, in the sense of knowing her husband was in jail, but in a way it was for just acknowledging how she felt all this time was probaly what she needed for a possible release after she left.

the second day

the big thing that sticks out for me was this example..

there was a lady i was reading for and there was the world card.

i said ok now to use politics as an example you would feel that you should go into poltics to help out the world for that is something you been wanting to do a while, and to use construction worker as a example,, you don't know if you want to leave your job ..
she shared a minute later that she did want to enter into politics, and she was a safety inspector for a steel constuction site. (who knew eh ).
that just made me laugh but also sent shiver up mine spine eheh.

there was this lady who I did a pretty good tarot reading for,, not in the sense of hit after hit, but i did the best i could sense.
but she still needed more spiritual advice then i could give for traditional teachings.
the last hour or so i mostly shuffled the cards as there was people who wanted readings and i just had them hold them.
as well i just had them pick a bag who colours interested them.

so I look forward to next year, as it is a hoot to give good readings, make some coin on a side.and all day i get to listen to pow wow music (even now i don't know my own language but i sure love the melodies they sing )

Grizabella

Thanks for sharing this Holmes. I needed the lift today. You took me right to the pow wow with you. :) I appreciate that.

I'm also glad that it worked out so well for you and that you had a good time yourself. :)

franniee

Me Too Holmes! :heart:

LucyD

Thanks for all the detail! You did good on the readings, love.

OOnaOwl

Wonderful to have the honor to share your pow wow reading story. Thank you very much!